Question for Criminal Lawyers

If I killed someone / took out vengence on, a very bad person who did a very, very, bad and immoral thing to another human being - to the point where I KNOW the jury would have some sympathy on me, how much jail time would I be looking at? Minimum and Maximum? Seriously.

Thanks,

-EarlJam

Quote Originally Posted by EarlJam View Post
    If I killed someone / took out vengence on, a very bad person who did a very, very, bad and immoral thing to another human being - to the point where I KNOW the jury would have some sympathy on me, how much jail time would I be looking at? Minimum and Maximum? Seriously.

Thanks,

-EarlJam
    So that WAS a poison dart! I wasn't hallucinating. What did I ever do to you? Why are you out to get me EJ?

???

Thanks,

-EarlJam
    Earl,

If I have ever done anything to offend you I take it back and offer my sincere aplogies.

well, from what I've learned from criminal justice 105...

it seems like you've obviously premeditated the murder, that your willful in carrying out the murder yourself, and there is deliberation...

So it would be murder in the 1st degree no question.

I would guess that you would be looking at life in prison. Possibly the death penalty, depending on how you carried out the murder.

Just read Crime and Punishment and save yourself the headache.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Just read Crime and Punishment and save yourself the headache.
    How is reading a 700-page book supposed to SAVE me a headache?

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverBlowingBubbles View Post
    well, from what I've learned from criminal justice 105...

it seems like you've obviously premeditated the murder, that your willful in carrying out the murder yourself, and there is deliberation...

So it would be murder in the 1st degree no question.

I would guess that you would be looking at life in prison. Possibly the death penalty, depending on how you carried out the murder.
    I think his best hope is for jury nullification.

EJ - who you have in mind?

Quote Originally Posted by Shammrog View Post
    I think his best hope is for jury nullification.

EJ - who you have in mind?
    Some dude stole my Saturday paper over the weekend.

-EJ

Some dude stole my Saturday paper over the weekend.

-EJ
    If it was the AJC, he did you a favor.

Quote Originally Posted by Shammrog View Post
    If it was the AJC, he did you a favor.
    Awesome. Good one!

Awesome. Good one!
    As my mom, in her Polish accent, calls it: "The Atlanta Urinal Constipation."

Paper rage aside, this is a question that has intrigued me too. (I am NOT going to kill anybody, every got that? It's just a thought experiment) Like, what if somebody killed that Austrian piece of crap who raped his daughter and imprisoned his illegitimate children/grandchildren in the basement? Of course by law, you would convict that person, but the moral repugnance of the Austrian's crime is such that honestly, if I were sitting on that jury, I would give his murderer as light a rap as possible. Heck, deep down in my heart, I would thank his murderer for ridding the world of him. You can't tell me that doesn't influence juries in cases like this.

Quote Originally Posted by blublood View Post
    Paper rage aside, this is a question that has intrigued me too. (I am NOT going to kill anybody, every got that? It's just a thought experiment) Like, what if somebody killed that Austrian piece of crap who raped his daughter and imprisoned his illegitimate children/grandchildren in the basement? Of course by law, you would convict that person, but the moral repugnance of the Austrian's crime is such that honestly, if I were sitting on that jury, I would give his murderer as light a rap as possible. Heck, deep down in my heart, I would thank his murderer for ridding the world of him. You can't tell me that doesn't influence juries in cases like this.
    Right on. That's what I'm thinking. On a lesser level, kind of like if a dude's hitting all over your wife, groping her and such and you punch his lights out.

I guess the judge has to convict, but I don't think anyone in the courtroom would think you did the wrong thing...at all.

There really is a real person I was thinking about when posting this. I'm not going to kill him though. Don't have it in me. But he deserves a good beat down.

-EJ

Exclamation Iirc...

... are you thinking of exacting retribution AGAIN on the person who took your parking spot when you had the Achiles issue?

FWIW, WHY are you getting that paper? Can't you get it all on-line?

Cheers,
    Lavabe

Quote Originally Posted by blublood View Post
    Typically, juries are not involved in the length of the sentence other than in states where they can return a verdict in a capital case for "life without the possibility of parole" or death. The choice you would probably have is whether to convict of a lesser-included offense (manslaughter, etc.) and not on the murder. But the judge usually handles the length of the sentence. Even in capital cases, the punishment phase is only held after the guilt phase.

Doesn't the answer to this question depend on whether or not Alan Shore is defending the case?

Or whether Pauly Shore has Jury Duty?