Waterloo, Ontario (unfortunately, no longer in London England).

Question About Graves At Arlington

I was wondering if someone here could settle an argument a friend and I are having.

She is currently in Washington and, as a military historian, it was only natural that she visit Arlington this weekend. She sent me some photos and one of them she identified as being that of a 5-star General. She seemed to think he had been a General because there is a star at the top of his headstone.

I, on the other hand, think it is simply a Jewish Star of David placed there to denote the fact that this soldier was Jewish (just as Christian soldiers have crosses at the top of their headstones). Additionally, after this soldier's name, his home state is listed and, immediately under that, it says 'Col' which, to me, denotes that he was a Colonel.

Would somebody here who is more familiar than I with American military headstones mind giving me their interpretation of this? If required I can send the photo through a PM as I wouldn't be comfortable posting one of her pictures here (even though it was sent to me, it is still hers).

Thanks.

A key to the emblems on Arlington grave markers

Quote Originally Posted by colchar View Post
    I was wondering if someone here could settle an argument a friend and I are having.

She is currently in Washington and, as a military historian, it was only natural that she visit Arlington this weekend. She sent me some photos and one of them she identified as being that of a 5-star General. She seemed to think he had been a General because there is a star at the top of his headstone.

I, on the other hand, think it is simply a Jewish Star of David placed there to denote the fact that this soldier was Jewish (just as Christian soldiers have crosses at the top of their headstones). Additionally, after this soldier's name, his home state is listed and, immediately under that, it says 'Col' which, to me, denotes that he was a Colonel.

Would somebody here who is more familiar than I with American military headstones mind giving me their interpretation of this? If required I can send the photo through a PM as I wouldn't be comfortable posting one of her pictures here (even though it was sent to me, it is still hers).

Thanks.
    You can look up the emblem on this web page of authorized emblems of faith for grave markers at Arlington. http://www.arlingtoncemetery.org/fun...d_emblems.html

Quote Originally Posted by Devil in the Blue Dress View Post
    You can look up the emblem on this web page of authorized emblems of faith for grave markers at Arlington. http://www.arlingtoncemetery.org/fun...d_emblems.html
    Thank you...turns out I was right as I found a list of 5-star Generals (and Admirals) buried at Arlington and this particular soldier's name wasn't on it.

And I just received an email that you had tried to PM me but that my inbox was full. I've emptied it out a bit now but I'm assuming you were just going to send this info.

More than one kind of star authorized

Thank you...turns out I was right as I found a list of 5-star Generals (and Admirals) buried at Arlington and this particular soldier's name wasn't on it.

And I just received an email that you had tried to PM me but that my inbox was full. I've emptied it out a bit now but I'm assuming you were just going to send this info.
    Yes, I was trying to PM the information to you.

Depending on the type of star on the grave marker, it is possible that both you and your friend are incorrect in your interpretation of its meaning. There is more than one type of star among the authorized faith emblems. The link I sent you is really quite interesting!

That atheist emblem is rad.

In honor of Memorial Day, and to hijack a thread that is likely dead since Colchar received his answer, what fellow DBRers have relatives buried at Arlington?

To my knowledge, I only have one. My great great grandfather (direct male line) was a Colonel in WWI and founded the Forty and Eight Society. My dad and I went to Arlington for Memorial Day with a group from the society a few years back.

Quote Originally Posted by billybreen View Post

In honor of Memorial Day, and to hijack a thread that is likely dead since Colchar received his answer, what fellow DBRers have relatives buried at Arlington?

To my knowledge, I only have one. My great great grandfather (direct male line) was a Colonel in WWI and founded the Forty and Eight Society. My dad and I went to Arlington for Memorial Day with a group from the society a few years back.
    I don't know of any relative buried there, but I am related to Robert E. Lee who lived in the house up at the top of the hill in the cemetery. The story of how a national cemetery came to be on this site is a very sad story indeed. The property was taken by Union troops and never released to the previous owner, Mrs. Robert E. Lee. The decision was made to turn the large estate into a military cemetery designed in such a way as to make it impossible for anyone to return to live in the house.

Depending on the type of star on the grave marker, it is possible that both you and your friend are incorrect in your interpretation of its meaning. There is more than one type of star among the authorized faith emblems. The link I sent you is really quite interesting!
    You're right, it is very interesting. Based on that link though, I am fairly certain he was Jewish (if I could figure out how to attach a photo in a PM I'd send it to you).

My grandparents are buried there. My grandfather served in WWI. He died of lung cancer (my father believes related to mustard gas bombings) when my father was around 10 years old. He was underage and used his first and middle names to get into the army.

You're right, it is very interesting. Based on that link though, I am fairly certain he was Jewish (if I could figure out how to attach a photo in a PM I'd send it to you).
    Glad to hear that there is some sort of resolution. The information about Arlington National Cemetery is quite interesting.

Just an update on the original question...turns out that it was the tour guide who told her that the star at the top of that soldier's headstone indicates that he was a 5-star general. Well, that tour guide couldn't be more wrong as I've looked up the list of 5-star officers buried at Arlington (Generals and Admirals) and this soldier isn't listed as one of them (as I mentioned, his headstone clearly indicates that he was a Colonel).

It really stinks when tour guides are so ridiculously misinformed.

probably Jewish

I haven't been to Arlington, so I don't know exactly what the star looks like. But, I have been to Omaha Beach, and the markers with the stars are for Jewish soldiers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:W...anCemetery.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    I haven't been to Arlington, so I don't know exactly what the star looks like. But, I have been to Omaha Beach, and the markers with the stars are for Jewish soldiers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:W...anCemetery.JPG
    In this case the Star of David (or Christian Cross) is etched into the headstone itself rather than the headstone being shaped like the symbol as at Omaha Beach.

In this case the Star of David (or Christian Cross) is etched into the headstone itself rather than the headstone being shaped like the symbol as at Omaha Beach.
    Arlington uses a different type of headstone. see this wiki article picture and compare to the above Normandie article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arlingt...ional_Cemetery

I generally try to get to the Vietnam memorial (friends and one cousin) and to Arlington Cemetary to visit my dad's gravesite every memorial weekend. It has affected me a lot in recent years and I decided not to do it this year.

gw67

Quote Originally Posted by gw67 View Post
    I generally try to get to the Vietnam memorial (friends and one cousin) and to Arlington Cemetary to visit my dad's gravesite every memorial weekend. It has affected me a lot in recent years and I decided not to do it this year.

gw67
    I, too, have a great deal of difficulty at the Vietnam Memorial. I have quit going there - just too painful.

there is a difference between a general's star and the Star of David

Quote Originally Posted by billybreen View Post

As of a couple of weeks ago, I have 1.

Quote Originally Posted by xenic View Post
    As of a couple of weeks ago, I have 1.
    Condolences.