The Redick "story" on the front page

Why did that get linked? There was no new news; it was quotes from months ago. AFAIK JJ has not made any requests or comments regarding the situation recently; why did this get picked up again?

It was on PTI last night.

and in the orlando sentinel the day before. meeting with GM otis smith next week.

What was on PTI?

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ash View Post
    Why did that get linked? There was no new news; it was quotes from months ago. AFAIK JJ has not made any requests or comments regarding the situation recently; why did this get picked up again?
    There is an article in today's N&O where JJ is still asking to be traded if they won't play him. I could not find it in the on-line version so i can't link to it.

What was on PTI?
    They did a segment in the second block of Headlines on the quotes from this article. The general consensus of Tony and Mike was that they had no real problem with JJ saying that and that he's in a bad spot since Van Gundy "hates him" (Kornheiser's words). They also both agreed that he can be a productive NBA player in the right situation. Orlando is just not that place.

JJ's got a meeting with Otis Smith this week as someone mentioned, but they don't seem too set on trading him. Smith said,
    that Redick "could easily go from the third guy to the first guy because other guys opt out as free agents. I do think he's a pretty good guard. He's a backup 2 [shooting guard]."
    Sounds like they're holding on to him as insurance. It's a bad situation for JJ and personally I don't understand why a team would devote the pick and the money to someone who they only consider a backup. It sounds as though the brass in Orlando has already come to their opinion about JJ and he doesn't have much of a shot to impress regardless of whatever improvements he makes to his own game. He seems to be fully aware of this and I hope for his sake that he can get out soon.

What was on PTI?
    They were discussing JJ's "Play Me or Trade Me" statements. One comment there was that "Van Gundy hates him."

I guess my question is... why now? The last time JJ made those sorts of comments was a while ago, and the comments from the Magic management were from some time ago too. Why did this story suddenly resurface? Is the media just looking for something to talk about? Or is there something new?

I guess my question is... why now? The last time JJ made those sorts of comments was a while ago, and the comments from the Magic management were from some time ago too. Why did this story suddenly resurface? Is the media just looking for something to talk about? Or is there something new?
    He reiterated his demand. The comments were from after the Pistons eliminated them.

Ah okay, those all looked like his old comments to me.

Why does VanGundy "hate" JJ?

^Yea, I was unaware of this sentiment, and frankly surprised given that SVG had said that JJ still brings it everyday in practice, and I know SVG had praised his work ethic in that regard. My only guess would be b/c of JJ asking to leave, which can be construed as "complaining" even though it really isn't. And even if thats the case, "hate" is a strong word just cause a player wants to get some PT.

Redick

It was on PTI after this article from the May 15 Orlando Sentinel by Brian Schimdt came out, they quoted the article, "I'm certainly not going to sit there and hear the same stuff and think I'm going to get the same results. I'm going to put some of this on myself to get better, but there's got to be an opportunity for me to get on the court."

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sport...,3568900.story