Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Latta6970 View Post
    After reading Devils post, I started to wonder why Ole Miss would have high expectations. I mean I knew they are SEC and Eli Manning Played for them a few years back. But other than being decent or actually good those Eli years I couldn't remember them being all that, at least not to the point to force out a highly recomended coach. So I pulled up the Ole Miss football site and here is their records from 2006-1991.

2006 4-8
    2005 3-8
    2004 4-7
    2003 10-3 Eli's last year
    2002 7-6
    2001 7-4
    2000 7-5
    1999 8-4
    1998 7-5
    1997 8-4
    1996 5-6
    1995 6-5
    1994 4-7
    1993 6-5
    1992 9-3
    1991 5-6

The 2007 year wasn't listed and someone else can fill in what years Coach Cut was there because I couldn't tell you. But that's 9 winning seasons out of fifteen, whether they played in bowls those years I don't know. But at the site I saw where Ole Miss has won two national championships in football (and I don't think these were Helms titles either) before I was ever born. So Ole Miss does have tradition that is greater than Dukes and a person doesn't have to go back quite as far as with Duke to find it. After the post Spurier era, I for one would be content with the next fifteen looking like those records. Of course with winning it breeds expectations and if Coach Cut is successful someone, somewhere is going to be craying he hasn't taken them to the next level.

Head Coaching Record
    Code:

Year	Team	Overall	Conference	Standing	Bowl	Coaches#	AP°	
    Ole Miss Rebels (SEC) (1998 – 2004)								
    1998*	Ole Miss	1–0*	0–0*		       W Independence			
    1999	Ole Miss	8–4	4-4	3rd (West)	W Independence	22	22	
    2000	Ole Miss	5-Jul	4-Apr	3rd (West)	L Music City			
    2001	Ole Miss	7–4	4–4	5th (West)				
    2002	Ole Miss	7-6	3-5	4th (West)	W Independence			
    2003	Ole Miss	10-3	7-1	2nd (West)	W Cotton	14	13	
    2004	Ole Miss	7-Apr	5-Mar	T-3rd (West)				
    Ole Miss:		44–29	25-23	*hired and coached last game of 1998, the Independence Bowl.

Quote Originally Posted by drjcs3 View Post
    I am a lifelong Blue Devil fan and a grad of UT. I saw Coach Cutcliffe in action during his first stint at UT, was happy when he returned and overjoyed when he came to Duke. For any of you who wonder if things will improve, they will. He is a great offensive mind and can recruit too. I am also one of those non-Iron Dukes who is a recent season ticket purchaser. Actually, I bought on the day his hiring was announced. Look forward to more exciting football in WW Stadium. With David Cutcliffe, the days of offensive displays are here again.
    I live in SEC country these days, and have talked to a lot of UT guys. There are two general camps. First are those who hate to see him go, and think he will do a really good job at Duke. Second are those who are glad to see him go, because they want Fulmer fired and Cut was what propped him up the last few years.

Either way, good news for us.

Every interview or quote I have seen from Coach Cut inspires confidence in the future -- near term as well as long term. He has already generated more buzz about our football program than we have had in twenty years.

Give 'em hell, coach!!!! CTH,C!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    I live in SEC country these days, and have talked to a lot of UT guys. There are two general camps. First are those who hate to see him go, and think he will do a really good job at Duke. Second are those who are glad to see him go, because they want Fulmer fired and Cut was what propped him up the last few years.

Either way, good news for us.

Every interview or quote I have seen from Coach Cut inspires confidence in the future -- near term as well as long term. He has already generated more buzz about our football program than we have had in twenty years.

Give 'em hell, coach!!!! CTH,C!!!!!
    I've had an opportunity to hear him speak several times and will do so again this coming Thursday evening. This man knows what it takes to win with class. Those of us who have already purchased our tickets for the coming season are investing in in a football program which is now led by one of the best people to come to Duke in YEARS.

Johnny Vaught won two NC's for Ole Miss in the early 60's, I believe. They were very tough for a number of years in the mid 50's to mid 60's.

Quote Originally Posted by devilirium View Post
    Johnny Vaught won two NC's for Ole Miss in the early 60's, I believe. They were very tough for a number of years in the mid 50's to mid 60's.
    ^ So was Duke. It was a different era.