Where's Jumbo's Summer Phase

Jumbo, I enjoyed your threads on Phase X during the season.

I'm wondering if you'd do the following: pretend you're Coach K (AHA! maybe you aren't really a journalist after all) . . . what are you telling each of the guys to be working on during the summer? I'm thinking particularly of skill sets.

I'd be interested in what you've got to say.

I also remember some of my first posts here were in opposition to some of your thoughts regarding the likelihood of significant improvements in various players during last summer. Now, that was a humbling experience for me.

Anyway, is there any reason to believe that we'll see dramatic improvements? Do we really even need dramatic improvements in order for the team to be hugely successful next year? Personally, I'll be happy with steady incremental improvements . . . and a healthy BZ.

I am not Jumbo, but here's a start to how to break down the summer months:

Phase I: who will declare for the draft? Who will back out before the actual draft? Who will transfer? After that's all sorted out, bickering over pre- pre-season ranks of the ACC and national polls.

Phase II: if you had to pick 5 all-time Duke players to field a team, who would it be? Could anyone put together a team that would beat the team of: Wojo, Wojo, Wojo, Wojo and Wojo (with Wojo coming off the bench)?

Phase III: what was your favorite Duke dunk? Remember that one time that [insert Duke player] dunked over [insert non-Duke player]? That was awesome.

Phase IV: pick-up reports. Horvath sightings.

Phase V: lamentations re recruiting, small ball and use of bench.

Phase VI: predict minutes for players in 08/09 season. Arguments re whether [starter] should be benched in favor of [role player]. Assertions that in-coming freshman will play 30 minutes a game and go for 20/10 in ACC play.

disturbingly accurate.

Not what I had in mind . . . but interesting.

Reminds me of last summer.

phase VII

long lengthy discussions of the strenthgs and/or weaknesses of the upcoming schedule

I thought I did something on one skill for each player to work on over the summer. Did I imagine that? Guess I'll have to search the archive ...

Wait a few more weeks and you can toss in the ever popular "old" unis vs. "new" discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
    I thought I did something on one skill for each player to work on over the summer. Did I imagine that? Guess I'll have to search the archive ...
    I must have tuned out during that time . . . sorry if you have already pontificated on the subject.

When you finish your search of the archive, let me know where I can find it . . . because, oddly, I really am interested in what you've got to say.

You might simply have directed me to your previous post, and left it at that. But no, not you Jumbo. Gotta be the smartass, don't you. You must be proud.

And don't mod yourself . . . let Jason admonish me.

???

Ok, call me stupid . . . my wife does on a daily basis. I'm used to it.

But I searched Jumbo's threads since the end of the season and I can't find the thread you're referring to . . . I don't doubt that you did pontificate, and that the thread is out there, but I'll be darned if I can find it, even after having been told that it's out there.

Can anyone help me find it?

Quote Originally Posted by dw0827 View Post
    You might simply have directed me to your previous post, and left it at that. But no, not you Jumbo. Gotta be the smartass, don't you. You must be proud.

And don't mod yourself . . . let Jason admonish me.
    It appears that you took Jumbo's reply as being sarcastic. I didn't take it that way at all. He's written nearly 2500 posts in just over a year, so I'm guessing that he genuinely doesn't remember exactly what (and when) he may have written regarding what some of the players should work on during the offseason. I just assumed that Jumbo is planning to research it as time permits and will provide the link when he finds it. Be patient.

uh . . . say what?

You are exactly right . . . I took Jumbo's reply as being sarcastic.

However, I will take your advice. I look forward to Jumbo's research as time permits so that he can provide the link when he finds it and I will be patient.

Quote Originally Posted by dw0827 View Post
    You are exactly right . . . I took Jumbo's reply as being sarcastic.

However, I will take your advice. I look forward to Jumbo's research as time permits so that he can provide the link when he finds it and I will be patient.
    Micah75 was right. I wasn't being sarcastic at all. I seriously forgot whether I ever wrote about a "summer phase." I had remembered someone bringing it up and thinking about it. Turns out someone asked about this almost exactly a month ago. I said I'd get around to it ... and apparently I never did. I can't say I've been doing any research, but I'll be glad to post something if I get some time tomorrow. One thing we never decided on is what to call it. It's not really Phase VII or VIII or whatever for this past season, but I don't want to make it Phase I for next season (even though it really is). How about Phase ZZZ? After all, the stuff will all happen without our ability to watch, so it's as if we're asleep ...

I just now did an advanced search through Jumbo's posts and this was all I could find: https://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?p=124667. I'm guessing the reason Jumbo didn't remember this topic so well was because he was just adding a few minor points to CDu's post.

How about Phase ZZZ?
    That sounds great! Especially if you include detailed commentary on Zoubek. We need him to get healthy and have a great summer developing into a 12-14 points per game player.
    Bob Green

Phase whatever

Micah75 was right. I wasn't being sarcastic at all. I seriously forgot whether I ever wrote about a "summer phase." I had remembered someone bringing it up and thinking about it. Turns out someone asked about this almost exactly a month ago. I said I'd get around to it ... and apparently I never did. I can't say I've been doing any research, but I'll be glad to post something if I get some time tomorrow. One thing we never decided on is what to call it. It's not really Phase VII or VIII or whatever for this past season, but I don't want to make it Phase I for next season (even though it really is). How about Phase ZZZ? After all, the stuff will all happen without our ability to watch, so it's as if we're asleep ...
    I was the one who suggested the subject about a month or so ago(gee, it's nice to be remembered ). I think/hope we all benefitted significantly from Phases I-V(or how many ever) throughout the season and I thought some spring/summer analyses would be fun and educational, assuming Jumbo has the time and inclination to work on this endeavor. I read the EK board ALL the time(WAYYY too much according to Mrs. Devildeac) and I did not recall any post-season musings either.

Well, if you weren't being sarcastic, then I owe you an apology. I forget that this is the kinder and gentler Jumbo these days . . . not the irascible, sarcastic, grumpy old crab that you once were.