Thread: Women's lax

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Women's lax

Playing now (or done already?) at G'town. Any one with a final? No update on goduke.com yet.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Playing now (or done already?) at G'town. Any one with a final? No update on goduke.com yet.
    WLax plays tomorrow.

2 pm today in Washington. Go Devils!

Proud of all our great womens' teams this year!

WLax is positioned and was tested similarly to Wsoccer this year. Having fought through a challenging regular season and ACC tournament, they are now ready for a run deep into the NCAA tornament.

If you want to watch at 2:00pm, here's the link. http://guhoyas.cstv.com/?KEY=JGMDUMS...DB_OEM_ID=4200

GO DUKE!!!

Duke 8-5 over Georgetown at the half.

Final....Duke 10 Georgetown 8

Way to go ladies!

cool story about women's lax at northwestern -- club team to ncaa champs: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...x.html?eref=T1

Terrific Fun!

Was at the game. My daughter, a soph in a DC high school, finished her first varsity season and I wanted to see how the game is played at the higher levels. Terrific game to watch, pass and catch sport, with pass and catch, in my opinion, being the best, most fun thing one can do in sport.

Duke has a terrific long passing game. Absent the checks of the men's game, the women's passing game is much more dramatic in the open field. Many truly impressively accurate passing to players at full sprint.

What amazes is the very, very few number of drops or misses off of those and other passes. Anybody ever take a look at what passes for baskets at the end of those sticks. Small doesn't begin to describe it.

Oh, and did I mention that these players run. I mean the stride that several of the Duke athletes put out weaving down the field was incredible to see.

And the half court passing game, with clear outs on the side of the ball, with a screen or two on the other side, and a player receiving it coming off the screen and taking it to 15 and letting go a sidearm shot, usually a terrifically gifted women named Carol (I think) Davis, whose Dad (a former player for the 'Cuse) and Uncle tried to explain some of the rules to me.

If you get a chance, take in one of these games. I like that they have kept "girl's rules" in play. It leaves some of the elan in the game, and takes a lot of the injuries out of the game. It does not, as some have said (not here) make it less interesting as a sport.

In light of the cover story in this Sunday's Times Magazine, "Girl's Hurting", one can only applaud that of the many athletes on both teams, only one was wearing a knee brace. Carol, she tore her ACL last year. You have to see her, though, as graceful and quick an attack with a deadly shot as you'll see anywhere.

Next week at Maryland. You'll recognize me. I'll be the old guy who never questionjs a ref's call because I still don't have a clue about the rules.

Oh, if anybody knows the coach, tell him my kid never losses a faceoff, can run with anyone, and has a rocket. Maybe next year I won't have to hide behind the stands to watch her.

Great win for Coach Kimel's squad.

Congrats, Duke.

women's lax

Quote Originally Posted by greybeard View Post
    Was at the game. My daughter, a soph in a DC high school, finished her first varsity season and I wanted to see how the game is played at the higher levels. Terrific game to watch, pass and catch sport, with pass and catch, in my opinion, being the best, most fun thing one can do in sport.

Duke has a terrific long passing game. Absent the checks of the men's game, the women's passing game is much more dramatic in the open field. Many truly impressively accurate passing to players at full sprint.

What amazes is the very, very few number of drops or misses off of those and other passes. Anybody ever take a look at what passes for baskets at the end of those sticks. Small doesn't begin to describe it.

Oh, and did I mention that these players run. I mean the stride that several of the Duke athletes put out weaving down the field was incredible to see.

And the half court passing game, with clear outs on the side of the ball, with a screen or two on the other side, and a player receiving it coming off the screen and taking it to 15 and letting go a sidearm shot, usually a terrifically gifted women named Carol (I think) Davis, whose Dad (a former player for the 'Cuse) and Uncle tried to explain some of the rules to me.

If you get a chance, take in one of these games. I like that they have kept "girl's rules" in play. It leaves some of the elan in the game, and takes a lot of the injuries out of the game. It does not, as some have said (not here) make it less interesting as a sport.

In light of the cover story in this Sunday's Times Magazine, "Girl's Hurting", one can only applaud that of the many athletes on both teams, only one was wearing a knee brace. Carol, she tore her ACL last year. You have to see her, though, as graceful and quick an attack with a deadly shot as you'll see anywhere.

Next week at Maryland. You'll recognize me. I'll be the old guy who never questionjs a ref's call because I still don't have a clue about the rules.

Oh, if anybody knows the coach, tell him my kid never losses a faceoff, can run with anyone, and has a rocket. Maybe next year I won't have to hide behind the stands to watch her.
    We will be in the DC area next weekend visiting my wife's classmate who convinced us 35 years ago that we should go out on a date. Was she ever right! We will also be visiting our son who lives in DC. If I can convince the other folks, we may take in a Duke women's lax game next Saturday. If it's Sunday, we are S.O.L. as we are returning to Raleigh Saturday PM. I will PM you later this week if it looks favorable. Your review was entertaining and encouraging to read.

Quote Originally Posted by greybeard View Post

Thanks, Greybeard...great stuff. I know your daughter will benefit from taking in the game with you, no matter what her ultimate path is.

My sense is that this WLax team is a well-coached and together bunch...Look out Twerps. Here's a recap of the game. http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.db...ATCLID=1468909