Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Moron on the road nearly killed me - what to do?

Here's a question for the group; so I'm driving to work this morning on the interstate, going 70 miles an hour, and this huge moving truck swerves over practically on top of me. Thankfully, I was able to swerve into the lane beside me and no one was there and I didn't lose control of my car. The moving van, on the other hand, continued to change lanes every 5 minutes, sometimes signaling, sometimes not, obviously an accident waiting to happen. I got this idiot's license plate number, truck number, etc. and called his employer when I got to work to give him/her a piece of my mind.

Well - the "work number" listed on the truck is in fact a cell number and nobody answered. The web site is down. I think their corporate offices are in the Bahamas.

Does a citizen have any recourse in an instance like this? I mean, I suppose I could file a traffic report or something, but I don't think the cops can take an official report merely because I said that something happened. Is there *any* way to get this driver off the road??

I would think that since you were a witness to his/her erratic driving, should he/she get in an accident you could attest to their poor driving prior to the accident.

But, I'm not a lawyer and I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

In some states you can dial *HP and it will connect you to the Highway Patrol. I'm not sure if they're responsive or not, but I'd give that a try.

Quote Originally Posted by 2535Miles View Post
    In some states you can dial *HP and it will connect you to the Highway Patrol. I'm not sure if they're responsive or not, but I'd give that a try.
    Highway patrol in Kansas, and perhaps other states, can pull a truck over at anytime for a bumper to bumper inspection, which can take a very long time. It tends to defeat the trucker's purpose of speeding when that happens. (I actually saw this happen when on a bike trip - cyclists called to complain about a truck not giving enough room when passing, etc. and a few miles down the road we saw the same truck pulled over and being inspected. I didn't laugh too hard. )

I think you could call it in to the police while it's happening, but they'd have to catch him in the act.

One time driving home I noticed the driver in the car following me was obviously drunk. So I called the local police from my cell phone and they kept me on the phone and set a trap. They stopped the car, and I went on my way, wondering what they found. Later in the week, in the police reports in the local paper, they wrote that the driver had a blood alcohol level three times the limit and there were numerous empty containers in the car. When I read that I didn't feel so bad about turning him in.

If you were in a left lane and not passing cars to the right of you, throw your keys down the sewer, take a bus home, and write "I will not be in a left lane except to pass" a few million times before even thinking about getting back into a car.

I don't care whether you were doing the speed limit or whether you thought you were doing a sufficient speed, most accidents and most traffic slowdowns are caused or contributed to by drivers who will move one, two or three lanes from the right with no intention of passing and foul up traffic flow.

And put down the cell phone while you are driving. That is now the number one cause of accidents. I can always pick out the driver up ahead who is talking on the cell phone. Such drivers are generally distracted and would not have noticed the erratic driving of the van until it swerved into their lane. Observant drivers typically notice the oncoming danger before it is right on top of them.

Reporting the moving van driver is a long-shot, but worth it if a state cop is on the road nearby.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    I don't care whether you were doing the speed limit or whether you thought you were doing a sufficient speed, most accidents and most traffic slowdowns are caused or contributed to by drivers who will move one, two or three lanes from the right with no intention of passing and foul up traffic flow.

And put down the cell phone while you are driving. That is now the number one cause of accidents. I can always pick out the driver up ahead who is talking on the cell phone. Such drivers are generally distracted and would not have noticed the erratic driving of the van until it swerved into their lane. Observant drivers typically notice the oncoming danger before it is right on top of them.
    I'm confused. Are more accidents caused by people moving from the right, or talking on the cellphone? And here I thought that 16 year olds and drunk drivers were the ones to look out for. Either way, I'm cool: all of the above are annoying. I just want to clarify the object(s) of my disgust.

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    I'm confused. Are more accidents caused by people moving from the right, or talking on the cellphone? And here I thought that 16 year olds and drunk drivers were the ones to look out for. Either way, I'm cool: all of the above are annoying. I just want to clarify the object(s) of my disgust.
    Sorry, drivers in wrong lane leading contributor to HIGHWAY accidents and traffic. Cell phones number one cause of accidents overall (mostly rear end collisions at lights), and a significant contributor to highway accidents.

It is amazing the effect individual drivers can have on traffic patterns. I studied a bit of traffic engineering back in the 70s, and can only imagine what the modeling is like now with so many datapoints available and improved algorithms and processing power. Even my archaic studies led me to hate drivers who don't pay attention and disrupt traffic at lights and on highways. Courteous drivers improve traffic flow significantly.

Sorry, drivers in wrong lane leading contributor to HIGHWAY accidents and traffic. Cell phones number one cause of accidents overall (mostly rear end collisions at lights), and a significant contributor to highway accidents.

It is amazing the effect individual drivers can have on traffic patterns. I studied a bit of traffic engineering back in the 70s, and can only imagine what the modeling is like now with so many datapoints available and improved algorithms and processing power. Even my archaic studies led me to hate drivers who don't pay attention and disrupt traffic at lights and on highways. Courteous drivers improve traffic flow significantly.
    This area of study has always fascinated me. If in a few years I wanted to make a serious career change to study traffic and figure out how to improve efficiency on roads in large metropolitan (urban and suburban) areas - where would I even begin?

