Following Coach Dawkins' footstep ...

I have decided to relocate to SF to look for a job . I would like to try my luck in financial industry, as I would like to understand the econ / finance part of our world. I would then like to integrate the knowledge that I would gain from this area with the rest of my knowledge, and share it with the public, particularly with the youth.

If there is any help or advice that you could offer, I would really appreciate it. Brief background: I have two Master degree in Physics (one with research concentration in Medical Physics), published a paper in a top journal, presented at top international conferences, won a research award, and have a year of experience as a business analyst.

If you have or know of a room for rent in Bay Area, or just wanna hang out, please let me know as well (I used to post more frequently, now I mainly lurk)

Joking aside, I do plan to offer my help to Coach JD. I actually emailed Coach K once to offer introducing meditation to our players, and was directed to Coach JD while I was at Duke. We talked on the phone briefly. Too bad that we did not manage to set up a time to meet before I left Durham. Will keep you guys updated if I actually managed to contact him ...

Best of luck with your move. I would strongly recommend getting in touch with Coach Dawkins again. If someone in the Bay Area is going to introduce Stanford players to meditation, I'd rather it be someone who has their best interests at heart and is not planning on brainwashing them into a cult.

I am assuming, of course, that you do not plan on brainwashing them into a cult.

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    Best of luck with your move. I would strongly recommend getting in touch with Coach Dawkins again. If someone in the Bay Area is going to introduce Stanford players to meditation, I'd rather it be someone who has their best interests at heart and is not planning on brainwashing them into a cult.

I am assuming, of course, that you do not plan on brainwashing them into a cult.
    Thanks Brevity. I indeed plan to contact coach Dawkins once I get to SF or even before. I don't want to miss another opportunity of meeting with him. Also I would really like to help out in any way I can. I think I can do a better job now, as I helped train a college women b-ball team in HI on their mental preparedness.

I actually plan on brainwashing them, "We can beat anybody, especially North Carolina, except Duke" Count on it ...

BTW, I went to your blog briefly, and it seems cool ...

Awesome! I made the move last year as well, and love it out here (albeit I''m about an hour east of SF). Craigslist is your best friend for housing. I'm guessing you already know this, but expect to pay 2-3 times whatever you were paying before for rent.

Quote Originally Posted by hc5duke View Post
    Awesome! I made the move last year as well, and love it out here (albeit I''m about an hour east of SF). Craigslist is your best friend for housing. I'm guessing you already know this, but expect to pay 2-3 times whatever you were paying before for rent.
    Hey hc5duke:

Thanks for the reply and encouraging note! Cool, we could try to meet up if you are interested. I am planning to fly to SF on 5/25 or earlier. I will be staying in the city for the initial weeks -- with access to my friend's BMW and bike

Being able to watch b-ball with some Duke fans is part of what I am looking forward to. Here in HI, it is another UNC country, believe it or not ... Tho I had some nice surprise from time to time, like bumping into a lady who is a Duke fan while eating breakfast at an old bakery ...

I already checked on CL. Thanks for the note tho. No, I won't be paying 2-3 times my current rent as I am living in Honolulu

Quote Originally Posted by chi View Post
    Hey hc5duke:

Thanks for the reply and encouraging note! Cool, we could try to meet up if you are interested. I am planning to fly to SF on 5/25 or earlier. I will be staying in the city for the initial weeks -- with access to my friend's BMW and bike

Being able to watch b-ball with some Duke fans is part of what I am looking forward to. Here in HI, it is another UNC country, believe it or not ... Tho I had some nice surprise from time to time, like bumping into a lady who is a Duke fan while eating breakfast at an old bakery ...

I already checked on CL. Thanks for the note tho. No, I won't be paying 2-3 times my current rent as I am living in Honolulu
    That is some funny stuff - I'll be actually going to Hawaii (Kona/Waikoloa to be specific) on 5/24 for a week. I've seen the local apartment listings on the islands, I know what you mean. Hopefully we can meet up to watch a game or something. There's usually alumni stuff going on (not sure if you're an alum, but it's pretty unofficial anyway) during the basketball season too - here's the link.

Quote Originally Posted by hc5duke View Post
    That is some funny stuff - I'll be actually going to Hawaii (Kona/Waikoloa to be specific) on 5/24 for a week. I've seen the local apartment listings on the islands, I know what you mean. Hopefully we can meet up to watch a game or something. There's usually alumni stuff going on (not sure if you're an alum, but it's pretty unofficial anyway) during the basketball season too - here's the link.
    I will most probably on Oahu on 5/24. If I happen to be on Big Island, will let you know. Yeah, it would be good if we can meet up. Thanks for the Alumni link, I am an alumni. When I was a kid, I thought that alumni is similar to Aluminium

I've lived in San Jose for the past 10 years and can tell you about places to live in the south bay area and Palo Alto.

I can tell you about fun things to do in and around SF.

Quote Originally Posted by CathyCA View Post
    I've lived in San Jose for the past 10 years and can tell you about places to live in the south bay area and Palo Alto.

I can tell you about fun things to do in and around SF.
    Thanks Cathy. I will take up your offer after I moved to SF. I will be arriving on 5/24.