Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Justin Watts commits to UNC

3-star guard recruit from Durham Jordan. Perhaps a sign that Ellington is gone?

I also saw a quote from Green's dad that Green will be back if he is not going in the 1st round.

I guess he's back for a few years.,

Other schools besides UNC that offered Justin Watts a scholarship: East Carolina, Fairfield, and George Mason. Schools that he was interested in, but didn't offer him a scholarship: Temple, UVA, Clemson, UGA, IL, Penn St. Definitely a 4-year player. Nothing wrong with that, of course. UNC does need some of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    Other schools besides UNC that offered Justin Watts a scholarship: East Carolina, Fairfield, and George Mason. Schools that he was interested in, but didn't offer him a scholarship: Temple, UVA, Clemson, UGA, IL, Penn St. Definitely a 4-year player. Nothing wrong with that, of course. UNC does need some of them.
    More importantly for UNC, he's a guard which they won't have to many of next year if Lawson, Ellington and/or Green stay in the draft.

Word from UNC fans is that Coach Dawkins offered him a scholarship to Stanford, and that Watts said it came down to UNC and Stanford.

Quote Originally Posted by sandinmyshoes View Post
    Word from UNC fans is that Coach Dawkins offered him a scholarship to Stanford, and that Watts said it came down to UNC and Stanford.
    It also likely means that Ellington is gone.

I realize he's a basketball player, but it's always mind-boggling to hear/read that someone turned downed a full scholarship to an elite academic institution for a state school.

Quote Originally Posted by gotham devil View Post

I realize he's a basketball player, but it's always mind-boggling to hear/read that someone turned downed a full scholarship to an elite academic institution for a state school.
    perhaps being a stone's throw from home where his family can watch him play had something to do with it. I would guess he is fulfilling a child hood dream.
    My Quick Smells Like French Toast.

Quote Originally Posted by steven52682 View Post
    perhaps being a stone's throw from home where his family can watch him play had something to do with it. I would guess he is fulfilling a child hood dream.
    That's probably it.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Compared to some other state universities, UNC is pretty impressive, so I don't think that's a completely fair statement. I think given the close proximity and the caliber of the academics, it's fair choice. Plus, it's good to see someone come out of my high school!

I think there are as many reasons for picking where you will go to school as there are individuals making the decision.

Some kids probably like a smaller, more intimate campus. Others like larger schools. Some want to stay close to home. Others want to experience a different environment. Some want to stick with a family tradition. Others want to go beyond that tradition. The list could go on and on.

I hate the Heels as much as the next guy. Probably more. But UNC is a good spot for a kid to spend four years and a degree from there is a pretty good thing. Plus, some want to go to a big school as opposed to a small school, etc., and UNC does have a litte bit of history.

Taking off my royal blue shades for a minute: if my kid had a choice of playing hoops at UNC, East Carolina, Fairfield, or George Mason, that would be a pretty easy choice.

I haven't seen it spelled out---is Justin Watts in the HS class of 2008?...he'll be coming to Chapel Hill this fall?

Seems like a pretty good move by the Tar Heels to get a local guy who is willing to be a practice player and be used in a limited role. David Noel, for example, began with a similar role and developed into a good player.

for what its worth, nbadraft.net has Ellington going 27th to the Hornets. . .

mind-boggling? really? the aforementioned "state school" is in his, wait for it, home state! not to mention its a pretty good school in its own right, state school or not.

Quote Originally Posted by dukeENG2003 View Post
    for what its worth, nbadraft.net has Ellington going 27th to the Hornets. . .
    as i imagine you were implying, tisn't worth much.

anyone know if the invites have gone out for the NBA pre-draft camp in orlando. its in a couple weeks, so i imagine invites must have gone out by now but cant find any info...

What!

Justin is a kid I know personally, and this is a huge chance for him.

He did turn down Stanford but it is hard for a kid to go from Durham NC to Stanford, CA and move thousands of miles.

We are also forgetting, UNC is one of the top schools in the country no matter how much we dislike them, it is a great school and he is honored to be able to play for Roy and go to a prestigious school like the University of North Carolina

I don't know what people see in sticker man. I just don't like the guy and after that final four showing I don't think he prepares very well.

Quote Originally Posted by geraldsneighbor View Post
    I don't know what people see in sticker man. I just don't like the guy and after that final four showing I don't think he prepares very well.
    its those daggum coke commercials. such an unfair recruiting advantage!!

Quote Originally Posted by wolfpackdevil View Post
    Justin is a kid I know personally, and this is a huge chance for him.

He did turn down Stanford but it is hard for a kid to go from Durham NC to Stanford, CA and move thousands of miles.

We are also forgetting, UNC is one of the top schools in the country no matter how much we dislike them, it is a great school and he is honored to be able to play for Roy and go to a prestigious school like the University of North Carolina
    Academically, it's the equivalent of comparing a nice American car, such as a Cadillac, with a world-class car, like a Maybach.

Outside of the athletes, (even without bringing a full scholarship into the picture) I doubt Stanford loses more than five to eight kids per decade to a school like UNC-Chapel Hill. The Stanford admissions staff does its best to track the data. Good luck to the basketball player.

There were 60 coaches in the NCAA tourney alone that wished they could have not prepared themselves into the Final Four. Not to mention all those Division 1 coaches on the outside looking in on the tourney.

I think people see what they want to see, and more importantly perhaps, don't see what they don't want to see when it comes to a rival's coach. I know that I often have to scratch my head when I hear Coach K described by fans of other ACC schools. It's like they're looking at an entirely different person.