Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by sandinmyshoes View Post
    There were 60 coaches in the NCAA tourney alone that wished they could have not prepared themselves into the Final Four. Not to mention all those Division 1 coaches on the outside looking in on the tourney.
    Well put. It's better to have someone who's preparing to play for a spot in the championship instead of someone who's preparing to get an early-jump on recruiting.

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    As far as I know, the last Durham Jordan kid to play for UNC was Cliff Morris, a walk-on in the '80s and now a cardiologist. Also my classmate at Jordan.

Go Falcons!

Hmm, another Jordan kid at UNC. I can't root for him, but I probably won't too vocally root against him either.

Quote Originally Posted by gotham devil View Post

Outside of the athletes, (even without bringing a full scholarship into the picture) I doubt Stanford loses more than five to eight kids per decade to a school like UNC-Chapel Hill.
    Oh, come on.

cont...

Academically, it's the equivalent of comparing a nice American car, such as a Cadillac, with a world-class car, like a Maybach.

Outside of the athletes, (even without bringing a full scholarship into the picture) I doubt Stanford loses more than five to eight kids per decade to a school like UNC-Chapel Hill. The Stanford admissions staff does its best to track the data. Good luck to the basketball player.
    The points you make are very true.

but i think we are a little to used to the acedemic greatness at Duke. Justin is just an average Durham kid, I played against him and hes a great guy with a great passion for bball.

The point is the an Average kid from Durham, NC is going to get an unbelievable education at UNC, he will also play for one of the top Basketball programs ever and he will get to stay close to his family and friends.

enough said

Academically, it's the equivalent of comparing a nice American car, such as a Cadillac, with a world-class car, like a Maybach.

Outside of the athletes, (even without bringing a full scholarship into the picture) I doubt Stanford loses more than five to eight kids per decade to a school like UNC-Chapel Hill. The Stanford admissions staff does its best to track the data. Good luck to the basketball player.
    Stanford is similar to Duke in that it's non-revenue sports are good, it's the revenue sports which have been suffering recently. Given that many athletes in non-revenue sports look to the degree, I doubt that Stanford loses many athletes to UNC unless geography is a large issue.

unc/stanford

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    I hate the Heels as much as the next guy. Probably more. But UNC is a good spot for a kid to spend four years and a degree from there is a pretty good thing. Plus, some want to go to a big school as opposed to a small school, etc., and UNC does have a litte bit of history.

Taking off my royal blue shades for a minute: if my kid had a choice of playing hoops at UNC, East Carolina, Fairfield, or George Mason, that would be a pretty easy choice.
    Except the original reference was stanford/unc. However, hating the holes probably even more than you do, I can painfully see why a 18 year old would choose unc, a school about 10 miles from home when travel distance, family and other factors like that are considered.

George Mason however, is another story. They have owned the holes in recent years, IIRC.

Interesting articles on another potential late UNC recruit

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-...,2935207.story

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/story/1074621.html

"If they can't make the tournament next year, that's what we're going to college for," Jermaine DeRozan said. "If you do your one year, you at least have to shine and get to the tournament with the intentions of winning it or get to the Elite Eight."

I forgot that going to a four year state university is barely one step above attending beauty college.

I realize that we're talking about an in-state kid here, but it is worth noting that for an out-of-state kid, UNC and Stanford are about equally as selective.

Quote Originally Posted by gvtucker View Post
    I realize that we're talking about an in-state kid here, but it is worth noting that for an out-of-state kid, UNC and Stanford are about equally as selective.
    ...unless you're also a legacy.

Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post
    ...unless you're also a legacy.
    ...or a major donor.

Which doesn't make Stanford or UNC any different than most any other selective university.

admissions standards

Quote Originally Posted by gvtucker View Post
    It might be true that the two schools accept a similar percentage of applicants (looking only at out-of-state students for UNC) but this does not mean they are equally as selective. The pool of applicants to UNC is huge, a lot of people want to go there for a lot of different reasons, but overall I would have to believe that students applying to Stanford have higher academic credentials than those applying to UNC.

Quote Originally Posted by RelativeWays View Post
    I forgot that going to a four year state university is barely one step above attending beauty college.
    I'm hoping this is sarcastic in a positive way towards state universities.

I graduated from UNC-Greensboro, so thats a hint.