Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Luxury box suites in Cameron?

Maybe this has been floating around and I've just missed it:
    http://www.wral.com/sports/story/2869917/

Apparently the idea of building luxury box suites in Cameron is floating around. Any reaction?

Do not mess with the temple

It's bad enough that all of the cushy bleacher seats behind the duke bench has created a sizable deadzone where there used to only be 2-3 smaller rows of normal seats for visitors. I benefitted from the cushy seats once, but I felt dirty.

I know this idea has been talked about for at least five years and probably longer. The ideas have included raising the roof, or inserting boxes in the corners. The main problem would be where the team would play. At least now we have the new practice courts but game day would be the problem. You can not cram those people into Card or Mem Gym.

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    The main thing I got out of this article was...

This year, Duke will add a new scoreboard with video screens.

They floated an expansion idea in the early or mid '80's as well, including raising the roof. Thankfully, it got shot down.

As the folks at The Masters show every year, there's something to be said for limited supply and high demand.

Don't change Cameron!!!

Maybe they could just suspend the boxes over center court and equip them with glass floors so the swells can look down on the action.
    Sounds about as plausible as ripping the roof off Cameron.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    They floated an expansion idea in the early or mid '80's as well, including raising the roof. Thankfully, it got shot down.

As the folks at The Masters show every year, there's something to be said for limited supply and high demand.

Don't change Cameron!!!
    While I've always loved watching Duke Basketball on television, I've only been able to attend a couple of dozen games. Most of these were in the '60's. Now, as popular as the team has become, it's impossible for a simple 'fan' to purchase tickets for a given game. I loved the Cameron charm, but really, the demand for everyone to have a shot at attending more games in person will call for a remodeled, if not new, stadium.

Quote Originally Posted by Festus13 View Post
    While I've always loved watching Duke Basketball on television, I've only been able to attend a couple of dozen games. Most of these were in the '60's. Now, as popular as the team has become, it's impossible for a simple 'fan' to purchase tickets for a given game. I loved the Cameron charm, but really, the demand for everyone to have a shot at attending more games in person will call for a remodeled, if not new, stadium.
    I sure hope not. Cameron brings in nice revenue as is, and the best seats are still for the people that should have them, the Duke undergrads.

Biggest question I have for this:

Why? Why would anyone bother doing this? People pay unbelievable prices for tickets now and would pay more if they were asked to. With or without luxury boxes, they can charge whatever they want. There is always some else who would be willing to take the spot of the person who left theirs behind.

Quote Originally Posted by Festus13 View Post
    As a Duke grad who lives in NC and would absolutely LOVE to go to games in Cameron again, but who can't afford it, I respectfully disagree with you. I will gladly give up any chance to watch another game live to allow the Duke students to continue to see the games in the truly unique Cameron atmosphere. I know Duke hoops is big business, and could sell out a stadium the size of the RBC center or Dean Dome all season long. And I know this would bring all kinds of additional revenue to the school. But I hope Duke continues to live above the finances and keep Duke hoops in Cameron, just as it is today. As time goes by, Cameron will only become more rare as schools go the way of the Tar Heels and the Terps, and leave their Carmichaels and Cole Field Houses behind for soulless vaccuums.

Quote Originally Posted by davekay1971 View Post
    I will gladly give up any chance to watch another game live to allow the Duke students to continue to see the games in the truly unique Cameron atmosphere.
    Seconded. I would volunteer for a lifetime ban if it meant that the existing Cameron environment resulted in 1-2 additional wins per year. Sadly, I recognize Duke basketball will eventually cave to bigger-is-better economics, but it would be nice if we resisted that as long as possible.

