Exclamation Help for a computer idiot?

I've been using computers since the early '80s. I'm savvy with the things I use every day - word processing, spread sheets, internet, etc. BUT, I always feel stupid when things don't work as they should -- or if there's something I want to do but don't know how.

I've looked into "Computer Courses" in my area, but they always seem too elementary for me or too advanced.

SOOOO, I ask for your help. Can anyone recommend an online course, or a CD course for me? If it starts out 'simple' (...this is a mouse, this is a monitor) so be it. I can always fastforward through that.

I really need to get less stupid about all of this. I am handy with lots of things,... but electronics ---Nada. Help me out DBR. Thanks!!

Fearless Curiosity

I'm not sure about any of the courses offered in our area, but I've never been a big fan of them. I've always been curious about how things work, and I've never been afraid of breaking things sooooooo, I jump right in. This approach won't work for everyone but I think it's a personality trait that distinguishes casual users from "power" users.

What types of things do you want to accomplish? Have you tried Google? I think it's a great place to start if you have some basic knowledge about what you're trying to accomplish.

You can always send me a message too, I'll be happy to help or point you in the right direction.

Have fun!

My dad started using a computer in his 70's and I think he used the "Dummies" series of books to help him out. I'm sure there are quite a few regarding different aspects of computer use.
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

I've heard bad things about the Video Professor - I don't think their material is that good, and on top of that, they supposedly have horrible customer service when it comes to getting a refund or figuring out when your stuff will arrive.

Are you necessarily looking for courses? Maybe "for dummies" books might be useful like Rich suggests.

i have used the "dummies" computer books as well. Seem to be as good as any. The last one was when I switched to the Leopard Apple system. I did not need all the stuff written as it started from scratch, but the book made it easy to skip ahead.

I think it would help if you could define a little more what you want to learn.

These could break down into:

Hardware (what's a motherboard/CPU/processor; video cards; memory, etc.)
    Operating system (Windows XP, Windows Vista, Apple OS, Linux.)
    Applications (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Access, Outlook, ??)
    Web (programming? technologies? browswers?)
    Web applications (google docs, gmail, ZoHo, Facebook, blogging, flickr)

I find I always learn best when I have to actually do something -- so is there a project you're trying to undertake? (e.g. Get a blog up and running; get a family picture sharing site?)

If you can help define that, I think our rec's would be a lot more focused and helpful.

That said, I do remember there's a library association that has a list of like the top 20 things you should know about, for computers/web. Let me see if I can find that, it was really thorough, and my mom loved it.

Thanks DevilAlumna

Applications is (I think) my main concern. And HC, when I get the chance I will PM you with gratitude.

Quote Originally Posted by dukemomLA View Post
    Applications is (I think) my main concern
    In using software, the only way I have found to learn is to do it and add to your knowledge as you need to do something else. What I mean is reading a book about using Excel will teach you very little. Creating a spreadsheet or amortization schedule or checkbook register in a step by step process will teach you more. Almost applications follow the same logic and basic commands.

Remember, unless you hit it with a hammer, you can't hurt it. Experiment.

Indoor66 is spot on. Play, play, play! Always easiest if you have a goal/project in mind, though.

Here was that blog/list I mentioned: http://plcmcl2-things.blogspot.com/

For Microsoft applications, there're great training resources available for free -- pick an application, and there are loads of 20-40min. demo/trainings on various topics/how-tos: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/tr...565001033.aspx

And when you're in an applicatioon, I would also recommend the RTFM (read the freekin' manual) approach -- F1 (aka Help) really does actually have some good stuff in it.

Training for WindowsXP: http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/win...windowsxp.mspx

This also looks like a decent overview (windows Vista-oriented): http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/win...winbasics.mspx

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Remember, unless you hit it with a hammer, you can't hurt it. Experiment.
    That may be more true these days, but when I was a kid learning computers I broke the hell out of them (I'm just talking software here -- I broke them even worse when I started playing with hardware). It was a great way to learn.

Quote Originally Posted by billybreen View Post
    That may be more true these days, but when I was a kid learning computers I broke the hell out of them (I'm just talking software here -- I broke them even worse when I started playing with hardware). It was a great way to learn.
    My first PC was an Oborne. It was a portable with 5" screen, 64 k of memory and double disk drives for software and memory. I got it in late, 1980. In 1981 I spent, IRRC, $145 for an Ex-Mon adapter that allowed me to have an external 12" B/W monitor and I was rockin' in tall cotton!

The Osborne: http://oldcomputers.net/osborne.html (The model I had was not as fancy as the one pictured. Mine was more pure suitcase like and was all sheet metal.)

Dang, that's hardcore, I66!

My brother and I had to share the Timex Sinclair -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timex_Sinclair_1000

No disk drives for us; recorded our programs on audio tape!

Quote Originally Posted by DevilAlumna View Post
    Dang, that's hardcore, I66!

My brother and I had to share the Timex Sinclair -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timex_Sinclair_1000

No disk drives for us; recorded our programs on audio tape!
    Good lord, I forgot the Sinclair I had. That predated the Osborne. You are correct. No drives. Mine must have been an earlier model. I remember a keyboard and 16k of ram. I used the TV for a monitor. Very limited functionality. As I looked at the wiki article, I had the 80 model.

I also remember a company we bought in '82. The had a service providing stock quotes - was called Stock Watch. We made our own 1200 baud modems (fastest at that time) and used TRS 80 computers. That was Radio Shack and they were fondly called Trash 80's. We made our demonstrations using a cassette recording of the quotes. We traveled all over with a Trash 80 and cassette player. If you subscribed you got a computer and modem. You had to provide a dedicated phone line.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    My first PC was an Oborne. It was a portable with 5" screen, 64 k of memory and double disk drives for software and memory. I got it in late, 1980. In 1981 I spent, IRRC, $145 for an Ex-Mon adapter that allowed me to have an external 12" B/W monitor and I was rockin' in tall cotton!

The Osborne: http://oldcomputers.net/osborne.html (The model I had was not as fancy as the one pictured. Mine was more pure suitcase like and was all sheet metal.)
    The Osborne, now largely remembered as a footnote in early PC history through an unfavorable lashing from the acid tongue of Steve Jobs.