Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bands you don't know but should...

I'm starting this thread because I want some new (or old but new to me) music. I love just about everything and think it would be cool to hear what you recommend. Maybe you'll find a new artist or remember an old favorite. So, tell us about one or more of your favorite bands and why. I'll start (Band names direct to their site, song names direct to iTunes).

Chamberlain - One of my favorite vocalists, and one of the most pure song writers I've heard in a long time. Their songs have the power to tear you apart and put you back together again. Originally an emo/hardcore band "Split Lip", they changed their name and sound and played some of the best roots Rock n' Roll around. Fans of folk, blues, country with an alternative twist must pick up The Moon My Saddle. Check out:

Jeremy Enigk - You get three for one here. Better known as singer/songwriter for Sunny Day Real Estate, then the Fire Theft (all of which come highly recommended), Jeremy Enigk only does the solo stuff now. Sunny Day Real Estate was one of the leading forces of emo back in the early 90's. Their drummer, William Goldsmith, is an absolutely insane drummer; couple that with Nate Mendel (bassist) and you have one of the tightest rhythm sections in the known universe. William and Nate went on to form the Foo Fighters but don't expect that sound if you check out any of Jeremy Enigk's bands. Haunting vocals, flawlessly merged energy and melody, Sunny Day Real Estate ranks among the top five live shows I've ever seen. Check out:

The Potatomen - You can sum this up in four words: Buddy Holly meets Morrissey. Lawrence Livermore founded Lookout! Records (Green Day, Crimpshrine, Operation Ivy, etc.). He was also in a band with Tre Cool (called the Lookouts) who then went on to become Green Day's drummer. I'm not sure what you would expect from the founder of one the west coast's premier punk labels but you can throw it right out the window. The Potatomen play pop, not punk, and they play it very well. Rhythm and vocals are front stage. A.J. Stichal is one of my favorite bass players. I wish these guys were still around. Check out:

Okay, I'm done slacking off now but this was a lot of fun to write. Guess I'll go write that report now.

booty band

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    Indeed!

Pandora

To continue on this thread and Band you know but might..., check out Pandora.com. It allows you to build play lists of similar artists. Type in an artist or song, and Pandora does some "magic" and pulls up similar music. The cool thing is that it IS NOT looking for genre or metadata tags, it's actually analyzing the song and matching songs that "match". Sometimes it'll come up with a real humdinger but you reject the song. Now it gets even cooler, Pandora learns from rejections and approvals. Very cool stuff.

As soon as the iPhone can play Pandora, I'm all over it like white on rice in glass of milk on a paper plate in a snow storm.
    Last edited by 2535Miles; 05-16-2008 at 04:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 2535Miles View Post
    To continue on this thread and Band you know but might..., check out Pandora.pottymouth!It allows you to build play lists of similar artists. Type in an artist or song, and Pandora does some "magic" and pulls up similar music. The cool thing is that it IS NOT looking for genre or metadata tags, it's actually analyzing the song and matching songs that "match". Sometimes it'll come up with a real humdinger but you reject the song. Now it gets even cooler, Pandora learns from rejections and approvals. Very cool stuff.

As soon as the iPhone can play Pandora, I'm all over it like white on rice in glass of milk on a paper plate in a snow storm.
    That's cool.
    ~rthomas

new bands

got to check out Grace Potter and the Nocturnals... best band live that I have seen lately. I have seen them 8 times and can not wait to see them again.

Reckless kelly is another good one.

Not really knew but Assembly of Dust is really good band live.

Sam Roberts band is a good one as well.

Matthew Ryan: New album "Matthew Ryan vs. The Silver State" (terrible title; a reference to his backing band) evokes Leonard Cohen and darker Springsteen with a little twang.

matthew ryan

Matthew Ryan is quite good live. I saw him back up Lucinda Williams five or six years ago. He played by himself.

Quote Originally Posted by rockymtn devil View Post
    Matthew Ryan: New album "Matthew Ryan vs. The Silver State" (terrible title; a reference to his backing band) evokes Leonard Cohen and darker Springsteen with a little twang.
    taking a listen now - i like!

I love these guys. They're called 3politan. The lead singer is one of my best friend's (godfather to my second son) younger brother (he's the oldest of seven). He had a band at JHU called Something's Coming that played at Duke by Junior year as his bro (my friend from club football) was in grad school at Duke. I bought his CD then and now, and put it on my iPod:

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...endid=55554618

Thanks for everyone's responses. There's some really cool stuff out there.

