Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    FilmDrunk just destroys the new Indy Film. I don't see reviews on FilmDrunk very often, which makes this review somewhat notable. Then again, I don't read FilmDrunk all that much so maybe he reviews stuff all the time.

--Jason "FilmDrunk is somewhat associated with WWTDD and WithLeather" Evans

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    FilmDrunk just destroys the new Indy Film. I don't see reviews on FilmDrunk very often, which makes this review somewhat notable. Then again, I don't read FilmDrunk all that much so maybe he reviews stuff all the time.

--Jason "FilmDrunk is somewhat associated with WWTDD and WithLeather" Evans
    Yeah, no thanks. If FilmDrunk is anywhere close to the mark, I'm even less interested than I was from the trailers. Think I'll be waiting a few years till this one shows up on HBOHD.

Just a public service announcement in connection with Jason's WWTDD mention, do not visit that site today if you are a fan of 1) Mythbusters or 2) your eyes. You've been warned.

I think Jason Evans does an extremely nice job of being extremely nice in his review, and I very much look forward to hearing his more detailed and nuanced thoughts on the movie once more people have seen it.

I must agree, however, with the poster that found it to be more of a disappointment than Temple of Doom. And it went well beyond the unrealistic escapes, IMO, and much more to the direction of the story and the way in which that story was told.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Corey View Post
    I think Jason Evans does an extremely nice job of being extremely nice in his review, and I very much look forward to hearing his more detailed and nuanced thoughts on the movie once more people have seen it.

I must agree, however, with the poster that found it to be more of a disappointment than Temple of Doom. And it went well beyond the unrealistic escapes, IMO, and much more to the direction of the story and the way in which that story was told.
    I just got back and was likewise disappointed..I'd still put it slightly above Temple. I actually really liked half the movie but really hated the other half...unfortunately, the good parts and bad parts were so mixed together that I never fully got into the story..To me it seemed like they tried too hard to recreate what made Raiders so great, but it came off forced and campy..oh well, 6 weeks until The Dark Knight.

A friend and I went yesterday, and we were pleasantly surprised (thanks Jason for the lowered expectations). We went it looking for just a good, comfortable, fun experience with an old friend, and we got that. Most of the other folks in the theatre seemed to agree, there was even some applause at the end. Was it cutting edge, unbelievably wow, on the edge of your seat? Nope, but I enjoyed it anyway. However, I liked the third one (which others here didn't like as much).

Metacritic anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Clipsfan View Post
    That's one of my problems with their fresh ratings. First, they're subjective as to whether they call a rating fresh or not. Second, although there is an average score, no one references that. They only reference the fresh rating. So, as long as everyone thinks the movie is slightly above average you'll have a high fresh rating.
    I was a longtime fan of Rotten Tomatoes, though relatively soured on trusting the simple Tomatometer score due to the above noted reasons.

For any who don't utilize it, Metacritic (www.metacritic.com) does at least provide an average of each reviewers overall score, rather than forcing each review into a thumbsup/thumbs down score, while still offering direct links to each review. Of course, Metacritic also provides the same reviewing of music, dvds, tv shows and games, which some may like and others may feel dilutes the quality of the focus on movie reviews.

FWIW, this film is currently at a respectable but far from exceptional 67 out of 100 on Metacritic, with a more disappointing user rating of 5.5/10.

[btw, I am in no way connected with Metacritic, just mentioning it for any interested in another source of aggregated review scores.]

Go Duke!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Go Blue Devils!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GTHCGTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by ikiru36; 05-24-2008 at 01:19 PM.

Perhaps I missed reading about two more Indy movies?

"This should be the first of three new Indy movies. The next two, as I reported here exclusively last week, will feature Shia LeBoeuf who plays Indy Jr., aka Mutt Jones. Harrison Ford will of course return as the Indiana eminence grise, as Lucas told me he'd thought it out."

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,357988,00.html

Quote Originally Posted by BCGroup View Post
    "This should be the first of three new Indy movies. The next two, as I reported here exclusively last week, will feature Shia LeBoeuf who plays Indy Jr., aka Mutt Jones. Harrison Ford will of course return as the Indiana eminence grise, as Lucas told me he'd thought it out."

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,357988,00.html
    Just what we need from Lucas: another trilogy rehashing his good ideas from 20 years ago, demonstrating that he has none now.

Quote Originally Posted by billybreen View Post
    Just what we need from Lucas: another trilogy rehashing his good ideas from 20 years ago, demonstrating that he has none now.
    Who will be the Indiana Jones equivalent of Jar Jar Binks?