One of the major things I could potentially see happening in the future - through the use of WiFi in cars - is improving traffic light efficiency. I get pretty frustrated when I have a red left turn arrow, and yet I can clearly see no oncoming traffic in the other lane. Sometimes I have to sit there for several minutes, and when it finally changes to let me turn, that's when oncoming traffic starts to come and now they are completely stopped while waiting on me. If we had some sort of technology to be swapping light cycles much quicker based on data from long distances (say up to 300 yards away instead of the actual sensor right there at the stop) a whole world of possibilities is opened.

Quote Originally Posted by snowdenscold View Post
    One of the major things I could potentially see happening in the future - through the use of WiFi in cars - is improving traffic light efficiency. I get pretty frustrated when I have a red left turn arrow, and yet I can clearly see no oncoming traffic in the other lane. Sometimes I have to sit there for several minutes, and when it finally changes to let me turn, that's when oncoming traffic starts to come and now they are completely stopped while waiting on me. If we had some sort of technology to be swapping light cycles much quicker based on data from long distances (say up to 300 yards away instead of the actual sensor right there at the stop) a whole world of possibilities is opened.
    There was a study done a couple years ago (I think @UT, but I can't remember) where they proposed a light-less intersection. There was a Java applet simulation of dozens of cars going in all 4 directions on a 4 lane road, each car slowing down or speeding up so that no car would have to come to a complete stop. The idea was to utilize some sort of an ad-hoc network of cars like you're proposing. Automated parking was a topic of interest to me for a while.. I wish I could find that site but my googling is failing me today.

didn't find the site I wanted but this is cool too: http://vwisb7.vkw.tu-dresden.de/~treiber/MicroApplet/

Smile Staying Loose and Happy and Safe

Being one who spends 8-12 hours daily on highways in NC, SC, VA, TN, GA and others, I'd respond to a lot of these ideas but my blood pressure doesn't need the stress increase. I'll only say that one of the benefits of driving at speeds that are within usual law tolerances, is that it will afford you the ability to watch out for steering tendencies of other drivers that may surround you. Always keep yourself in a position to have "a way out". Keep your following and passing spaces appropriate for your speed and direction of travel. Watch out for the other guy and drive defensively.

Most all state highway patrol offices have dispatchers who will be more than happy to respond from an alert from motorists that report traffic problems as they happen, called into *HP.

BTW. Just to make certain to lay in a stereotype before I leave, one of every four vehicles, traveling on interstate highways in Georgia after 5PM on Fridays, have an open container of alcohol inside them. The closer one gets to Atlanta, the ratio increases.

If you were in a left lane and not passing cars to the right of you, throw your keys down the sewer, take a bus home, and write "I will not be in a left lane except to pass" a few million times before even thinking about getting back into a car.

BD, pleased be advised that Saturday morning, starting about 8 a.m., I will be driving north from Ft. Lauderdale to Smithfield, NC on the Florida Turnpike and I-95. My speed will be no more than 7 or 8 mph over the posted limit (and probably less), whether I am in the right lane or left lane, passing someone going 1 mph slower than me. If you have to slow down from 90 to 71 and follow me while I inch by the car I'm passing, tough noogies. Live with it.

Speed doesn't cause accidents, speed differential does. I know, it contradicts what I said above but it the speed limit were higher, I'd drive faster, but it isn't so I don't. I find it is usually faster to drive close to the limit than it is to spend 30 minutes going zero while discussing the situation with the local highway patrolman or sheriff. And it is certainly cheaper.

Driving down here last Sunday, I noticed that the indicated gas mileage on my car's trip computer was ~2 mpg better at 70 than 78 (29 vs. 27 mpg). I compromised at 74 and still made the trip in under 12 hours.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by captmojo View Post
    BTW. Just to make certain to lay in a stereotype before I leave, one of every four vehicles, traveling on interstate highways in Georgia after 5PM on Fridays, have an open container of alcohol inside them. The closer one gets to Atlanta, the ratio increases.
    Also, on Fridays between December and April, one out of every three vehicles heading southbound on 75 through metro Atlanta sports a license plate from either Ohio, Michigan or Illinois. With the Illinois ones going the fastest.

alteran is offline All-American, Honorable Mention
    Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    BD, pleased be advised that Saturday morning, starting about 8 a.m., I will be driving north from Ft. Lauderdale to Smithfield, NC on the Florida Turnpike and I-95. My speed will be no more than 7 or 8 mph over the posted limit (and probably less), whether I am in the right lane or left lane, passing someone going 1 mph slower than me. If you have to slow down from 90 to 71 and follow me while I inch by the car I'm passing, tough noogies. Live with it.

Speed doesn't cause accidents, speed differential does. I know, it contradicts what I said above but it the speed limit were higher, I'd drive faster, but it isn't so I don't. I find it is usually faster to drive close to the limit than it is to spend 30 minutes going zero while discussing the situation with the local highway patrolman or sheriff. And it is certainly cheaper.
    Congratulations, Oz, you're officially part of the problem.

