Thread: The Big 4-0

The Big 4-0

ok, so next week I turn 40 and I couldn't be more excited.
    Think I am nuts? That's ok, I got my reasons to be nuts. I am totally psyched!

So here is the question of the day (to those who have seen 40 anyway).
    How did you feel, what did you do when you turned the big 4-0?? Did you celebrate or treat it like a furneral or something?

To those who haven't quite made it to 40, I pose the same questions to you, what are you going to do and are you looking forward to it or dreading it?

I came up with this cool idea to help me celebrate my turning 40. From June 1st to July 10th, I am taking 40 days, each day to do something fun, out of the ordinary, silly, new or otherwise entertaining and fun! And it's been a blast so far!

Turning 40

Quote Originally Posted by knights68 View Post
    How did you feel, what did you do when you turned the big 4-0?? Did you celebrate or treat it like a furneral or something?

I came up with this cool idea to help me celebrate my turning 40. From June 1st to July 10th, I am taking 40 days, each day to do something fun, out of the ordinary, silly, new or otherwise entertaining and fun! And it's been a blast so far!
    First Happy Birthday! I think your celebration plan is great! Go for it!

Turning 40? That's so long ago, I can barely remember it. Well, not true. I asked my wife to throw me a surprise birthday party, and she did! Now wait a minute, you ask, if I asked for a surprise party, how in the world could I be surprised by the party? Well, she faked me out! We had a very small celebration on my birthday during the week - dinner at a friends house with just a few people during the week on my birthday, and I thought that was the party. Then on Saturday, my daughter was helping to set up some girl scout thing at the Moose Lodge all afternoon and we stopped there to pick her up to go out to dinner in Raleigh about 5 p m. When I went in to get her, about 50 people yelled "SURPRISE!" and it was a bunch of my friends, including a couple of fraternity brothers from Duke whom I hadn't seen in several years! I was floored! I had absolutely no clue this was going to happen! A great time was had by all.

Physically, I still felt (and acted) like I was 25. Several years ago, when I again had a birthday ending in a "0", I decided it was time to turn 30, so that's what I did. Today, I feel like I'm 32, as I said in Devildeac's birthday thread.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Here a secret: Advil.
    ~rthomas

Well, seeing as it is 27 years away for me, I haven't given it a great deal of thought. I guess I don't "hope i die before i get old." Even so it's hard to imagine a middle-aged version of myself. My birthday is during march madness, so hopefully I will be celebrating a Final Four for Duke.

Question 91.92.01duke

Quote Originally Posted by 91.92.01DUKE View Post
    Well, seeing as it is 27 years away for me
    You're 13? From your screen name I would have thought you graduated, well, back in 91. Guess that is a parent or two and not you! And he or she should be pushing 40 this year.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

I was erm, trying to cause that perception. I know don't pose as someone else on the internet. However, I decided to ignore that principle, I wanted to be taken seriously.

alteran is offline All-American, Honorable Mention
    ok, so next week I turn 40 and I couldn't be more excited.
    Think I am nuts? That's ok, I got my reasons to be nuts. I am totally psyched!

To those who haven't quite made it to 40, I pose the same questions to you, what are you going to do and are you looking forward to it or dreading it?

Awesome idea. I think reveling in it is the way to go. (But then, I always do.)

I sure didn't feel any different after turning 40, but since the same thing happened after my 30th, I wasn't surprised. As my mom always says, getting old stinks but it beats the heck out of the alternative.

I told my coworkers if I didn't have black ribbons and tombstones in my office for my fortieth birthday I was going to make sure they did.

Your idea is WAAAY better-- maybe I'll try that for my fiftieth.

Considering I actually am 24 years away (though I'll be 17 next Saturday), I just got over the drivers hump but have thought more about 18 and 21, especially the latter. So I am not to concerned about 40, but someday I'm sure I will be.

For one of those days you should adopt the Homer Simpson look from your avatar. That is, if you don't have that look already.

Happy merry.

The feeling of milestones like turning forty, fifty...or others, don't really mean much on the day. I felt the age on the next day, in a moment alone, it hit that maybe life was changing. Nahhhhhhhh. I'm still a kid at heart.

You get over it very quickly.

Thanks for the b'day wish Ozzie.
    And for your thoughts too, being that 40 years old has been in your rear view mirror for a spell.
    Happy 33rd and many more!)

91.92.04Duke, you so crazy! I like that!

Alteran, I agree, getting old may suck but it sure is better than the alternative. ha ha.
    For your 50th, take 50 days and nights and have fun! What a great way to turn half a century! ;o)

Ben63, you are still a youngin, but I remember when I was around your age I thought and eagerly anticipated the next milestones (18, 21, 25, etc). Have fun with it whatever you decide to do, it wont last long!

Bhd21: I did make the Homer Simpson thing my avatar just recently, one of those "what the heck" type dealios. As for adopting the persona myself... well I dunno about that.

CapnMojo, Thanks too.
    I know I'll get over it quickly, thats part of the point of my 40 days of celebration, because I know it wont last long. I had actually been considering extending my 40 days to the whole year.

Thanks everybody!

Thanks for the b'day wish Ozzie.
    And for your thoughts too, being that 40 years old has been in your rear view mirror for a spell.
    Happy 33rd and many more!)

91.92.04Duke, you so crazy! I like that!

Alteran, I agree, getting old may suck but it sure is better than the alternative. ha ha.
    For your 50th, take 50 days and nights and have fun! What a great way to turn half a century! ;o)

Ben63, you are still a youngin, but I remember when I was around your age I thought and eagerly anticipated the next milestones (18, 21, 25, etc). Have fun with it whatever you decide to do, it wont last long!

Bhd21: I did make the Homer Simpson thing my avatar just recently, one of those "what the heck" type dealios. As for adopting the persona myself... well I dunno about that.

CapnMojo, Thanks too.
    I know I'll get over it quickly, thats part of the point of my 40 days of celebration, because I know it wont last long. I had actually been considering extending my 40 days to the whole year.

Thanks everybody!
    You didn't thank me personally, but I'm serious about the advil. You will thank me...someday.
    ~rthomas

Quote Originally Posted by rthomas View Post
    You didn't thank me personally, but I'm serious about the advil. You will thank me...someday.
    Yeah, you are right, sorry about my oversight.
    The advil, along with a few other beauts (BC among others) do help in times of need. The "old age" hasn't really creaked up, er um I mean crept up on my as of yet... but time shall tell! lol

Happy 40th Birthday Knights68!!!!!!

Sorry it's not in color, my color buttons don't work.