Quote Originally Posted by rockymtn devil View Post
    My ex is gonna freak on Matthew Ryan. She's a huge Lucinda Williams fan (thanks for the heads rockymtn and fadero).

Quote Originally Posted by fadero View Post
    got to check out Grace Potter and the Nocturnals... best band live that I have seen lately. I have seen them 8 times and can not wait to see them again.
    Reckless kelly is another good one.
    Not really knew but Assembly of Dust is really good band live.
    Sam Roberts band is a good one as well.
    Grace Potter has that cool whispery voice. When I was listening to it I imagined myself sitting in the bayou, drinking cold beers and eating mudbugs. Instead, I'm sweating me arse off in Tucson at a User's Group meeting.

Quote Originally Posted by bjornolf View Post
    I love these guys. They're called 3politan. The lead singer is one of my best friend's (godfather to my second son) younger brother (he's the oldest of seven). He had a band at JHU called Something's Coming that played at Duke by Junior year as his bro (my friend from club football) was in grad school at Duke. I bought his CD then and now, and put it on my iPod:
    http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...endid=55554618
    When I first heard this, my Pandora 'Grace Potter' channel was playing in the background unbeknownst to me. I thought to myself, jeez this is utterly terrible stuff, it's not even music. I'm glad I figured it out, cuz it's good stuff.

bands

Grace Potter probably will not be playing bars too much longer. If you ever get a chnace to see her in a small place, make sure you go. It's like you took Grace Slick and Janis and combined them. Check her out on you tube. Her cover songs are amazing. Cortez the Killer, sweet emotion, big jetairliner, gettin in tune, come together, no expectations...even does some Zeppelin. Watch her on you tube...especially when she is on the leno show.

Her latest two albums are definitely worth getting.

I'll throw in Pinback, Black Heart Procession, Autolux, anything by Ken Andrews (Failure, On, Solo) Robert Roth (Truly, Solo) and Grant Lee Phillips (Grant Lee Buffalo, Solo).

EDIT: I forgot Jeremy Enigk had a new solo record, the Fire Theft was the last thing I remember he did. I have his first solo record, Return of the Frog Queen and he looks a lot like Michale Stipe, back when Michael had long hair.

Quote Originally Posted by RelativeWays View Post
    EDIT: I forgot Jeremy Enigk had a new solo record, the Fire Theft was the last thing I remember he did.
    There's actually two, sorta. World Waits came out in 2006 and it's all originals, then The Missing Link came out in 2007 with some remixes. And he's finally playing in California! I saw him at the Casbah in San Diego, unreal.

Quote Originally Posted by dbb03 View Post
    taking a listen now - i like!
    "Dolce et decorum est" is definitely my favorite song of the year so far, and is the perfect way to start that album.

I really like Yael Naim. Everyone probably already knows about her, but I've just started listening to her.

They are not by any means "unknown," but in the mainstream they don't get much ink and I think are largely unappreciated: MEGADETH. Good stuff, not just mindless thrash. Have started listening to them late, and have found a lot if it very enjoyable.

A band you don't know but should...

Breaking Laces is a three-piece alternate acoustic rock band in Brooklyn, NY. You should know them because they are very good and the lead singer and guitarist, Billy Hartong, is married to my daughter-in-law's sister. Here is their website: www.breakinglaces.com

Enjoy,
    4DukeinMinnesota

Quote Originally Posted by Shammrog View Post
    They are not by any means "unknown," but in the mainstream they don't get much ink and I think are largely unappreciated: MEGADETH. Good stuff, not just mindless thrash. Have started listening to them late, and have found a lot if it very enjoyable.
    Agreed. I'm still a big fan of Slayer too. You should check out Apocalyptica; cello quartet that does metal. Their version of "One" is outstanding.

I'll revive this thread to note a band whose debut LP I've been listening to on repeat for two days now. Fleet Foxes is the band (and the title of the album). I've heard comparisons that liken them to Band of Horses or early My Morning Jacket, but that's not at all true. They harmonize better and rock out considerably less than either of those band, and the music is more akin to CSN, The Beach Boys, and the jingle-jangle of early Byrds (when Crosby was still with the band). In more modern terms, it's like a more fleshed out, hi-fi version of early Iron & Wine records. If folk music isn't your thing, skip this band. But, if have any inclination towards traditional American music (or you read No Depression habitually) you have to check out this album. It will undoubtedly make countless "best of the year" lists next December.