Maybe he can even go back to the old Indiana Jones movies and change things people liked.

I suspect there will be more Indy movies, however Shia Lebouf will be the "next generation". It stands to reason. Look what they're doing with other Franchise (Star Trek... only in reverse, to name one).

Next movie: Indiana Jones Jr: The search for more money!

Quote Originally Posted by prefan21 View Post
    Good question. Sounds like there's a place in Hollywood for our own EarlJam.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Yup, for sure.

As I said, it is not nearly as fresh and fabulous as Raiders and it is not nearly as hokey and horrible as Temple of Doom. It falls in between, fairly close to Last Crusade.

The more I think about it, the more I think my review reads more negatively than it should have. The film does move along at a nice pace and the action sequences are exceptionally well-directed and show real craftsmanship -- even if they are borderline silly in terms of what actually happens in them.

--Jason "expectations baby-- I am doing you a favor by lowering expectations " Evans
    Just to throw in my 2 cents, I don't think Indy 4 even remotely compares to Last Crusade- which, in my opinion, is the best of the original trilogy and one of my all-time favorite movies. It's basically Raiders + Sean Connery, which equals a whole lot of awesome.

Anyway, I would place Indy 4 above Temple of Doom, but significantly below the other two. But I am glad my expectations were lowered by all the lukewarm reviews, because I ended up really enjoying it. As difficult as it is to recapture the old magic (which I'd imagine George Lucas would've figured out by now...) it's still entertaining and fun to watch.

I could've done without some of the CGI though.

Wink I always thought...

Quote Originally Posted by prefan21 View Post

Maybe he can even go back to the old Indiana Jones movies and change things people liked.
    that we already had our Jar Jar Binks. Her name is Kate Capshaw.

On track for a decent opening?

USA Today projecting a good opening, despite mixed reviews:

"The fourth installment of the whip-cracking professor's exploits, Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, grossed an estimated $101 million from Friday to Sunday, plus $25 million from its opening Thursday, distributor Paramount Pictures said. The company expects it to earn another $25 million on Monday. That would put it behind only Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End, which had a Friday-through-Monday total of $139.8 million, in the pantheon of Memorial Day weekend blockbusters.Including Thursday's receipts, Indiana Jones was expected to collect $151 million over five days, slightly behind Pirates, which took in $153 million with a partial Thursday included."

http://www.usatoday.com/life/movies/...analysis_N.htm

I guess that just shows how desperate people are for ANYTHING. I've been underwhelmed by movie offerings so far this year.

I do plan to see Son of Rambow however, if it ever comes near my town.

refrigerator

I went and saw it with my wife last night and enjoyed it. I came in expecting the great escapes and tons of bullets that never even swipe Indy. The greatest escape in my mind and craziest was when he got in the fridge...those who saw it know what I am talking about. Kind of a weird ending but I guess it sets up Shia for another franchise. Indy and Transformers what a lucky guy...

This franchise seems to have really worn out its welcome with me. I would have walked out on it if I hadn't been with my brother-in-law.

The tiresome extrications from various predicaments not only took up 90 percent of the movie, but they have gone completely over the top in cartoonishness and unbelieveability. In that vein, Ford feels obliged to camp it up all the time now, which he doesn't do very well. Karen Allen does feisty now with all the timing and gusto of a stroke-victim. I always pull for my fellow old people, but these two really don't belong in the leads of a movie like this anymore.

I rate this movie fourth best in the series (though as I say, this kind of "action" thing just doesn't hold me for two hours anymore). The thugee business in Temple of Doom I thought was kind of ominous and interesting, and Kate Capshaw was hot. I won't be going to Indy5.

It's just not a pretty weekend here with the nearby wildfires and cold winds, so I'm trying not to do too many outdoor activities. Therefore, I took my 16 year old son to two movies this weekend.

On Saturday afternoon we went to see Son of Rambow. The story continuity was choppy, but there were plenty of moments that made me laugh out loud, even snort, and completely embarrass my son.

Since my son REALLY wanted to see Indiana Jones instead of Son of Rambow, I took him to see Indiana Jones on Sunday afternoon. The movie was good, if a bit cartoonish, (thanks for that description, Jason Evans!) and I spent the entire movie wondering whether Disney would rework its Indiana Jones ride. Maybe they could include a water feature?

So now I want to know? Has Disney updated their Indiana Jones ride to go along with this most recent Indiana Jones movie?

Saw it today, better than I was expecting. Some likened it to NT2, which I haven't seen. There was one issue that knawed at me the whole time...

My lovely wife and I saw it today. Exactly what I expected. A lot of fun, no thought needed, a good but not great summer flick.