Thread: China Disaster

China Disaster

Hello y'all,

I've been a lurker here for years but never felt compelled to register or post until now. In that time I've observed a profound sense of both passion and compassion for not only Duke Basketball but also people within the DBR community that I've come to respect and admire.

The reason that I'm posting is to respectfully request that DBR members consider donating to the disaster relief effort in Sichuan China. I'm of Chinese descent but had never traveled to China until visiting the Sichuan province among other areas over Christmas break. During that time I was overwhelmed by the ability of these people to be happy with seemingly so little, their profound love of family, respect of elders, and willingness to help a complete stranger without regard for individual benefit.

There is unfathomable suffering there now with destruction of so many families...

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/15/wo...agewanted=1&hp

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/17/wo...7china.html?hp

I understand that we all have busy schedules and financial demands especially now with the economic slowdown. I have to admit that I've probably spent far more time trying planning my next vacation or figuring out how to attend my kids' ballet recitals than thinking about how to help relieve suffering in a distant corner of the world. Still, every little bit helps.

We gave through the Red Cross but you can Google many other ways of contributing to the relief effort.

Thank you for your consideration,

Frank

Thumbs up Updated link

Quote Originally Posted by Tonger View Post
    Hello y'all,

I've been a lurker here for years but never felt compelled to register or post until now. In that time I've observed a profound sense of both passion and compassion for not only Duke Basketball but also people within the DBR community that I've come to respect and admire.

The reason that I'm posting is to respectfully request that DBR members consider donating to the disaster relief effort in Sichuan China. I'm of Chinese descent but had never traveled to China until visiting the Sichuan province among other areas over Christmas break. During that time I was overwhelmed by the ability of these people to be happy with seemingly so little, their profound love of family, respect of elders, and willingness to help a complete stranger without regard for individual benefit.

There is unfathomable suffering there now with destruction of so many families...

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/15/wo...agewanted=1&hp

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/17/wo...7china.html?hp

I understand that we all have busy schedules and financial demands especially now with the economic slowdown. I have to admit that I've probably spent far more time trying planning my next vacation or figuring out how to attend my kids' ballet recitals than thinking about how to help relieve suffering in a distant corner of the world. Still, every little bit helps.

We gave through the Red Cross but you can Google many other ways of contributing to the relief effort.

Thank you for your consideration,

Frank
    Please check the Public Policy Board for the thread devoted to the quake. Wisteria's been posting about it quite a bit. the thread may have been bumped to the second page, but we can correct that easily.

In the other thread, I posted earlier that the on-line donation feature of the Red Cross had yet to allow donors to target their funds to the Chinese earthquake. This has been updated. You can now target your donations. Here's the link.

Cheers,
    Lavabe