Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: iTunes Question

iTunes Question

I was messing with my daughter's new video iPod this weekend, which led me to poke around on some new stuff and in turn mess with mine.

I now know you can rent or buy movies on iTunes. That is cool!

Anyone know if you can "burn" rented and/or bought movies to DVD from iTunes?

Quote Originally Posted by Shammrog View Post
    I was messing with my daughter's new video iPod this weekend, which led me to poke around on some new stuff and in turn mess with mine.

I now know you can rent or buy movies on iTunes. That is cool!

Anyone know if you can "burn" rented and/or bought movies to DVD from iTunes?
    Umm, no. That would definitely have precluded the studios' grudging acceptance of the rental model.

Quote Originally Posted by billybreen View Post
    Umm, no. That would definitely have precluded the studios' grudging acceptance of the rental model.
    As I feared... That sux. Still not a bad deal; would have to get dock/player for video iPod to really enjoy them though.

As I feared... That sux. Still not a bad deal; would have to get dock/player for video iPod to really enjoy them though.
    Or an AppleTV. I've been thinking about picking one up since they added HD rentals.

Or an AppleTV. I've been thinking about picking one up since they added HD rentals.
    Oh come on...we all know you've been thinking about picking one up since the first model rolled off the assembly line (actually, probably before that...).

I have put several DVD's that I've purchased on my IPod, but not by using ITunes. I currently have Van Wilder, JFK, Rounders, and a couple others on my IPod that I transferred over from the DVDs that I own.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Oh come on...we all know you've been thinking about picking one up since the first model rolled off the assembly line (actually, probably before that...).
    Nope, the first build sucked, and I mocked a coworker who puts me to shame in the fanboi department incessantly for buying one.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevilJay View Post
    I have put several DVD's that I've purchased on my IPod, but not by using ITunes. I currently have Van Wilder, JFK, Rounders, and a couple others on my IPod that I transferred over from the DVDs that I own.
    [Whisper]Psst. You just admitted to owning Van Wilder in a public place.[/Whisper]

Please share how you did this. I'm traveling this weekend and would love to download a movie or two to my ipod.

[Whisper]Psst. You just admitted to owning Van Wilder in a public place.[/Whisper]
    LOL, okay you got me. I couldn't help it, I had a thing for Tara Reid back in the day pre surgery

And Tilly, I will try to find the software that I used tonight and post a link or the name of it for you. I downloaded software through LimeWire if I remember correctly, for converting DVDs to IPod compatible formats, and it worked like a charm. Granted it is rather dangerous now downloading files from filesharing sites, but it was a risk I took and it worked for me. I promise to try and find it tonight when I'm playing around with the laptop and report back to you here. It def has made my trips to KY a lot easier (where my wife's family lives, 7 hour drive one way) as I can zone out in the passenger seat watching movies and before I know it, we're there. (Okay I might watch one now and then when I'm driving, but I mainly listen to it, swear! )

LOL, okay you got me. I couldn't help it, I had a thing for Tara Reid back in the day pre surgery

And Tilly, I will try to find the software that I used tonight and post a link or the name of it for you. I downloaded software through LimeWire if I remember correctly, for converting DVDs to IPod compatible formats, and it worked like a charm. Granted it is rather dangerous now downloading files from filesharing sites, but it was a risk I took and it worked for me. I promise to try and find it tonight when I'm playing around with the laptop and report back to you here. It def has made my trips to KY a lot easier (where my wife's family lives, 7 hour drive one way) as I can zone out in the passenger seat watching movies and before I know it, we're there. (Okay I might watch one now and then when I'm driving, but I mainly listen to it, swear! )

There are also some applications on download.com. They often are free or at least have a free trial. I used them to convert clips to aac format for iPod use, as well as to burn DVDs.

Quote Originally Posted by TillyGalore View Post
    Please share how you did this. I'm traveling this weekend and would love to download a movie or two to my ipod.
    Handbrake is the way to go.

I've downloaded videos I've taken with my camera to my computer. Can you download those to an ipod too?

I've downloaded videos I've taken with my camera to my computer. Can you download those to an ipod too?
    Um, are those videos "appropriate" for viewing in public???

Um, are those videos "appropriate" for viewing in public???
    Until I get signed releases, I can't answer that.

I think it depends on the camera. If the files are in .mov you should be fine. If they are .avis, it may be trickier.

I think it depends on the camera. If the files are in .mov you should be fine. If they are .avis, it may be trickier.
    I don't know. They are on my home computer so won't get a chance until later to look, but will.

If they are in .avis, any way to convert to .mov?

The videos were shot with a Canon - not sure which model. Does that help you answer my questions?
    Last edited by TillyGalore; 05-07-2008 at 11:38 AM. Reason: I'm Nate James. Does that mean I'm a badass?

I don't know. They are on my home computer so won't get a chance until later to look, but will.

If they are in .avis, any way to convert to .mov?

The videos were shot with a Canon - not sure which model. Does that help you answer my questions?
    There are lots of free tools for importing AVIs into iTunes, but I've never used any of them. And I don't know enough about Canons to say whether you'll need those tools or not.

There are lots of free tools for importing AVIs into iTunes, but I've never used any of them. And I don't know enough about Canons to say whether you'll need those tools or not.
    Thanks! My philosophy in life is, you never know unless you ask. As you can tell, I'm not well versed in the ways of technology, hence ask a lot of questions.

Other than BlueDevilJay, do you know anyone who has used the free tools and have been happy with them? I'm a little nervous about using Limewire for reasons he stated and a few others on the boards have stated.

Am giving up my Nate James status.

Thanks! My philosophy in life is, you never know unless you ask. As you can tell, I'm not well versed in the ways of technology, hence ask a lot of questions.

Other than BlueDevilJay, do you know anyone who has used the free tools and have been happy with them? I'm a little nervous about using Limewire for reasons he stated and a few others on the boards have stated.

Am giving up my Nate James status.
    I would strongly discourage you from downloading software from a P2P application. That's just too dangerous. Any of these tools are just a Google away.