Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Waterloo, Ontario (unfortunately, no longer in London England).

Problems With Memory

Something in another thread got me thinking about memory. Actually, I've been thinking about it a lot lately as mine is terrible. Simply terrible.

Over the last couple of years I have been forgetting things a lot more often. I also seem to have trouble remembering words (if I am writing and looking for an alternate word for something, I absolutely have to use a thesaurus as alternatives, even though I know them, simply do not pop into my head). And when asked questions I sometimes find myself fumbling for an answer, or forgetting the question mid-answer, even if I know what I am talking about (I know, its rare for me to know what I am talking about).

But it is not like I am all that old - I just turned 39 on Wednesday of this week.

Does anyone else, especially in my age bracket, have similar problems? Can anyone recommend any exercises to help? Can anyone recommend any vitamins (or whatever) that might help? I asked my doctor about this the other day and she said nothing had been scientifically proven to work or she'd be eating them like candy herself - but I'm willing to try something myself to see if it works for me (science be damned).

I'm younger than you and have similar problems at times. I just attribute it to the fact that I've steeped my brain in alcohol for too long. Let me know if you get any good info as it's quite embarrassing when I can't remember things I should.

Quote Originally Posted by Clipsfan View Post
    I'm younger than you and have similar problems at times. I just attribute it to the fact that I've steeped my brain in alcohol for too long. Let me know if you get any good info as it's quite embarrassing when I can't remember things I should.
    Be careful of that should word. It is the basis of most self-flagellation!

I'm pretty sure my brain is pickled too but, when it comes to booze, I'm far more concerned about my liver suing me for divorce. Partying like I'm a member of Motley Crue is fun but has gotta take its toll eventually.

My problem isn't that I forget stuff, it's that there's nothing worth remembering. (Especially regarding Duke basketball, but that's veering dangerously on-topic.)

herbal remedy

Quote Originally Posted by colchar View Post
    Can anyone recommend any exercises to help? Can anyone recommend any vitamins (or whatever) that might help? I asked my doctor about this the other day and she said nothing had been scientifically proven to work or she'd be eating them like candy herself - but I'm willing to try something myself to see if it works for me (science be damned).
    Gotu kola is an ayurvedic herb that has a reputation for enhancing memory, among other things.

Thanks for reminding me, I need to go buy some for myself. You can find this product at just about any health food store.

I've also heard before (again, in Ayurvedic medicine) that milk is good for the brain cells, especially warm milk, perhaps a cup per day. There probably aren't any clinical studies to back it up, unfortunately.

Oh boy, what a topic!
    I am turning the big 4-0 in a few weeks and I have had some memory probs off and on for years!
    How one deals with (and improves) this is as varied as the things one tries to remember.
    I forget important things as well as trivial, however the steps I take to remind myself of the more important are more numerous and forceful for obvious reasons.

In recent weeks I have started carrying around a little note pad and am just a few weeks short of carrying around a mini-recorder. ha ha.

A few good things to have are understanding friends and loved ones to help remind you in advance and not to stomp ya if you do forget.
    Another idea or two is look into the herbal/natural remedies (Ginko bilboa) and of course mental exercises like crosswords, Scrabble, and the like.

I still have a bad memory, but not from the lack of trying to improve. I m doing somewhat better, but again, it's just a constant thing you'll have to work with. Like switch from right handed to left handed.

Quote Originally Posted by micah75 View Post

I've also heard before (again, in Ayurvedic medicine) that milk is good for the brain cells, especially warm milk, perhaps a cup per day. There probably aren't any clinical studies to back it up, unfortunately.
    I couldn't drink any more milk if I tried. It is my favourite drink and the amount I go through each week is, quite frankly, outrageous (easily three bags per week to myself).

Sure, alcohol kills brain cells. But only the weak ones.

This thread reminded me of a peom by Billy Collins:

Forgetfulness

The name of the author is the first to go
    followed obediently by the title, the plot,
    the heartbreaking conclusion, the entire novel
    which suddenly becomes one you have never read,
    never even heard of,

as if, one by one, the memories you used to harbor
    decided to retire to the southern hemisphere of the brain,
    to a little fishing village where there are no phones.

Long ago you kissed the names of the nine Muses goodbye
    and watched the quadratic equation pack its bag,
    and even now as you memorize the order of the planets,

something else is slipping away, a state flower perhaps,
    the address of an uncle, the capital of Paraguay.

Whatever it is you are struggling to remember,
    it is not poised on the tip of your tongue,
    not even lurking in some obscure corner of your spleen.

It has floated away down a dark mythological river
    whose name begins with an L as far as you can recall,
    well on your own way to oblivion where you will join those
    who have even forgotten how to swim and how to ride a bicycle.

No wonder you rise in the middle of the night
    to look up the date of a famous battle in a book on war.
    No wonder the moon in the window seems to have drifted
    out of a love poem that you used to know by heart.

-- Billy Collins

CRS Disease

But it is not like I am all that old - I just turned 39 on Wednesday of this week.
    You're 39? I thought you were a college grad student in your mid 20's.

