Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by hc5duke View Post
    Sorry, I ignored the original question because I don't know for sure, but AFAIK, we had that cheer in the '99-'00 season as well. Before that, I have no clue.
    Yeah, I don't remember that cheer in '97-'98, and I believe that '98-'99 was the year he redshirted. I guess the cheer must have started in '99-'00.

He redshirted in 97-98 (when he apparently started honing his coaching skills, as was suggested at the time.) He has always been a bad pottymouth!pottymouth!pottymouth!.
    Trinity '97, Tent #1 '97
    Tampa

That's fantastic news. One of my Bassett Hall 96-97 boys is now an assistant coach. Awesome.

Just my 2 cents, but Coach Badass rates right up there with Coach Cut.I will not join , I prefer to call him Nate James or Coach James.
    I'm with you. Sorry, but I am not going to refer to one our staff members by the name of "Coach Badass."

I think Coach James will be a wonderful addition and great for recruiting. A very good choice all around, IMO.

big shoes to fill

Big fan of Nate as a player and to replace Wojo or Collins I think he would have been a great choice. But to replace someone with the experience and maturity of Dawkins I would have liked to have seen us been a little more...I lack the word, but I'm apprehensive. But the choice has been made, I'm all for Nate now, and I'm sure it'll work out good. Even if I do continue to call him Nate or Coach James =)

Does anyone have the picture of Nate in the locker room after we won the championship his senior year? I think that would be an extremely appropriate picture for the front page.

When I saw that picture for the first time I thought to myself "this is character. this is what being a player is all about." More than any other that image solidified in my mind the journey the 2001 team took to win the championship.

Of course you were already here but, welcome home, Nate. This team will only be better because of your participation and leadership.

Thumbs up Let's stay with Bad-pottymouth!pottymouth!pottymouth!.

Go Nate!! Congrats. Let's give him his due as a hard-nosed player/defender. Bring it on!! We need some toughness -- and Nate brings that. Cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorp4me View Post
    Big fan of Nate as a player and to replace Wojo or Collins I think he would have been a great choice. But to replace someone with the experience and maturity of Dawkins I would have liked to have seen us been a little more...I lack the word, but I'm apprehensive. But the choice has been made, I'm all for Nate now, and I'm sure it'll work out good. Even if I do continue to call him Nate or Coach James =)
    Just like Elliot Williams cannot be expected to replace Demarcus Nelson by himself, Nate James is not "replacing" Johnny Dawkins per se, since he can't be expected to bring everything to the table (at this stage of his career) that Dawkins did as a coach. Collins and Wojo will take on more responsibility to cover the difference in level of experience.

Nate's energy and personality should help with recruiting...I really hope he gets heavily involved with it.

This is awesome and thanks to info I've obtained from you guys on here, I was able to call this about a week ago, telling my dad that Nate James would be the next assistant coach. My dad and uncle think I have some super secret inside source at Duke now. Thanks for all the information guys! Oh and I have to test the filter because I find the words it replaces with to be hilarious. So go get em Coach Bad pottymouth!pottymouth!pottymouth!!!!

Great News

Quote Originally Posted by El_Diablo View Post
    Just like Elliot Williams cannot be expected to replace Demarcus Nelson by himself, Nate James is not "replacing" Johnny Dawkins per se, since he can't be expected to bring everything to the table (at this stage of his career) that Dawkins did as a coach. Collins and Wojo will take on more responsibility to cover the difference in level of experience.

Nate's energy and personality should help with recruiting...I really hope he gets heavily involved with it.
    Excellent selection with an intelligent guy who also knows basketball thoroughly. We will miss JD but Nate gives us a new perspective, which is needed from time to time.

Nate picture.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Wherever the wind blows and the leaves dance.

Another picture

Welcome Coach. Check out the intensity. Wasn't his father a drill sargent at one point? I think Nate is well grounded and fundamentally sound.

Quote Originally Posted by markbdevil View Post
    Nate picture.
    I love having another coach who earned a ring as a player.

Quote Originally Posted by hc5duke View Post
    hilarious title... gotta love the fact that "badass" passes the filter but the two words separately do not.
    Even if it were blocked by default, it would be appropriate for DBR to remove badass from the blacklist. It's a word which has now entered the permanent Duke lexicon.

Quote Originally Posted by whereinthehellami View Post
    Welcome Coach. Check out the intensity. Wasn't his father a drill sargent at one point? I think Nate is well grounded and fundamentally sound.
    Forget checking out the intensity; check out those guns!

Nate could TOTALLY take Chuck Norris.

Just trying to make out the band on his arm. Is that a W.W.J.D. or a W.W.J.D.D.? In either case, worthy role models, methinks!

Go Duke!!!!! Go Blue Devils!!!!!!!!!! GTHCGTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ash View Post
    Nate could TOTALLY take Chuck Norris.
    Let's not go tooooooooooooooooooooo far!

I do wish we could find a new nickname for him however.

Quote Originally Posted by kinghoops View Post
    wral Tv Reported At 6pm That Nate James Would Be Named New Assistant Coach.
    Luciana Chavez is pretty thorough with stuff like this.

Nate James, a captain on the 2001 NCAA title-winning Duke men's basketball squad, will be named the new assistant coach for the Duke men's basketball team, four sources confirmed for The News & Observer on Monday.

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/c...y/1062423.html

Quote Originally Posted by kramerbr View Post
    I believe he joined the staff as assistant strength and conditioning coach just this last January and before that he was playing overseas.
    This winter, James returned to the Duke program after being hired to oversee operations at the team's new practice facility.
    http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/c...y/1062423.html

Could it possibly be W.W.J.J.D?

And Nate could TOTALLY take Chuck. Unless, of course, you are talking about a Bowflex competition; then it is a close one.