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    Seconded. I would volunteer for a lifetime ban if it meant that the existing Cameron environment resulted in 1-2 additional wins per year. Sadly, I recognize Duke basketball will eventually cave to bigger-is-better economics, but it would be nice if we resisted that as long as possible.
    This is precisely the point I was trying to make earlier .... Cameron has been and still is great, but why was it built? Was it not to allow more people to see games than were allowed in the previous arena? Cameron, as great as it is, can be improved upon. That means that one day it will be improved much like our modes of travel, our clothing, our foods, our medicines, nearly everything improves with time.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    I think the changes that have been made are very nice. The concourse is much improved from the smoky days I grew up watching games, and the hall of fame is great. But any changes inside I would be strongly against. The flavor of a game experience includes the cramped quarters and the sticky floor beneath your feet. Boxes would take away from that experience for those in the boxes, and for those in the regular seats as well. It's bad enough that behind the Duke bench now is a bunch of non-students. I don't know who they are, but both games I went to, including Virginia, that whole section was quiet. They didn't even stand up and cheer during fast breaks. They don't show that section on TV. And they wiped out the center section so some TV guy could have his camera there. It was depressing. So I say definately no to internal changes. And boot that camera guy.

Festus, getting into game is not nearly as hard as you make it out to be. Only a few are truly hard tix. The McGrupp method is nearly flawless for getting into CIS.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisheery View Post
    Why? Why would anyone bother doing this? People pay unbelievable prices for tickets now and would pay more if they were asked to. With or without luxury boxes, they can charge whatever they want. There is always some else who would be willing to take the spot of the person who left theirs behind.
    My problem with increases in the qualifying contribution levels and the ticket prices themselves is not so much that it costs me more to maintain my pair of season tickets, but that it is gradually forcing out longtime dedicated Duke fans whose places are being taken by corporate types who only attend a few marquee games and let fans of opposing teams use their tickets (or sell the tickets on e-Bay or StubHub) for the remaining games. Even a few years ago, you could count on being surrounded by the same folks--enthusiastic Blue Devil fans all--at every home game. Last season, many of the seats near us in Section 8 were occupied by different people for almost every game. Worst of all, the two seats adjacent to ours were frequently used by fans of the visiting team, at least for the ACC games (except, thankfully, the UNC game, when the two guys sitting there appeared to be neutral observers).

While the visiting fans sitting around us have almost always been cordial and well-behaved, and I certainly have nothing against season ticket holders letting friends or family members use their seats to enjoy the Cameron experience (as I have done myself on a couple of occasions), it perturbs me greatly to see opposing fans regularly taking seats that ought to be filled with diehard Duke fans cheering loudly for the home team. And it's apparent to me that we're not the only ones whose enjoyment of the game is diminished by the presence of those "interlopers." I understand that Duke needs to increase athletic revenues, and that Cameron is like a cow the Iron Dukes can milk every day; but pricing seats in Cameron at a level where the real Duke fans are being displaced by people for whom the tickets are simply a business expense (or worse yet, a source of profit) is IMO a shameful sacrilege.

CIS tix

Quote Originally Posted by Stray Gator View Post
    My problem with increases in the qualifying contribution levels and the ticket prices themselves is not so much that it costs me more to maintain my pair of season tickets, but that it is gradually forcing out longtime dedicated Duke fans whose places are being taken by corporate types who only attend a few marquee games and let fans of opposing teams use their tickets (or sell the tickets on e-Bay or StubHub) for the remaining games. Even a few years ago, you could count on being surrounded by the same folks--enthusiastic Blue Devil fans all--at every home game. Last season, many of the seats near us in Section 8 were occupied by different people for almost every game. Worst of all, the two seats adjacent to ours were frequently used by fans of the visiting team, at least for the ACC games (except, thankfully, the UNC game, when the two guys sitting there appeared to be neutral observers).

While the visiting fans sitting around us have almost always been cordial and well-behaved, and I certainly have nothing against season ticket holders letting friends or family members use their seats to enjoy the Cameron experience (as I have done myself on a couple of occasions), it perturbs me greatly to see opposing fans regularly taking seats that ought to be filled with diehard Duke fans cheering loudly for the home team. And it's apparent to me that we're not the only ones whose enjoyment of the game is diminished by the presence of those "interlopers." I understand that Duke needs to increase athletic revenues, and that Cameron is like a cow the Iron Dukes can milk every day; but pricing seats in Cameron at a level where the real Duke fans are being displaced by people for whom the tickets are simply a business expense (or worse yet, a source of profit) is IMO a shameful sacrilege.

