Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by billybreen View Post
    Amen. Tecmo Bowl is the greatest. The Niners play where Rice runs a straight out route was always my favorite.

Screw Madden's complexity. Give me 4 plays.
    And when the defense immediately sacks your QB or stuffs the rush, you get the the glee of yelling "I called your play!"

We spent a lot of time my junior year playing Super Tecmo Bowl. And this was in 1997.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevilJay View Post
    http://www.nintendorepairshop.com <---theres the link. I found a couple other sites as well, but they wanted $50 for me to send them the NES so they could repair it. That site lets you buy your own repair kit and fix it yourself. I never knew either until I did a yahoo search on Friday night and Voila!
    Yahoo! Search?? You *are* old-school.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilAlumna View Post
    Yahoo! Search?? You *are* old-school.
    Yeah I like to kick it old school. I didn't realize until the other day that I was now "uncool" because I don't use Google for everything I plan on getting home this evening and firing up the 386, logging into my Prodigy account and surfing the world wide web for a few.

Ah, Nintendo brings back memories of freshman year in the dorm...and too many hours playing and watching others play.

Waterloo, Ontario (unfortunately, no longer in London England).
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevilJay View Post
    I almost forgot to post about this but here it is. I went to a youth group yardsale this past Friday evening, browse through the stuff, and take a wild guess what I found??

An original Nintendo, with one controller, and about 16 games (more on those in a moment). Needless to say, I immediately asked them how much, and they said would $10 work? I ended up giving them $40 bucks as I wanted to make a donation to the youth group anyways (at my church) and I ran home with the system ecstatic! Obviously, it didn't work all that well but still had a power supply so I knew it could be fixed. Ordered a repair kit (with a new 72 pin connector) off a repair website on Fri night, got it yesterday, and was playing Super Mario 3 all evening yesterday evening. Even came with a tool to open old games so you can clean them as well. Felt kinda weird given that I have a PS3 with COD4, GTA4, and HD graphics and all, and here I was super excited about playing the old original NES.

Games included:
    Mario Bros/Duck Hunt (I got the gun as well, have to put a new bulb in tho)
    Mario 3
    Dragon Warrior (My FAVE RPG of all time)
    Rambo
    Adventures of Bayou Billy
    Skate or Die (another fave)

Several other games too but none were faves of mine. I also still have from the old days Blades of Steel, Ninja Gaiden, Tecmo Bowl so I plan on taking Edmonton to the cup tonight on BofS.

Any of the rest of you still classic game players? What are your faves? Would you have felt the way I did on Friday night when I saw the Nintendo laying there for sale?
    Remember the robot thing that you could buy with that? It was the one that was supposed to provide an opponent for some (maybe all) games. Well we still have one of those here in the basement. Too bad you're so far away or you coulda had it as it has been collecting dust for years.

Come to think of it, I should pull out the old Nintendo system and see if it still works.

And Excitebike was a great game.

Quote Originally Posted by snowdenscold View Post

although for most of those games I can now play on emulator.
    I've gotta figure out how an emulator works so that I can play some old games.

Quote Originally Posted by colchar View Post
    Fortunately, some computer brainiacs have done all the work for you.

Vitual NES is usually the best, but it's down right now.

So in the meantime, try this one. It plays in your browser -- no programs necessary.

(Use your keyboard... X = A button, Z = B button, Enter = start, Ctrl = select.)

Quote Originally Posted by colchar View Post
    There's a lot of emulators out there - just search for whatever people are recommending these days - a couple years ago I just grabbed a bunch (nesterJ, fceu, RockNESX).

Then all you have to do is find the various games - which usually come as a .zip or .nes file. Just load that up in the emulator, configure your key bindings, and you're good to go.

Due to fact that you'll probably be using your keyboard and not a controller - emulators work better for RPG's and other games that don't require lots of finger dexterity.

As a bonus, they also come with a save-state and load-state options, so if you screw something up, you can just immediately have it revert to where you last saved it on emulator - note this can be anywhere, anytime during the game. It's kind of cheating - but it can make some games go much much faster. Oh, and you can also sometimes set the game speeds to be faster, so if you're just walking around having to kill a million mobs in Dragon Warrior, it can go twice as fast - of course the music sounds funky

Quote Originally Posted by prefan21 View Post
    Fortunately, some computer brainiacs have done all the work for you.

Vitual NES is usually the best, but it's down right now.

So in the meantime, try this one. It plays in your browser -- no programs necessary.

(Use your keyboard... X = A button, Z = B button, Enter = start, Ctrl = select.)

Ummm, normally I would say thank you but I just found Gyrus on that site so I'm officially going to flunk out of grad school now. Then again, maybe I should thank you...

I gave away gold at yard sale

Great find BlueDevilJay! I could play Dragon Warrior until my eyes fell out of my head.

My friends and I had a yard sale to raise money for Tsunami victims (we raised over $600 and the funds were matched by my girlfriend's father) and I sold my Sega Dreamcast along with a dozen other games for around $25. The next day my friend that purchased the system called to let me know he found one of the games selling on eBay between $100 - $180. The game; Panzer Dragoon Saga. Anyone else ever play this game? The game had an amazing soundtrack, stellar graphics, and combined RPG with a first-person shooter. I miss it.

You can/will be able to get tons of older games on the Wii Shopping Channel.

As for the old NES, my faves were Zelda, Castlevania, Ninja Gaiden, and Ice Hockey. I also LOVED Speedball (called Klashball on the NES).

I've had problems with the old NES games on wii ware now that I run my wii through a receiver before it gets to my TV. For some reason I can't get any picture.