Humorous Encounter with an ACC Fan

I was in the middle of a neighborhood art walk yesterday (in Portland, OR) when a middle-aged jogger approached and genuinely said, "Nice shirt!" I happened to be wearing the first Duke shirt I sent away for after learning of my undergrad acceptance in spring of '99. The "Basic Math" shirt is still sold through the University Stores. I smiled and thanked him as he jogged by.

As he passed, I noticed that he was wearing a 2005 UNC championship shirt. In my neck of the woods, that almost has to mean that the guy was an alum (or at least a relative of one... bangwagon jumpers would be younger and woulh have more generic UNC gear). So I immediately came to the conclusion that my Tar Heel neighbor just didn't understand how the the "greater than" sign works, thus providing more evidence for the statement on the shirt. I thought that you all might appreciate that little anecdote.
    Last edited by JBDuke; 05-19-2008 at 03:30 PM. Reason: typo fixed

definitely a good story--he could be one of those rare rival fans that appreciates a good jab. Chalk it up to laughing at yourself. For instance, though we know the little known truth about Duke having more Carolinians (I'm including both) than any other state--I believe that is the "little known codicil" (with a nod to Animal House) that James Duke set things up that way.

Still, I get a chuckle out of the joke about two Duke students talking with one another and the one says, "Hey, I thought I saw your house on the Sopranos last nite".

>

Wait, wait are you telling me > means greater than? %#$#$!!!!!!!! No wonder my first wife got everything when we split up! Seriously, good story.

Quote Originally Posted by devilirium View Post
    definitely a good story--he could be one of those rare rival fans that appreciates a good jab. Chalk it up to laughing at yourself.
    Agreed. We're talking about Portland, Oregon. Even the Carolina fans are cooler there.

Hans thinks JJ likes men.

Not a humorous encounter with a fan. but with Hansborough. Saw him hammered at the bar Saturday night. My buddy who was with me played at Clemson so he knows some of those guys (he was with Frasor, Ginyard, and Wes Miller) and proceeded to tell him how much I liked Duke, especially JJ Redick. Needless to say we screamed at each other for a minute straight. Apparently he hates Redick...who would have thought?

Hans

Yeah, start talking about pedicures and scented candles and Hans would've gone into orbit. You were smart to keep it focused on Redick. :O)

Quote Originally Posted by Huh? View Post
    Not a humorous encounter with a fan. but with Hansborough. Saw him hammered at the bar Saturday night. My buddy who was with me played at Clemson so he knows some of those guys (he was with Frasor, Ginyard, and Wes Miller) and proceeded to tell him how much I liked Duke, especially JJ Redick. Needless to say we screamed at each other for a minute straight. Apparently he hates Redick...who would have thought?
    You should've asked Hanswalker if he carries a passport when he plays...cuz he TRAVELS EVERYWHERE!
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA

Quote Originally Posted by juise View Post
    I was in the middle of a neighborhood art walk yesterday (in Portland, OR) when a middle-aged jogger approached and genuinely said, "Nice shirt!" I happened to be wearing the first Duke shirt I sent away for after learning of my undergrad acceptance in spring of '99. The "Basic Math" shirt is still sold through the University Stores. I smiled and thanked him as he jogged by.

As he passed, I noticed that he was wearing a 2005 UNC championship shirt. In my neck of the woods, that almost has to mean that the guy was an alum (or at least a relative of one... bangwagon jumpers would be younger and woulh have more generic UNC gear). So I immediately came to the conclusion that my Tar Heel neighbor just didn't understand how the the "greater than" sign works, thus providing more evidence for the statement on the shirt. I thought that you all might appreciate that little anecdote.
    That's awesome, Juise! I went back to Durham for the '03 Reunion (I know, ours is next year), and I got another basic math shirt. I think my first one got placed in the Goodwill pile years back.
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA

Quote Originally Posted by Huh? View Post

I would have sent him over a cold Zima.

Portland, Oregon? Home of tree hugging Obama supporters? What's a Dukie doing there? I know, you went to get a case or two of Pinot Noir! You need a Duke degree to afford it.

I sent him a shot of water.

Wouldn't any Duke fan buying Hansbrough a drink be compelled to send him a double Johnny Walker?

I thought I saw him near the bathroom at 22 looking really angry...

hahah, I'm sure he was. I saw him at Reddogs.

Basic Math

5 or 6 years back, when my son was 7 or 8, we were in Grand Tetons National Park, in line waiting for a boat. My son had his basic math shirt on.
    A woman in her 20s standing behind us saw part of the shirt and said to her companions, "look, this little boy has a Carolina shirt on".

I said, "It's not exactly a Carolina shirt. Ben, turn a little."

As he turned, her jaw dropped, and she said, "I don't like that shirt".

One of her friends laughed and said, "I went to Wake Forest and I think that's a great shirt".

Guess some Carolina fans do know what ">" means.

Quote Originally Posted by Stray Gator View Post
    Wouldn't any Duke fan buying Hansbrough a drink be compelled to send him a double Johnny Walker?
    You know its a lot, lot more fun when the rivalry can be all about clever harmless jokes.

That was a great one Stray Gator!!!!

I had a funny encounter with JR Reid once. There was a time (he may still) when he owned "Players" on franklin street. I for one, think the place is a cheezy dump. So I was a bit toasty and walked up to him and said "hey man, what did you pay for this dump of a bar?" He got so pissed off.......granted I was a little rude but couldnt help myself.