While everything you've said is well-reasoned, it turns out that there are well-reasoned arguments for driving 15 miles over, 10 miles over, 5 miles over, exactly right, 5 miles under, and 10 miles under. Combine that with lots of people being just as much a zealot about their interpretations of "driving right and wrong" and you have a recipe for frustration, headaches, and accidents.

Look, there's only two reasons to get out of the passing lane when you're not passing: 1) it saves lives, and 2) it's courteous.

It's unfortunate that you feel so great about giving both of those a pass, pun intended.

Ozzie, I live by the save driving philosophies!

I'll be heading the other direction going down 95S tomorrow to Hilton Head. Best of luck in your travels!

i have an elegant simple solution...

A-holes and situations like this are precisely why I keep a few live grenades in the glove box..

That SOB wont be cutting me of again..

Quote Originally Posted by alteran View Post
    Congratulations, Oz, you're officially part of the problem.

While everything you've said is well-reasoned, it turns out that there are well-reasoned arguments for driving 15 miles over, 10 miles over, 5 miles over, exactly right, 5 miles under, and 10 miles under. Combine that with lots of people being just as much a zealot about their interpretations of "driving right and wrong" and you have a recipe for frustration, headaches, and accidents.

Look, there's only two reasons to get out of the passing lane when you're not passing: 1) it saves lives, and 2) it's courteous.

It's unfortunate that you feel so great about giving both of those a pass, pun intended.
    You're saying he should get out of the passing lane when not passing, but what he said was "whether I am in the right lane or left lane, passing someone going 1 mph slower than me." In other words he is passing whether he's going fast enough for you or not.

I'm on Ozzie's side here. if I am going 68 passing someone who is going 65 and you come flying up behind me going 78 you can just slow down until I have passed Mr. 65 and get back in the right lane. Instead what most drivers do is tailgate me and even sometimes try to pass me in the 3 car length gap between the two cars that I am in the process of passing. I guess I'm part of the problem too. if so, too bad. I like getting 50 mpg.

morons

Quote Originally Posted by wilko View Post
    A-holes and situations like this are precisely why I keep a few live grenades in the glove box..

That SOB wont be cutting me of again..
    That is frightening that someone else has those same thoughts...

alteran is offline All-American, Honorable Mention
    Quote Originally Posted by merry View Post
    You're saying he should get out of the passing lane when not passing, but what he said was "whether I am in the right lane or left lane, passing someone going 1 mph slower than me." In other words he is passing whether he's going fast enough for you or not.
    True merry, but what he is responding to was someone saying, "get out of the passing lane when you're not passing." I read into his confrontational language a little more than "I'm passing at three miles an hour," which would almost never end up in someone tailing someone else.

If I read too much into his post (like you did into mine), I apologize.

Part of what made me respond in the manner I did was the confrontational manner of road etiquette Ozzie was advocating, which I'm picking up from you as well.

I note that you and Ozzie felt compelled to ascribe tailgating driving styles to BD80 and me, so let me disabuse you one false assumption right now-- I don't tailgate. It's stupid and it's dangerous. And about half the time, I have kids in my minivan.

So, I'm not the guy up your tailpipe. I'm the one 12 cars back, with a guy up MY tailpipe making me stressed and nervous, watching you and BD80 go at it passive-aggressively WAAAY up ahead while cars and tailgaters pile up in both lanes on 147 trying to get around-- and wondering why, why both of you can't just lighten up, or at least get out of the damn passing lane.
    Last edited by alteran; 05-24-2008 at 12:34 AM. Reason: a smiley never hurts, particularly when it clarifies

Quote Originally Posted by merry View Post
    I'm on Ozzie's side here. if I am going 68 passing someone who is going 65 and you come flying up behind me going 78 you can just slow down until I have passed Mr. 65 and get back in the right lane. Instead what most drivers do is tailgate me and even sometimes try to pass me in the 3 car length gap between the two cars that I am in the process of passing. I guess I'm part of the problem too. if so, too bad. I like getting 50 mpg.
    I totally disagree with Ozzie. Bud Light is virtually indistinguishable from carbonated water. (Oops, wrong thread.)

Merry, I'm truly sorry to hear about your suicidal tendencies. One day, when you are self-righteously holding up some idiot, and he tries to pass in the "3 car length gap", he's going to cause a BIG wreck with you in the middle of it. Road rage is a major cause of accidents. Don't be the cause or the target.

When I'm going to pass, I check to see if any high speed traffic is coming. If it is, I wait and let them by. I've even been known to take the car off Cruise Control! When passing, if the speed differential is too low, I speed up a little to make the pass. This is just common sense, courteous driving, and I am always appreciative when someone shows me the same courtesy. Driving side by side for miles with someone because your cruise controls are set nearly the same is dangerous and stupid, not to mention the traffic backup and flaring tempers behind you. I try not to be an I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this..