Yes, at 39, you're a definite candidate for CRS disease. See below in white if you don't know what that is. Maybe even "sometimers" disease.

Can't Remember Sh*t
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post

Yes, at 39, you're a definite candidate for CRS disease. See below in white if you don't know what that is. Maybe even "sometimers" disease.

Can't Remember Sh*t

Remember, Ozzie, go NORTH tomorrow (Ocean on the right)!

Crud!

^I've got it too. I believe CRS is directly related to the amount of sleep I get or the amount I imbibe. 41 home Nats games does not help the latter - they drive everyone to drink.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Sure, alcohol kills brain cells. But only the weak ones.
    Thank you for making my day!

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    I started university but then took a decade off to go to work in the IT industry. I decided to go back to university in my early 30s to finish my BA and I've never left because I went on to do my MA and now this stupid PhD (who needs the real world?).

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Remember, Ozzie, go NORTH tomorrow (Ocean on the right)!
    It's as simple as turn left onto I-95 and then turn left 765 miles later to get home. (Well, there are a few turns before and after on each end, but both are less than 3 miles from exits at either end.) Having a GPS for this trip is really overkill.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Something in another thread got me thinking about memory. Actually, I've been thinking about it a lot lately as mine is terrible. Simply terrible.

Over the last couple of years I have been forgetting things a lot more often. I also seem to have trouble remembering words (if I am writing and looking for an alternate word for something, I absolutely have to use a thesaurus as alternatives, even though I know them, simply do not pop into my head). And when asked questions I sometimes find myself fumbling for an answer, or forgetting the question mid-answer, even if I know what I am talking about (I know, its rare for me to know what I am talking about).

Does anyone else, especially in my age bracket, have similar problems? Can anyone recommend any exercises to help? Can anyone recommend any vitamins (or whatever) that might help? I asked my doctor about this the other day and she said nothing had been scientifically proven to work or she'd be eating them like candy herself - but I'm willing to try something myself to see if it works for me (science be damned).
    At around 40, we don't have to worry about a diagnosis of dementia, on the other hand, a diet rich in antioxidants will help to ward that off... Vitamin C, Vitamin E. Dark Chocolate helps . I occasionally take co-enzyme Q-10 also. Of course none of this has caused any noticeable improvements in my memory, but who knows how bad it would be if I weren't doing this.

After Alzheimer's and vascular dementia (strokes), one of the leading causes of cognitive impairment in the elderly is due to vitamin B deficiencies: especially B12, but also B6... So take your Geritol.

Finally, the most common reason for memory issues in otherwise healthy people of our age? lack of sleep, that and stress.

So, chill out, take a nap, don't worry about forgetting your wife's name... It'll come back to you, otherwise you can always steal a peak at her mail.

Quote Originally Posted by g_olaf View Post
    At around 40, we don't have to worry about a diagnosis of dementia, on the other hand, a diet rich in antioxidants will help to ward that off... Vitamin C, Vitamin E. Dark Chocolate helps . I occasionally take co-enzyme Q-10 also. Of course none of this has caused any noticeable improvements in my memory, but who knows how bad it would be if I weren't doing this.

After Alzheimer's and vascular dementia (strokes), one of the leading causes of cognitive impairment in the elderly is due to vitamin B deficiencies: especially B12, but also B6... So take your Geritol.

Finally, the most common reason for memory issues in otherwise healthy people of our age? lack of sleep, that and stress.

So, chill out, take a nap, don't worry about forgetting your wife's name... It'll come back to you, otherwise you can always steal a peak at her mail.
    Does pregnancy/having kids contribute to memory loss? Seriously, I find that my short-term memory has really suffered since having kids. Other moms I speak to on the playground about this say it's happened to them too.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthgateWindsor View Post
    Does pregnancy/having kids contribute to memory loss? Seriously, I find that my short-term memory has really suffered since having kids. Other moms I speak to on the playground about this say it's happened to them too.
    I always found my children to have "short term memory loss" about all instructions!

Quote Originally Posted by SouthgateWindsor View Post
    YES! YES! YES!!! One theory I have is that the short term memory buffer is only so big, and with young kids, there just isn't a buffer big enough to hold everything! (Either that, or I left most of it on the delivery table...another theory of mine).

Now that my kids are in their late teens and I'm, well, not able to claim I'm in my thirties anymore...I'm reaching another milestone. Not only do the forties do something, but reduced estrogen does still more.

I'm wondering if I'll have any short term memory in my fifties!!!

memory

Quote Originally Posted by devil84 View Post
    YES! YES! YES!!! One theory I have is that the short term memory buffer is only so big, and with young kids, there just isn't a buffer big enough to hold everything! (Either that, or I left most of it on the delivery table...another theory of mine).

Now that my kids are in their late teens and I'm, well, not able to claim I'm in my thirties anymore...I'm reaching another milestone. Not only do the forties do something, but reduced estrogen does still more.

I'm wondering if I'll have any short term memory in my fifties!!!
    My wife still has a pretty good memory at that age. What we have encountered, however, is that I don't hear too good any more and she doesn't listen too good to what I say anymore.