Stray,

I think that is the major complaint of several (many?) folks. The real problem is what, if anything can be done about the practice? Is there anything the ID can do about the resale of these tix? Track what folks are sitting where? Monitor the internet ticket resale sites? Cancel your subscription if you are caught reselling your tix? I do not have any answer for this. Some will counter that they donate enough money each year and, in order to recoup some of their costs, they wish to resell the tix and really don't care to whom, as long as they make a "reasonable profit." Most, I would hope, would only resell to real "fans" or turn the tix in to the ID office so they may resell to other ID folks unable to buy season tix who are on their waiting list for each individual game. Have you ever discussed this with any folks in the ID/BB ticket office and offered any suggestions? Any response from their perspective? Serious questions and discussion here-not meant to argue or provoke.

Our fanbase is not as big as many of you think. (Certainly not locally.) We could not routinely sell out a building like the DeadDome or RBC. Keep in mind that someday our program just might not be at it's current elite level. Think of what it would be like in a big sterile building then....
    Trinity '97, Tent #1 '97
    Tampa

Quote Originally Posted by Kdogg View Post
    I know this idea has been talked about for at least five years and probably longer. The ideas have included raising the roof, or inserting boxes in the corners. The main problem would be where the team would play. At least now we have the new practice courts but game day would be the problem. You can not cram those people into Card or Mem Gym.
    One early Cameron design called for a domed roof...

...that would allow some Luxury box suites.

"Our fanbase is not as big as many of you think. (Certainly not locally.) We could not routinely sell out a building like the DeadDome or RBC. Keep in mind that someday our program just might not be at it's current elite level. Think of what it would be like in a big sterile building then...."

Our fanbase is huge, but not our alum fanbase, totally different, especially in the state of NC. I can tell you there are Duke fans all over the world, ask Bob Green We could/would sell out every home game with an 18,000 or 20,000 seat place, but there'd be a lot more opposing fans there, plus the current aura/coziness of CIS would likely be gone. I can understand an expansion to about 12,000 seats as long as the mystique is preserved, but nothing like the Whine and Cheese Dome.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Stray,

I think that is the major complaint of several (many?) folks. The real problem is what, if anything can be done about the practice? Is there anything the ID can do about the resale of these tix? Track what folks are sitting where? Monitor the internet ticket resale sites? Cancel your subscription if you are caught reselling your tix? I do not have any answer for this. Some will counter that they donate enough money each year and, in order to recoup some of their costs, they wish to resell the tix and really don't care to whom, as long as they make a "reasonable profit." Most, I would hope, would only resell to real "fans" or turn the tix in to the ID office so they may resell to other ID folks unable to buy season tix who are on their waiting list for each individual game. Have you ever discussed this with any folks in the ID/BB ticket office and offered any suggestions? Any response from their perspective? Serious questions and discussion here-not meant to argue or provoke.
    I have been discussing the problem with a few good friends who are also season ticket holders and are equally disturbed by this trend; but it's premature to raise the issue with the Iron Dukes office until we can offer a feasible solution. The Iron Dukes already have a program whereby season ticket holders can notify the office that they will not be using their tickets for a game, and the tickets are then reissued to Iron Dukes who have put their names on a "wait list" for any unused tickets. Personally, I think anyone caught selling their tickets above face value should not be allowed to renew their season tickets; and I'm sure the IRS would like to know which people who are taking the 80% tax deduction for their "contributions" are recouping that "investment" by selling their tickets for a profit. With a little effort, it shouldn't be that difficult for the Iron Dukes to trace the owners of those seats that are listed for sale online. But that doesn't solve the problem of corporate purchasers who use the tickets as favors for clients or individuals who work with sidewalk scalpers.

Strictly speaking, I suppose anyone who pays the money can argue that they should be entitled to do as they please with their tickets. I just wish there was a way for the Iron Dukes to give priority to purchasers who have a genuine interest in supporting the Blue Devils over those who are more interested in selling to the highest bidder.