Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Brother Acts in College Basketball

When the Plumlee brothers join up on the Duke team, they will be part of a small group of brothers who played together on the same major Division 1 team. I’m sure that there are a bunch more but I can only recall the Lopez twins at Stanford, Griffin brothers at Oklahoma, Stewart twins at USC, Grant brothers at Clemson, Mahaffey brothers at Clemson, Lewis brothers at Maryland, O’Bannon brothers at UCLA, McCray brothers at Louisville and, IMO, the best brother set, the Van Arsdale twins at Indiana. The Mahaffey brothers (4 of them) overlapped their careers during the 60’s.

Are there others?

gw67

How about the Hill brothers

Quote Originally Posted by gw67 View Post
    When the Plumlee brothers join up on the Duke team, they will be part of a small group of brothers who played together on the same major Division 1 team. I’m sure that there are a bunch more but I can only recall the Lopez twins at Stanford, Griffin brothers at Oklahoma, Stewart twins at USC, Grant brothers at Clemson, Mahaffey brothers at Clemson, Lewis brothers at Maryland, O’Bannon brothers at UCLA, McCray brothers at Louisville and, IMO, the best brother set, the Van Arsdale twins at Indiana. The Mahaffey brothers (4 of them) overlapped their careers during the 60’s.

Are there others?

gw67
    Thomas and Grant. Won back to back titles, as I recall.

I don't remember their names...

But there was a set of twins that played for UAB when they upset #1 seed Kentucky as an 8 a couple of years ago. I remember, as I'm sure a lot of you do, that ridiculous no look, over his head pass after a steal from one twin to the next for a dunk. It was one of the coolest highlights I've seen in a game. Anyone else remember this or their names?

The Collins twins, Jarron and Jason (I believe), played at Stanford together as well. They were on the Casey Jacobsen team that knocked us off early season in '00-'01, if I recall correctly. Also, both went on to play in the NBA.

What about the Rick Berry's sons? I think I remember at least two who played for Georgia Tech.

Quote Originally Posted by Devil in the Blue Dress View Post
    What about the Rick Berry's sons? I think I remember at least two who played for Georgia Tech.
    Drew and Jon Barry went to GaTech, but I don't think they overlapped. The other sons were Brent (Oregon St?) and Scooter (OK?).

Did Jeff and Joe Wolf ever play together at UNC?

Weren't they related??

Jarvis and Jervis Hayes played for Georgia about 4 years ago.

Stokes

Bobby Stokes and Ricky Stokes at UVa, but I don't think their careers overlapped. I know Bobby Stokes played on UVa's 1976 championship team and Ricky played with Ralph Sampson so they were a few years apart.

Horace and Harvey Grant went to Clemson together, IIRC. Harvey redshirted his freshman year, Horace didn't, and then Horace got a decent bit more playing time the next year, so Harvey transferred out, first to junior college and eventually to Oklahoma.

I remembered the Barry and Stokes brothers and forgot about the Wolf brothers. None of these brothers played on the same team at the same time. The Hayes brothers (twins?) were accomplished players.

gw67

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Jarvis and Jervis Hayes played for Georgia about 4 years ago.
    I think it was actually jarvis and jonas.
    My Quick Smells Like French Toast.

Scooter Barry played at Kansas on the '88 title team.

Next year Kansas will have Marcus and Markieff Morris, twins from New Jersey.

Wichita State, in some of their darker years, had twins, the Praylows. They weren't very good.

Omar and Jordan Wilkes (sons of Jamaal) played some together at Cal after Omar transferred out of Kansas when Roy left.
    Last edited by crimsonandblue; 05-09-2008 at 11:16 AM. Reason: to note that gw already mentioned the Griffin boys at OU.

brothers

Just checked ... the Lewis brothers (Derrick and Cedric) overlapped one season at Maryland (1988). The Stokes brothers (Bobby and Rickey) just missed each other at Virginia. The Grant brothers (Horace and Harvey) only played together one season at Clemson (1984). Harvey did redshirt in 1983, when Horace played, then after 1984, Harvey transffered to Oklahoma (he started on the 1988 team that lost in the NCAA finals to Danny and the Miracles). The Wolf brothers at UNC (Joe and Jeff) never played together. Neither did the Brust brothers (Chris and Matt) in the early 1980s. Jay and Tom McMillen never overlapped at Maryland. Jon and Drew Barry just missed each other at Georgia Tech.

The Mahaffey's overlapped some. Let's see -- in started with Tom, who played in 1960, 1961 and 1962. Donnie played in 1962, 1963 and 1964. Randy played in 1965, 1966 and 1967. Richie played in 1967, 1968 and 1970 (he missed 69 with an injury). So even though they had four brothers playing in one 11-year span, they never had more than two at a time. In fact, the only overlap was Tom and Donnie in 1962; Richie and Randy in 1967.**

N.C. State also had the Walker brothers (Steve and Brian) in 1977 ... but they both transferred back to Purdue together.

In addition to all the other brother combos mentioned, keep in mind that UNC will add a brother combo when Duke does -- the Wear twins (Travis and David) will enroll at UNC when Mason arrives at Duke.

**In view of the speculation about what Duke will put on the back of their jersies when Miles and Mason play together, it's interesting that the records for Clemson in 1967 refer to Ri. Mahaffey and Ra. Mahaffey.

Also, the ACC tracks brother combinations and eight brother groups have combined to score 1,000-plus points in league history: 1. The Mahaffey's (3,555); 2. The McMillen's (3,107), 3. The Capels (Jeff at Duke, Jason at UNC: 3,048), 4. The Barrys (2,333); 5. The Lewis's (1,993); 6. The Grants (counting only points scored in the ACC: 1,840); 7. The Wolf's (1,590) and 8. The Stokes's (1,318).

Penn State rode the Crispin brothers to the NCAA tourney. They also combined for 57 points in this notable win.

taylors

Ronell & Donell Taylor at UAB

Quote Originally Posted by guybrush View Post
    Ronell & Donell Taylor at UAB
    The Taylor twins were great. They wore numbers 1 and 2. The one who wore #1 sported two long socks in honor of his brother, the guy who wore #2 wore one long sock.

They were responsible for one of my all time favorite NCAA plays, too:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=hyKsOwfeXRo

Rodrick Stewart and Lodrick Stewart were supposed to play for Matt Doherty's UNC squad, but something happened (I can't remember, but I think it was a case of miscommunication) and Lodrick ended up going to U$C, while Rodrick is at Kansas.

Quote Originally Posted by Schwarz View Post
    Penn State rode the Crispin brothers to the NCAA tourney. They also combined for 57 points in this notable win.
    They combined for 26 points (on 9-32 shooting) in this win.

I'm pretty sure that the Stewart twins played for a year at USC and then one of them transferred to Kansas after his freshman year. They were really hyped when they were considering UNC. I believe injuries may have played a role but I got the impression that neither was a particularly good shooter and neither shared the ball when they got their hands on it.

gw67