Colin Cowherd doesn't totally hate Duke

Just thought I'd share this, since everyone seems to think he hates Duke. He was talking about sports venues that live up to the hype, meaning places he has been told are amazing to visit and actually are. One of the places he said was excellent and totally lives up to the hype is CIS. Some of the places that didn't were Yankee Stadium and the LA Coliseum. IMO, he doesn't hate Duke at all, he is just honest about some things that we as fans don't want to hear. I don't think Duke is done, but I do agree that they aren't as good as some of K's older teams, but seriously, in today's game, who is? K's run through the 90s and early 2000s is impossible for anyone to match, thats what makes it so extraordinary. Anyway, just thought I would share since I might be the only one on the board who likes him. FYI, when asked, he said he was definitely a K man and not a Roy fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Cormac View Post
    Just thought I'd share this, since everyone seems to think he hates Duke. He was talking about sports venues that live up to the hype, meaning places he has been told are amazing to visit and actually are. One of the places he said was excellent and totally lives up to the hype is CIS. Some of the places that didn't were Yankee Stadium and the LA Coliseum. IMO, he doesn't hate Duke at all, he is just honest about some things that we as fans don't want to hear. I don't think Duke is done, but I do agree that they aren't as good as some of K's older teams, but seriously, in today's game, who is? K's run through the 90s and early 2000s is impossible for anyone to match, thats what makes it so extraordinary. Anyway, just thought I would share since I might be the only one on the board who likes him. FYI, when asked, he said he was definitely a K man and not a Roy fan.

Colin Cowherds comments the last few months are nothing more than to get underneath people's skin and create better radio for his show. Duke has a huge fan base and a fan base that is very defensive (for good reason). He is like most radio voices and says stuff for the aww factor.

I can remember last summer he was always talking about how "outstanding" Duke players are when he has met or interviewed them. He said that he would have a Dukie on his show anytime because they are so intelligient and sophisticated.

Well, he can now invite me on the show as I am a Dukie and I consider myself quite the sophisticate.

Anyway, just thought I would share since I might be the only one on the board who likes him. FYI, when asked, he said he was definitely a K man and not a Roy fan.
    You're not alone in liking the Herd. I try to listen when I get a chance. I'd agree that Colin generally likes Duke. He'll criticize them, as he'll often criticize anyone...but overall, I'd say he pulls for them. If not, he at least has an enormous amount of respect for the program.

Quote Originally Posted by ugadevil View Post
    You're not alone in liking the Herd. I try to listen when I get a chance. I'd agree that Colin generally likes Duke. He'll criticize them, as he'll often criticize anyone...but overall, I'd say he pulls for them. If not, he at least has an enormous amount of respect for the program.

Thank you, thank you, thank you. I have long loved Colin - may be my favorite ESPN Radio guy. Whether or not you agree with him; I think he is just honest and blunt in speaking his mind. Which is more often than not entertaining, insightful, and pertinent.

My like/dislike for him has nothing to do with his opinions on Duke. Which, when I have heard them, have generally been positive. I never understood where some here on the Boards got the idea that he dislikes Duke in any way.

I listen to the Herd when I can but you have to take the show for what it is. There are definitely times where Colin does try to get a rise out listeners and conveniently takes a controversial stance. He does like Duke but he doesn't hesitate to call Duke out when he necessary.

During March Madness he went out of his way to say that he thinks Duke (especially recently) is overranked in the polls due to the name on the front of the jersey. He even went on to say that Duke has become the Notre Dame of college basketball, which I think is utterly ridiculous. Notre Dame hasn't done anything since the mid 90s; it's been (gasp) 4 years since Duke made it to a Final Four. This is the kind of thing I'm talking about.

i like to listen to Colin until he starts using the "voices". If you listen, you know what I mean. He "imitates" the people he is talking about, sounds horrible--I change the station. Just talk in your normal voice, Colin.

Just thought I'd share this, since everyone seems to think he hates Duke. He was talking about sports venues that live up to the hype, meaning places he has been told are amazing to visit and actually are. One of the places he said was excellent and totally lives up to the hype is CIS. Some of the places that didn't were Yankee Stadium and the LA Coliseum.
    I didn't know there was any hype about the LA Coliseum?

I enjoy The Herd, and for what it's worth, he was one of the only big media guys who defended the Duke lacrosse team from the very beginning.

Quote Originally Posted by Clipsfan View Post
    I didn't know there was any hype about the LA Coliseum?
    His words, not mine!! I know he says a lot of things just for ratings, but he is pretty honest about things too, even when he's supposed to be a "homer". He cracks on USC's players a lot, even though he's always accused of being a west coast homer. Plus he bangs on Ohio State constantly, and since I lived in ohio for the first 22 years of my life and hate that university, I love it! Anyone who hates on the Suckeyes is ok in my book! I guess I just think he's refreshing in the radio world and he talks about a lot more than just sports too and can usually support his arguments (see: tv ratings of ND football games the last few years). He also argued that Duke is still a huge tv draw and college basketball needs them, as the ratings dropped significantly in the tournament when they lost early.

Colin is great. One of the few ESPN shows I try and listen to every day. All he does is call it as he sees it. Which, most of the time, is right (as he will gladly point out on his show ) He calls it like he thinks it is, and has numerous times shown when he is right and wrong. And he does of course go for the WHAT!!! factor, but what successful talk show host reaching out to the demographic he is doesn't?

