View Poll Results: What cause of crash do you fear the most when flying?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • Engine falling off

3 13.04%
  • Hyrdaulic Lines Severed, loss of control

1 4.35%
  • Flaps not extended on takeoff

1 4.35%
  • Windsheer / Weather

15 65.22%
  • Mid-Air Collison

0 0%
  • Fire on plane

3 13.04%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Airplane Crash Fears

What "cause of crash" do you fear the most when flying?

In-flight alien abduction of the flight crew.

Whatever causes the longest for the plane to crash. This may sound morbid, if I'm going to die in a plane crash, I want it to be quick and instantaneous.

(Earljam at the controls.)

Quote Originally Posted by Shammrog View Post
    (Earljam at the controls.)
    Good one.

Quote Originally Posted by merry View Post
    In-flight alien abduction of the flight crew.
    Well now you're just being silly!

-EJ

Quote Originally Posted by TillyGalore View Post
    Whatever causes the longest for the plane to crash. This may sound morbid, if I'm going to die in a plane crash, I want it to be quick and instantaneous.
    Then you should probably vote for mid-air collision or slamming into a mountainside.

-EJ

Quote Originally Posted by EarlJam View Post
    Then you should probably vote for mid-air collision or slamming into a mountainside.

-EJ
    Slamming into a mountainside isn't an option.

Though will think about the mid-air collision. The last time I temporarily abstained from voting in a poll, thenwhen I did I was fussed at.

Thumbs up Thanks EJam!

Now I have to get out Airplane!

Is Otto at the controls? Or is it Kareem?

Cheers,
    Lavabe

Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post
    Now I have to get out Airplane!

Is Otto at the controls? Or is it Kareem?

Cheers,
    Lavabe
    It's Otto. After the "service" he recieved in the movie, he vowed NEVER to retire!

-EJ

Since suicidal pilot wasn't an option, I went with windsheer/weather although I don't usually worry about crashes.

I have already gotten stuck in the mud on a 747 that missed a taxiway, was on a plane that was told to land (and pay landing fees) or they would make us land, and had an aborted landing due to another plane on the runway. Have had family members on planes with an engine that went out or had a fire. We all survived, so I figure there is no need to worry.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    ... had an aborted landing due to another plane on the runway...
    I've had this happen (aborted landing, for whatever reason) a number of times. It's a little unnerving when it happens after the landing gear are down but there's fog/clouds so thick you can't see anything at all.

One time landing in Memphis on a perfectly calm and clear day, I was in a plane that just before landing went suddenly back up and banked around. The lady next to me started freaking out and saying "what's going to happen! what's going to happen!". I told her if something was going to happen it would have already happened. About that time the pilot came on sounding really irritated and said "Sorry for the brief delay, we will be landing in one minute."

Since suicidal pilot wasn't an option, I went with windsheer/weather although I don't usually worry about crashes.

I have already gotten stuck in the mud on a 747 that missed a taxiway, was on a plane that was told to land (and pay landing fees) or they would make us land, and had an aborted landing due to another plane on the runway. Have had family members on planes with an engine that went out or had a fire. We all survived, so I figure there is no need to worry.
    Step one: find wood.

Step two: knock on it.

Remind me never to fly with you, DukieInKansas. You are obviously bad luck, as is your family.

I chose "fire in the plane", as this would be the most prolonged event, plus, probably the most painful. With wind shear, if it is near the ground on final, bump, boom, your dead. Or, your on some deserted island with Kate, Jack, Sawyer and Hurley et. al.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

The good news is that none of these events have been recent. You just never forget them.

I worry whenever I'm on a 737 the rudder hasn't been completely fixed. (Google "USAir flight 427".)

In some 700,000 miles of flying over the last 10 years the weirdest incident I've experienced was a landing at DCA that was aborted twice before we finally touched the ground. We were doing the "river visual" approach, so at least I got the view of the monuments and stuff three times.

Quote Originally Posted by hurleyfor3 View Post
    I worry whenever I'm on a 737 the rudder hasn't been completely fixed. (Google "USAir flight 427".)

In some 700,000 miles of flying over the last 10 years the weirdest incident I've experienced was a landing at DCA that was aborted twice before we finally touched the ground. We were doing the "river visual" approach, so at least I got the view of the monuments and stuff three times.
    Yes. Several incidents. The two with 737s I believe were in Colorado Springs (United?) and then in Pittsburgh (USAir 427).

Also, in the 90s, an Alaskan Airlines DC-9's rudder got stuck in mid flight. The plane became inverted, went into a flat spin and crashed in the Pacific.

The black box recording of the Colorado Springs incident is just horrifying.

-EJ

Duhhhhh..... any of the above.

In my previous job I travelled constantly and logged big time air miles.

Had a horrific landing in Hartford in a terrible summer storm. Took 5 (count 'em five) tries to land...worst abort we were almost over the runway and I guess it was a microburst because the left wing was pushed downward...the entire plane almost went perpendicular (not an expert but physics 101 tells me this is bad bad bad)...pilot went to full throttle, and that plane screamed and shook like it was going to fall apart, all the over heads opened up, the wing I could see was snapping around like it was paper. I was sure I was dead. Two more tries and he finally got in down. Getting off the plane the pilot was not doing the usual 'hi thanks for flying'...he was leaning on the cockpit door his shirt was soaked with sweat and he was green. I was the last person of the plane so I asked him if it was as 'close as I thought' he held up his index finger and them without about a micron of space between them and didn't say a word. I told him 'nice flying' and got off the plane.

Ironically after that flight regular turbulence never bothered me.

I've had so may aborted landings I can't count them, two aborted take offs (after the wheels were up), one slide off the end of the runway in the snow and ice, struck by ligthening in midair (now that's freaky!), engine failure, gear stuck, power failures, Oxygen masks dropping ..near miss midair over Dallas...all kinds of fun.

And yet...I love to fly...I'm warped.
    Windsor (aka Loni)

a wasted youth is better by far than a wise and productive old age

Quote Originally Posted by Windsor View Post
    In my previous job I travelled constantly and logged big time air miles.

Had a horrific landing in Hartford in a terrible summer storm. Took 5 (count 'em five) tries to land...worst abort we were almost over the runway and I guess it was a microburst because the left wing was pushed downward...the entire plane almost went perpendicular (not an expert but physics 101 tells me this is bad bad bad)...pilot went to full throttle, and that plane screamed and shook like it was going to fall apart, all the over heads opened up, the wing I could see was snapping around like it was paper. I was sure I was dead. Two more tries and he finally got in down. Getting off the plane the pilot was not doing the usual 'hi thanks for flying'...he was leaning on the cockpit door his shirt was soaked with sweat and he was green. I was the last person of the plane so I asked him if it was as 'close as I thought' he held up his index finger and them without about a micron of space between them and didn't say a word. I told him 'nice flying' and got off the plane.
    In short, HOLY SHNIT! Great story though.