Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'm hot, nasty, and breathing hard!

We just had a fire drill in the building. I had to walk down.......then up......seven flights of stairs.

Doesn't sound like much but it's warm in Atlanta and I'm wearing a button-down, long-sleeved shirt and pants. Now I just feel gross.

But it got me to thinking. "That's just seven floors."

When they do fire drills in the really tall buildings (40+ floors), do they make people evacuate down the steps from the very top? I guess so. I mean, if it were a real fire they'd have to do it, but wow. What and exercise.

Technically you can use the elevator going back up, and if you were very high up (floor-wise) I suppose you'd all but have to.

Just wondering how often they have these drills in skyscrapers. Must be one helluvan exercise.

-EarlJam

Quote Originally Posted by EarlJam View Post
    Technically you can use the elevator going back up, and if you were very high up (floor-wise) I suppose you'd all but have to.

Just wondering how often they have these drills in skyscrapers. Must be one helluvan exercise.
    If I were on the 40th floor, I'd get to the bottom and go home.

Quote Originally Posted by ugadevil View Post
    If I were on the 40th floor, I'd get to the bottom and go home.
    Awesome.

-EJ

Yeah, they actually do. When I worked for BofA in downtown Charlotte, I had to train in the TransAmerica buildings down in center city, the two tallest buildings in Charlotte, and low and behold, they hold a fire drill on one of the three days I'm there for training. I was on the 64th floor, and we had to go all the way down every flight of stairs, same as if there had been an actual fire. We were allowed to take the elevators back up when let back in, but yeah, I got my exercise that day in a full business suit.

Quote Originally Posted by EarlJam View Post
    We just had a fire drill in the building. I had to walk down.......then up......seven flights of stairs.

Doesn't sound like much but it's warm in Atlanta and I'm wearing a button-down, long-sleeved shirt and pants. Now I just feel gross.

But it got me to thinking. "That's just seven floors."

When they do fire drills in the really tall buildings (40+ floors), do they make people evacuate down the steps from the very top? I guess so. I mean, if it were a real fire they'd have to do it, but wow. What and exercise.

-EarlJam

EJ,

Quite frequently, especially after Sept 11th. I actually walked down 100 floors in February 1993 (first bombing of the WTC). T-G we moved across to the World Financial Center when we moved back downtown in October 1994.

I would suspect that we may be overdoing it here in NYC, but no one wants office workers to be unprepared.

Geography GAME!

It's 3:35 on Tuesday so you all know what THAT means! It's time to play, EarlJam's "Where's that Location!?" quiz!

Today's quiz...

What city (just looking for one city) is located:

-787 miles WNW of Atlanta, GA
    -2,014 miles SE of Seattle, WA

and is...

-705 miles SSW of Minneapolis, MN

First to answer correctly gets a spleenless pony.

-EarlJam

Wichita, Kansas?

Quote Originally Posted by toughbuff1 View Post
    Wichita, Kansas?
    Yeah, I was thinking Oklahoma City or Tulsa, but I think Wichita meets the distance to Minneapolis better.