Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Won't it be annoying

next year watching every game have 2 3-pt lines a foot apart?

What about an arena that has 3 lines at 19'9", 20'9", and 23'9"?

Quote Originally Posted by geraldsneighbor View Post
    I was looking forward to seeing Taylor King launch from behind the new line. I mean, he already took most of his shots from behind where the new line would be. If only he had hit more of them in the 2nd half of the season...

Um, unless I am mistaken, won't every college court just remove the old 3-point line and replace it with the new one?

Not sure I follow you here.

Quote Originally Posted by Oriole Way View Post
    Um, unless I am mistaken, won't every college court just remove the old 3-point line and replace it with the new one?

Not sure I follow you here.
    Nope. Women's line remains.

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    Nope. Women's line remains.

-jk
    Ah, yes in that case that will suck.

Duke's practice courts in the new Coach K Center already have the new three point lines added. They are blue as opposed to the traditional white that the women will still have. This will probably be the case in Cameron as well. Doesn't look that annoying. We'll get used to it.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Is the new line a permanent change by the NCAA or a temporary trial? I know a change in the line has been discussed for some time, but I am not clear if this is the official distance from now on...

current line is 19-9 the new one is permanent at 20-9. I forget they do have a blue line in the practice gym. I wonder if the Verizon Center or places like that will just get rid of the current line. Wow I have no life.

I forget they do have a blue line in the practice gym.
    Interesting... I just assumed the multiple 3-point lines would be white... like it used to be. But, a different color would be interesting, and maybe even "nice". I don't suppose each school could pick their own color And, what about a 1-foot thick line... women up to the edge of the line on the inside, men up to the edge of the line on the outside... yeah, probably very ugly

Quote Originally Posted by gep View Post
    And, what about a 1-foot thick line... women up to the edge of the line on the inside, men up to the edge of the line on the outside... yeah, probably very ugly
    why don't you think about that for a minute and then get back to us.

Quote Originally Posted by gep View Post
    Interesting... I just assumed the multiple 3-point lines would be white... like it used to be. But, a different color would be interesting, and maybe even "nice". I don't suppose each school could pick their own color
    Don't schools pick their own colors now for the 3-point line? Most go with white, but I am fairly certain there are college teams that do not (perhaps I'm thinking of college teams at certain NBA arenas)...

Here is one I found for Vanderbilt.

Laser light?

They should use laser light technology to create the three point line. Beam it down to the floor from the ceiling. Seriously. That way, you could adjust/change the distance day-to-day and only have one line on the court.

Another bonus is that it would make close calls easier. Since the light is coming from above, if the line is "on" the shoe of the shooter, then you'd know it was not a three pointer. Instead of his foot on the line, it would be the line on his foot (seems an easier call).

Thoughts?

-EarlJam

P.S. And I'm not talking about those laser lights where you'd see the beam from source to target. No. I'm talking about the ones where the only place you see the laser light is against the object it is projected - like a laser pointer.

I really think this could work.

Quote Originally Posted by EarlJam View Post
    They should use laser light technology to create the three point line. Beam it down to the floor from the ceiling. Seriously. That way, you could adjust/change the distance day-to-day and only have one line on the court.

Another bonus is that it would make close calls easier. Since the light is coming from above, if the line is "on" the shoe of the shooter, then you'd know it was not a three pointer. Instead of his foot on the line, it would be the line on his foot (seems an easier call).

Thoughts?

-EarlJam

P.S. And I'm not talking about those laser lights where you'd see the beam from source to target. No. I'm talking about the ones where the only place you see the laser light is against the object it is projected - like a laser pointer.

except that you wouldn't be able to see the line if a bunch of people standing over it. and you have to worry about eye damage if you look up

Quote Originally Posted by EarlJam View Post

Thoughts?

-EarlJam

...but instead of a laser pointer projecting a single point of light, it would be the equivalent of thousands of laser pointers (to generate an entire unbroken line over sixty feet long and 1.5 inches thick). On each side of the court.

Other than the aforementioned health risks to the athletes' eyes, and the problems associated with breaking the line of the laser with the body, what about the logistical problems with this?

What kind of monstrous apparatus would be required to pull this off? We already complained about luxury boxes in Cameron...what kind of reaction would we get from these massive laser generators? And how much power would this draw? Would the TV audience actually be able to see the glowing line over the glare of the overhead lights? Moreover, would the refs?

Is Cameron equipped to support the new electrical load? What about the rest of the ACC...are they going to be able install the laser-line technology to ensure uniformity? What about the rest of Division I?

How much would this alien technology cost? Who's going to pay for these machines? The individual schools? The NCAA? Nan?

And what happens when one breaks? Will we have to have a backup machine in place on each side of the court? What about having a team of electricians on call? How much will that cost?

Quote Originally Posted by El_Diablo View Post
    ...but instead of a laser pointer projecting a single point of light, it would be the equivalent of thousands of laser pointers (to generate an entire unbroken line over sixty feet long and 1.5 inches thick). On each side of the court.

Other than the aforementioned health risks to the athletes' eyes, and the problems associated with breaking the line of the laser with the body, what about the logistical problems with this?

What kind of monstrous apparatus would be required to pull this off? We already complained about luxury boxes in Cameron...what kind of reaction would we get from these massive laser generators? And how much power would this draw? Would the TV audience actually be able to see the glowing line over the glare of the overhead lights? Moreover, would the refs?

Is Cameron equipped to support the new electrical load? What about the rest of the ACC...are they going to be able install the laser-line technology to ensure uniformity? What about the rest of Division I?

How much would this alien technology cost? Who's going to pay for these machines? The individual schools? The NCAA? Nan?

And what happens when one breaks? Will we have to have a backup machine in place on each side of the court? What about having a team of electricians on call? How much will that cost?
    And just think, they might not count every vote!

Lightbulb

Sorry, Earljam...I just wanted to help kill the idea before the Duke administration (which decided to give an iPod to every member of the class of 2008) got any bright ideas...

Sorry, Earljam...I just wanted to help kill the idea before the Duke administration (which decided to give an iPod to every member of the class of 2008) got any bright ideas...
    Hey! Those iPods were vital to our intellectual experience and technological development!

Totally understand. Totally understand. Just brainstorming new, innovative and creative ideas (I don't use the word "solutions" anymore - was in PR too long).

I DO wonder if something like this will come to pass in the next 3.3 - 7.2 years.

-EJ

Quote Originally Posted by Ignatius07 View Post
    Don't schools pick their own colors now for the 3-point line? Most go with white, but I am fairly certain there are college teams that do not (perhaps I'm thinking of college teams at certain NBA arenas)...

Here is one I found for Vanderbilt.
    UNC's is blue (at least it has been some seasons) I'm pretty sure.