I think he generally likes Duke, but if he sees a blemish with them, or any other team, he will call it out.

Quote Originally Posted by heath_harshman4 View Post
    Colin is great. One of the few ESPN shows I try and listen to every day. All he does is call it as he sees it. Which, most of the time, is right (as he will gladly point out on his show ) He calls it like he thinks it is, and has numerous times shown when he is right and wrong. And he does of course go for the WHAT!!! factor, but what successful talk show host reaching out to the demographic he is doesn't?

I think he generally likes Duke, but if he sees a blemish with them, or any other team, he will call it out.
    My thoughts exactly! BTW, anyone else excited to see how the Rage in the Cage went? I'm pumped for the video, it should be hilarious, just like the one of him 'pulling a hammy' when he lost to Fisch in the 40.

Quote Originally Posted by Classof06 View Post
    I listen to the Herd when I can but you have to take the show for what it is. There are definitely times where Colin does try to get a rise out listeners and conveniently takes a controversial stance. He does like Duke but he doesn't hesitate to call Duke out when he necessary.

During March Madness he went out of his way to say that he thinks Duke (especially recently) is overranked in the polls due to the name on the front of the jersey. He even went on to say that Duke has become the Notre Dame of college basketball, which I think is utterly ridiculous. Notre Dame hasn't done anything since the mid 90s; it's been (gasp) 4 years since Duke made it to a Final Four. This is the kind of thing I'm talking about.

Yes, but he's also said very good things about Duke. We probably were overranked, at least heading into the tournament, based on our play. The Notre Dame comment is a bit silly; but Colin is opinionated. Not Duke-bashing, just his unfettered observation. IIRC he also commented on the astounding success of Duke in the last 20 years, and how we seem to have dropped off more recently. Not that I totally agree - but he wasn't Duke bashing.

And his observations on the lacrosse thing, earlier than most, should alone be enough to show he is not a Duke-basher.

Duke and K can shut everyone up with a run to a Final Four. If not, their team of 8-9 McDonalds all-Americans will continue to get criticism from shows like Cowherds.

Couldn't disagree more...

I think Cowherd's a hack and it has nothing to do with Duke. He takes the extreme position to generate callers, emailers and radio hits. I know that's good business for ratings, but IMHO it's not good radio. And I don't really find him that knowledgeable about sports either. He's taken numeous positions in the past that, if he truly believes them, means he's actually pretty stupid. More likely simply drumming up ratings. He's also a content thief, and has only recently been attributing other people's work that he finds on the internet after getting called out over and over when he acts as if he came up with it.

I've listened to Cowherd more lately on the way to work since the local show got moved and now ends at nine. (I'm an incurable sports radio junkie and he's the only one on at 9:00 AM). He says something every day where I think to myself, "Are you fricking kidding me? You can't be serious."

I know that's the name of the game now in 24 hour news cycles, but give me Tirico and Van Pelt every day of the week. Heck, I even think Rome is much more tolerant than Cowherd. At least he gets good interviews (even if he doesn't interview them that well).

Quote Originally Posted by CenOhioDukeFan View Post
    Duke and K can shut everyone up with a run to a Final Four. If not, their team of 8-9 McDonalds all-Americans will continue to get criticism from shows like Cowherds.
    I doubt that many of us believe that our team is capable of that.

i have to admit...my dial has been staying on cowpie for more than my initial 15 seconds lately...and i wonder if maybe, it's just getting adjusted to his style.

When i first hear jim rome, i, like a lot of others, just didn't get it. I couldn't quite figure out just where he was coming from...but then i caught one of his takes on Rae carruth. It was quite an involved bit where he outline how much money rae was earning the prison laundry ( 8 cents a day) and how much he would earn if he moved up the prison library, (12 cents a day) and then comparing it to the $161K he made PER GAME and how it might have been better just to pay child support..i was in stitches at the level of sarcasm.

once i GOT it about rome, i became a total "clone" and have even been in the jungle a few times.

back to cowpie, i've given him a bit more burn lately, and i've kinda caught on to his schtick...he's no rome....but he's not that bad...

if he starts becoming insufferable, just flip over tj dan patrick....always good..

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    When i first hear jim rome, i, like a lot of others, just didn't get it. I couldn't quite figure out just where he was coming from...but then i caught one of his takes on Rae carruth. It was quite an involved bit where he outline how much money rae was earning the prison laundry ( 8 cents a day) and how much he would earn if he moved up the prison library, (12 cents a day) and then comparing it to the $161K he made PER GAME and how it might have been better just to pay child support..i was in stitches at the level of sarcasm.

once i GOT it about rome, i became a total "clone" and have even been in the jungle a few times.
    I listen sporadically to Rome, and frequently find him entertaining (and just as frequently find his show irritating). One thing I can't quite figure out, particularly with his intentional mispronouncing of Krzyzewski...is he a Duke hater, or just having fun for entertainment purposes? I know he tends to give love to people who go on his show, and Coach K, as far as I know, does not visit the jungle...
    Last edited by -jk; 05-11-2008 at 10:39 AM. Reason: fix quote tag

rome typically calls out peeps he would LOVE to have on his show. Coach K being one of them...he does a schtick about the pronunciation of his name, but he has heaped a lot of praise on K. Some smack also, but i would guess he respects K and if K ever came into the jungle, they would have some fun..

not like that's ever gonna happen.

if K gets the gold in china, look for rome to reveal how he really feels about K..