Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 30

Thread: baseball

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh

    baseball

    WFU-7, Duke-3 last PM. That drops us to 9th place overall in the ACC and OUT of the tournament for now unless we take today's and Sunday's games against the Deacs. I believe we have another 1 or 2 series left but winning the next 2 games would help greatly, putting WFU a game or two behind us in the overall standings as only the top 8 teams play in the tourney.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Wake won today 3-1, wasting a solid performance on the mound by Manno.

    Duke has another ACC series, next week at Va. tech but for it to mean anything, Duke really needs to win tomorrow. Assuming the game is even played. Weather forecast pretty grim.

    Bad time for the bats to go silent.

  3. #3

    See foot. Shoot it.

    Losing three to BC and now at least two to Wake is the difference in potentially going to the NCAA tournament and not even making the ACC tournament. You are there as a team/program when you win most of the games you're supposed to and some of the ones your not. We were supposed to win those two series.

  4. #4

    Baseball stunk it up over the weekend

    But, somebody tell me if I'm looking at this incorrectly: If Duke sweeps VaTech this weekend, we get into the ACC tournament over Clemson and the difference being we have one less loss than they do AND the infamous tie game?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh

    baseball

    Quote Originally Posted by Inonehand View Post
    But, somebody tell me if I'm looking at this incorrectly: If Duke sweeps VaTech this weekend, we get into the ACC tournament over Clemson and the difference being we have one less loss than they do AND the infamous tie game?
    I was wondering the same thing, but I do not know if Clemson has any more ACC games to play. You are right, however, we stunk up the diamond for the series against WFU. Our 3 losses to BC, another team below us in the standings also hurt greatly as I believe Jim Sumner also pointed out.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Yes,

    If Duke sweeps VT this weekend, Duke is in. No wiggle room, however.

    If this happens, the feces will hit the rotating blade big time. The Clemson folks are absolutely convinced that Duke stole a win from them by manipulating the rules.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh

    baseball

    Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Yes,

    If Duke sweeps VT this weekend, Duke is in. No wiggle room, however.

    If this happens, the feces will hit the rotating blade big time. The Clemson folks are absolutely convinced that Duke stole a win from them by manipulating the rules.
    C'mon Jim, you know Duke gets all the calls anyway...

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    C'mon Jim, you know Duke gets all the calls anyway...
    As we should.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh

    still alive

    5/15: Duke-4, vt-2
    5/16: Duke-5, vt-8
    5/17: Duke-7, vt-5

    The loss on Friday eliminated them from the ACC tourney and they finish 10-18 in the ACC which is 1/2 GB the tiggers. Too bad, but as mentioned previously, 3 losses each to BC and Wake doomed them.

  10. #10
    McNally's decision to go the gamesmanship route cost us....the baseball gods don't like that ****. Can't remember a time when a Duke coach like McNally basically said, "Ok, there's a million in one chance that one of our kids will get hit by lightning, and for some unknown reason we sent out grounds crew home, and we're not gonna compete." That's what kills me. We could've won that game. 2 runs down with a half inning to play with an aluminum bat. Instead, he wussed out.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Hot'Lanta... home of sports teams that disappoint in the playoffs
    Quote Originally Posted by devilirium View Post
    McNally's decision to go the gamesmanship route cost us....the baseball gods don't like that ****. Can't remember a time when a Duke coach like McNally basically said, "Ok, there's a million in one chance that one of our kids will get hit by lightning, and for some unknown reason we sent out grounds crew home, and we're not gonna compete." That's what kills me. We could've won that game. 2 runs down with a half inning to play with an aluminum bat. Instead, he wussed out.
    Explain-- for those of us who do not follow the team.

    -Jason "how did we steal a game from Clemson earlier this year?" Evans

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Pensacola, FL
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Explain-- for those of us who do not follow the team.

    -Jason "how did we steal a game from Clemson earlier this year?" Evans
    The last game of a three game series was tied late in the game, 1-1 I believe?, but was not finished because of lightning, McNally's call.

  13. #13
    Actually, it was 6-6 going into extra innings. Clemson scored twice to make it 8-6. A Duke official came out onto the field as soon as the last Clemson run scored and said, "There's been a lightning report in Chapel Hill". I guess people in Durham can't see lightning 8 miles away. The grounds crew was sent home (inexplicably) earlier that day, and Coach McNally (in his infinite wisdom) wouldn't allow his players to tarp the field. About 40 minutes later, it started to rain (but no lightning) and it made the field unplayable. McNally knew that if he didn't do anything then the tie would be preserved. McNally may have improved our record from year to year incrementally, but he's a gutless coach.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Lewisville, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by devilirium View Post
    Actually, it was 6-6 going into extra innings. Clemson scored twice to make it 8-6. A Duke official came out onto the field as soon as the last Clemson run scored and said, "There's been a lightning report in Chapel Hill". I guess people in Durham can't see lightning 8 miles away. The grounds crew was sent home (inexplicably) earlier that day, and Coach McNally (in his infinite wisdom) wouldn't allow his players to tarp the field. About 40 minutes later, it started to rain (but no lightning) and it made the field unplayable. McNally knew that if he didn't do anything then the tie would be preserved. McNally may have improved our record from year to year incrementally, but he's a gutless coach.
    Statements from Duke and the ACC conference office regarding the lightning game:

    http://www.thetigernet.com/view/story.do?id=7273

    Davis Whitfield, Assistant Commissioner of the Atlantic Coast Conference, has issued the following statement regarding Duke's baseball game against Clemson on Sunday, April 20.
    "Duke followed its institutional protocol regarding severe weather during Sunday's baseball game against Clemson. After discussions with representatives from both schools, we support Duke's handling of this situation as we would support other league institutions when following their inclement weather protocol. The safety of student-athletes, coaches and staff is a top priority for all of our league institutions"

