Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

What's on your summer reading list?

So far my works-in-progress looks like this:

The Lucifer Effect: Understanding How Good People Turn Evil, by Philip Zimbardo, social psychologist and creator of the Stanford Prison Experiment.

Boston, by Upton Sinclair, his novel based on the Sacco and Vanzetti case.

For an easy, fun read I highly recommend Sex Lives Of Cannibals by J. Maarten Troost.

Bar review books...probably taking another bar exam

Other than that, I will hopefully read the Barack Obama books along with the Coach K books (of which I'm sad to say I've been slipping on)
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA

I've already started The World is Flat by T.L. Friedman, hopefully next will be Audacity of Hope (I figure I should read it if he's going to be running for President, which it seems like he is), and then probably GRE review books toward the end of the summer.

Currently reading ‘Real Change" Newt Gingrich

Also working on "The Reagan Diaries" Ronald Reagan

Need to finish "Just Walk Across the Room" Bill Hybels

Want to read "Never Give In" Arlen Specter

Y'll are too serious. I'm on "The Last Juror" right now and may go to Suite Francaise next. I would like to read that Walmart book (The Walmart Effect?) at some point, as well as one of the Obama books that my dad gave me. But I'm just not a real big non-fiction reader. Even have the Coach K books but have not cracked them yet. I'm sorry!

I just finished "Bel Canto," by Ann Patchett -- a good beach book, with solid prose and a captivating story. I think I'll start Michener's "Caribbean" next. (I'm in the mood for an all-engrossing book, and you can live in a Michener world for weeks on end. Loved Hawaii, Alaska, and The Source!)

For entertainment while doing household chores and yardwork, I'm currently listening to "Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal," by Christopher Moore. It's pretty funny, somewhat irreverent, and again, good writing/prose.

Oh, and David Sedaris has a new book out, so that's high on the must-read list.

The new books by Fareed Zakaria and Robert Kagan.

I'm about to finish Mariette in Ecstasy by Ron Hansen which is the final book on the Duke Reads list for this year.

Nerdy

Monkeyluv: And Other Essays on Our Lives as Animals - Robert M. Sapolsky. I cannot put this book down.

The Elegant Universe - Bryan Greene. Not exactly a beach read, but I'm into it.

The Black Swan: The Impact of the Highly Improbable - Nassim Nicholas Taleb. I am beginning to rethink a few things.

Cougars - EarlJam. 'Nuff said.

Thumbs up Just one

Beowulf!

I'm about two-thirds of the way through A Confederacy of Dunces the Pulitizer Prize winner by John Kennedy Toole. The comedic exploits of Ignatius J. Reilly are extremely entertaining.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    I'm about two-thirds of the way through A Confederacy of Dunces the Pulitizer Prize winner by John Kennedy Toole. The comedic exploits of Ignatius J. Reilly are extremely entertaining.
    Oh, that's one of my favorites! I bought a copy in New Orleans and read it on the flight home. It was difficult not to laugh out loud. Other people couldn't understand what was so entertaining. For those who know NOLA, especially as it was before Katrina, this book is a treasure in its descriptions of places and people.

Such a great book with an interesting history behind it's publication. This is a must own.

The story of A Confederacy of Dunces lives on....

Quote Originally Posted by 2535Miles View Post
    Such a great book with an interesting history behind it's publication. This is a must own.
    The sad loss of the writer to suicide at a relatively young age and his mother's persistence to get the attention of a professor at Loyola could be story enough if there were no more to that story.

Ignatius J. Reilly and the rest of the characters live on at the Chateau Sonesta Hotel in NOLA. The hotel is housed in the building which once was the D. H. Holmes department store. The building has been cleverly renovated and offers the largest hotel rooms in the city, all with 12 foot high ceilings. The clock mentioned in the novel is now part of the decor of the bar known as The Clock Bar. The side of the building which faces Canal St. still has the windows of the department store "repurposed" for the hotel's displays. A statue of Ignatius stands in front of one of the display windows, his Wheel of Fortuna represented in a piece of art which is part of the window display... at least that's the way it was when I made my last visit, before the flood waters took over. In a wide hallway leading to Ralph Brennan's Red Fish Grill, memorabilia from the D. H. Holmes store is displayed in glass cases.

That is one of my all time favorites.
    ~rthomas

Would love to hear a review of the Zakaria book.

I'm currently reading (and would highly recommend) This Republic of Suffering by Drew Gilpin Faust, which is about the enormity of death during the Civil War.

I'd like to read A Peace to End All Peace by David Fromkin, Sedaris' new book, and The Counterlife by Philip Roth before summer's end.

Quote Originally Posted by Devil in the Blue Dress View Post
    The sad loss of the writer to suicide at a relatively young age and his mother's persistence to get the attention of a professor at Loyola could be story enough if there were no more to that story.
    The Loyola professor was a fellow name of Walker Percy, one of the country's best known novelists.

I'm currently reading The Dumbest Generation. A disappointment so far. I was expecting a much better dissection of our stupidity epidemic (not to put too fine a point on it).

NOTHING. For someone in the law, this is what is known as heaven...

Just kidding. I'm going to try to get through some classics that I have missed before - currently working on 1984. (Of course, I just finished 2001, so maybe years are the real theme.)

Nonfiction on the list that I am partway through: The Omnivore's Dilemma and Inside the Presidential Debates.

Quote Originally Posted by dkbaseball View Post
    The Loyola professor was a fellow name of Walker Percy, one of the country's best known novelists.

I'm currently reading The Dumbest Generation. A disappointment so far. I was expecting a much better dissection of our stupidity epidemic (not to put too fine a point on it).
    Have you tried A Nation of Wimps?