Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Official press release on James

Duke head coach Mike Krzyzewski announced the addition of Nate James to the coaching staff on Tuesday, May 6. The Washington, D.C., native fills the opening created when associate head coach Johnny Dawkins took the head coaching job at Stanford in late April. James joins the staff as an assistant coach after serving as an assistant strength and conditioning coach last season.

“Nate is a great addition to our staff,” said Krzyzewski. “He was a valuable member of our program as a player and will be an asset as an assistant coach. His maturity, toughness and dedication to Duke will blend well with the current staff we have in place. I look forward to watching Nate develop and prosper in this role.”

James, a 2001 Duke graduate, scored 1,116 career points as a member of the program from 1996-2001. He helped the Blue Devils to a 71-9 ACC regular season record and is the only player in ACC history with five straight regular season conference titles (he redshirted in 1998 after playing in six games). James, a two-time team captain, played on a pair of Final Four teams, including Duke’s 2001 National Championship squad. As a senior, James averaged 12.3 points, 5.2 rebounds and 1.6 steals per game while helping the Blue Devils to a 35-4 record.

James, an All-ACC and ACC All-Defensive team selection in 2001, played professionally in the United States and overseas from 2002-2007. After being named the Carolinas Basketball League Most Valuable Player in 2003, James spent various parts of the next five seasons playing in the Bosnia, Brazil, France, Germany, Greece, Holland, Hungary, Italy, Japan, Philippines, Poland and Russia. He was also with the Philadelphia 76ers during their training camp in 2004.

Krzyzewski also announced assistant coaches Steve Wojciechowski and Chris Collins will be promoted to associate head coaches.

“I am excited about the staff we have put together,“ said Krzyzewski. “Steve [Wojciechowski] and Chris [Collins] are outstanding coaches. They are both well deserving and prepared for their new roles.”

Wojciechowski joined the staff for the 1999-2000 season and has helped Duke to six league titles, the 2001 National Championship and a 261-53 record. Collins has been a member of the staff for the past eight seasons with the Blue Devils compiling a 232-48 record, five ACC Tournament championships, four in-season tournament titles and the 2001 National Championship.
    Last edited by -jk; 05-06-2008 at 11:21 AM. Reason: removed white space

Congrats, Nate!!!

Congrats to Nat and to Wojo and Chris on their promotions!

Interesting that a D.C. guy replaces a D.C. guy.

Wow. I thought maybe Wojo would be named asscociate coach but was totally surprised to hear both Wojo and Collins got the promotion.

That's bigger news than James being named.

Assistants' Salaries?

Anyone have an idea what our assistants are paid? (and, would Wojo and Chris get raises now?)

Will there be a press conference to (re)introduce Nate? Also, on a side note, does anyone know whether Carrawell will remain in his current position, or is he going to take on Nate's previous role?

Quote Originally Posted by K24U View Post
    Wow. I thought maybe Wojo would be named asscociate coach but was totally surprised to hear both Wojo and Collins got the promotion.

That's bigger news than James being named.
    Wojo and Chris joined around the same time and have been peers. To promote one of them and not the other would have been asking for discord amongst the staff.

What gives you the impression that wojo is "above" chris in the hierarchy?

Quote Originally Posted by Devil07 View Post
    Also, on a side note, does anyone know whether Carrawell will remain in his current position, or is he going to take on Nate's previous role?
    Doubftul. Nate was the asst. strength and conditioning coach and Chris, well, let's just say he doesn't take quite as good of care of his body as the badass. Still love you c-well.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Krzyzewski also announced assistant coaches Steve Wojciechowski and Chris Collins will be promoted to associate head coaches.

“I am excited about the staff we have put together,“ said Krzyzewski. “Steve [Wojciechowski] and Chris [Collins] are outstanding coaches. They are both well deserving and prepared for their new roles.”
    I'm assuming this quiets the rumor that one of them might leave to join Coach Dawkins out west.

Quote Originally Posted by Shammrog View Post
    Anyone have an idea what our assistants are paid? (and, would Wojo and Chris get raises now?)
    You don't get a promotion without getting a raise. I would think that some of Johnny's money is being directed to Chris and Wojo, with Nate being (well) paid as a first year assistant coach. If I were AD I'd know, but then couldn't talk about it.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    If I were AD I'd know, but then couldn't talk about it.
    If you were AD, would you continue to post on DBR? If not, we might need to consider other candidates.

Wink Wojo and Collins at Duke

Quote Originally Posted by ugadevil View Post
    I'm assuming this quiets the rumor that one of them might leave to join Coach Dawkins out west.
    Which makes no sense. Duke offers (a) more money, (b) a more visible platform, and (c) a much higher chance of b-ball success.

Stanford is a really good gig for a promising assistant coach. It's just that the Duke staff is a special situation.

sagegrouse
    'Now at least we won't have to hear the canard that point guard Krzyzewski is surrounded on the bench by three PGs who played for him. As Bilas joked in reference to JD, "If you are a point guard, aren't you supposed to pass the ball sometimes?" And Collins a PG, are you kidding me?'

Will Nate be working with a particular position (guards, post players)? Didn't know if the roles would shift since Wojo and Collins are now associate head coaches.

I suppose though I don't think anyone would have actually thought that was gonna happen. We're talking about Coach K here. You don't leave the tutelage of the greatest college coach of the last 25 years to be an assistant somewhere else. No offense to johnny, but it'd be a downgrade...it'd be a downgrade to go anywhere.

Will Nate be working with a particular position (guards, post players)? Didn't know if the roles would shift since Wojo and Collins are now associate head coaches.
    I would imagine wojo would continue to coach the post players and collins would keep working with the guards. Not sure about Nate but I bet his role will evolve as he becomes more immersed with the team.

Nate will be working with potential bad ***es. In fact, I think his official title is Assistant coach for bad*** development.

But on the other hand, how much of a bad*** can you be when during your summer camp at Durham Academy you literally pick up an injured 11 year old, carry him to the sideline, and ice his knee for him? Or get ice water and gatorade for parents in the incredibly hot gym? Or treat each kid, ranging in age from about 8 to 18, as if they were your own little brother? Having had a chance to watch him when my son was at his camp I'd have to say he is about the nicest bad*** you'll ever find.

Bosnia!

I knew that Nata was a badass, but I didn't realize that he had even played in Bosnia. No matter what, I am sure that we will never be outrebounded by 20 again.

Nate in Bosnia

Quote Originally Posted by miramar View Post
    I knew that Nata was a badass, but I didn't realize that he had even played in Bosnia. No matter what, I am sure that we will never be outrebounded by 20 again.
    if i recall correctly, he was joined on the team from Siroki Brijeg (western Bosnia or, technically, Herzegovina) by Greg Newton. Almost got out there to see them play, but got stuck in Sarajevo...

Balkan Boy

Believe me: Nate and Olek Czyz are going to be a match made in heaven. Though we lose Markie, our badass factor could start going up exponentially.

Quote Originally Posted by dkbaseball View Post
    Believe me: Nate and Olek Czyz are going to be a match made in heaven. Though we lose Markie, our badass factor could start going up exponentially.
    Imagine the living hell that Chris Paul would have experienced had Nate been around to coach Patrick Davidson.