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Hot'Lanta... home of sports teams that disappoint in the playoffs
    Quote Originally Posted by devilirium View Post
    Actually, it was 6-6 going into extra innings. Clemson scored twice to make it 8-6. A Duke official came out onto the field as soon as the last Clemson run scored and said, "There's been a lightning report in Chapel Hill". I guess people in Durham can't see lightning 8 miles away. The grounds crew was sent home (inexplicably) earlier that day, and Coach McNally (in his infinite wisdom) wouldn't allow his players to tarp the field. About 40 minutes later, it started to rain (but no lightning) and it made the field unplayable. McNally knew that if he didn't do anything then the tie would be preserved. McNally may have improved our record from year to year incrementally, but he's a gutless coach.
    Wow-- I can understand Clemson feeling jobbed. That's pretty low.

    --Jason

  16. #16

    this was lightning

    not just rain, lightning. it flashed over the stadium just as the game was called. they use aluminum bats. anybody who thinks mcnally was gutless is 100 percent wrong. he didn't take any chances with the lives of his and clemson's players. finishing the game was irrelevant. the ground crew had been sent home because duke doesn't have enough of them or pay them to stick around. for the record, in his third year, mcnally's team finished 37-18-1, won 10 games in the ACC for the first time since 2000, went 27-0 against non-acc opponents for first time in school history. with the worst facility in the league -- read the strategic report -- he's done a remarkable job. and, for all u lightning fans, he followed the ACC rules to the letter.

  17. #17
    yeah, we'll agree to disagree. I live right near East Campus and the lightning was never present. The rain came close to an hour later. He knew the gig.

    I'll commend him for going undefeated, but that non conference wasn't exactly a murderer's row...hell, NC Central just started playing baseball again. Iona, Davidson, Campbell, etc. Man those are some heavyweights right there.
    Last edited by devilirium; 05-18-2008 at 04:09 PM. Reason: adding more info

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Pensacola, FL
    Quote Originally Posted by devilirium View Post

    I'll commend him for going undefeated, but that non conference wasn't exactly a murderer's row...hell, NC Central just started playing baseball again. Iona, Davidson, Campbell, etc. Man those are some heavyweights right there.

    Still. It's 27-0.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by devilirium View Post
    yeah, we'll agree to disagree. I live right near East Campus and the lightning was never present. The rain came close to an hour later. He knew the gig.

    I'll commend him for going undefeated, but that non conference wasn't exactly a murderer's row...hell, NC Central just started playing baseball again. Iona, Davidson, Campbell, etc. Man those are some heavyweights right there.
    Non-conference schedules are primarily a function of geography. If you are, for example, Cal State Fullerton, you can play a killer non-conference schedule if you choose to do so, because USC, UCLA, Pepperdine, Stanford, Cal, USD, San Diego State, Arizona, and Arizona State are all within easy travel distance (so, for that matter, are Loyola Marymount and UNLV). If you're Duke, the only good non-ACC team within easy travel distance is Coastal Carolina. In order for Duke to beef up its non-conference schedule, it's going to have to go on the road in February to play weekend series at SEC schools. Where's the revenue to cover those costs?

    The program is pretty clearly moving in the right direction. The ACC is one of the four toughest conferences in college baseball. Gotta crawl before you can walk. Next year, making the ACC tournament will be the goal.

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by devilirium View Post
    yeah, we'll agree to disagree. I live right near East Campus and the lightning was never present. The rain came close to an hour later. He knew the gig.

    I'll commend him for going undefeated, but that non conference wasn't exactly a murderer's row...hell, NC Central just started playing baseball again. Iona, Davidson, Campbell, etc. Man those are some heavyweights right there.
    You cannot extrapolate the weather near East Campus to the weather on West Campus. If you've lived here long enough you would know that the weather can be pretty variable in venues even one mile apart.

    As for the teams ability to defeat non-conference opponents, I think you need to look at who they used to lose to before McNally. It was my perception that Duke used to lose to those same teams.

Similar Threads

  1. Which Bad Boy of Baseball gets your vote?
    By EarlJam in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 01-11-2008, 11:34 PM
  2. Baseball Trades
    By tombrady in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 12-15-2007, 07:00 AM
  3. Who's Your Baseball Team?
    By EarlJam in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 10-15-2007, 11:43 AM
  4. The best race in baseball
    By JasonEvans in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 10-01-2007, 06:50 PM
  5. Duke baseball anyone??
    By godukerocks in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-07-2007, 10:00 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •