Ken Pomeroy Help - stats help

I am almost sure that we have seen it posted that teams that win NCAA titles are great (say top 10%?) offensive teams and good defensive teams (top 20%?). IE, most NCAA champs are great on O and, while good on D, not necessarily quite as good on D as on O (think UCLA as final four but not National Champs - while Kansas, Florida win titles with their higher scoring games). Can anyone help me find where this was proven ? I think someone had shown this via kenpom or somewhere? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by gofurman View Post
    I am almost sure that we have seen it posted that teams that win NCAA titles are great (say top 10%?) offensive teams and good defensive teams (top 20%?). IE, most NCAA champs are great on O and, while good on D, not necessarily quite as good on D as on O (think UCLA as final four but not National Champs - while Kansas, Florida win titles with their higher scoring games). Can anyone help me find where this was proven ? I think someone had shown this via kenpom or somewhere? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    Ken Pomeroy has stated that since 2004 (when he started keeping the stats) that the NCAA champ has been in the top 12 in both Adjusted Offensive and Adjusted Defensive Efficiency. You can find a statistical primer on his site but his adjusted offensive and defensive efficiencies are basically offensive and defensive points-per-possession adjusted for pace.

His stats page has the data. I know that for most of this year Kansas, UCLA, and Duke were the only teams that matched this description. Looking at the final stats, Memphis' play in the tourney moved them into the club as well. Since Kansas won this year, the streak continues.

You can look at data sets from previous years by clicking on the year in the upper right of the page.

2008 Kansas (AOE 2nd, ADE, 1st)
    2007 Florida (AOE 1st, ADE 12th)
    2006 Florida (AOE 2nd, ADE 5th)
    2005 UNC (AOE 1st, ADE 6th)
    2004 UConn (AOE 6th, ADE 3rd)

Other than 2007 Florida all the champs were top 6 among all teams for both offense and defense. I think his numbers show that you have to be great at both to win it all.