Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Turtleboy View Post
    How about 4? Henry Iba. Phil Woolpert. Adolph Rupp. Ed Jucker.
    You are correct..I was thinking more about recent times and how Donovan rates with current coaches. Basketball was totally different when Iba, Woolpert ,Rupp and Jucker were coaching. It was probably different when Wooden was also but my point is that Donovan, today, is one of the best college coaches.

Quote Originally Posted by NYC Duke Fan View Post
    You are joking aren't you ? " Billy Donovan is only a decent coach ". Name another coach not named Coach K or John Wooden who has won back to back NCAA championships?

Right now Donovan is right up there with Coach K, Jim Calhoun, Roy Williams, Tom Izzo, Rick Pittino, and possibly Bill Self as being the best college basketball coaches.
    How many coaches could win back-to-back with:

Al Horford
    Joakim Noah
    Corey Brewer
    Marreese Speights
    Taurean Green
    Lee Humphrey
    Chris Richard

That is 4 NBA players, 2 Euro League players, and a D-league player.

That is great recruiting, not necessarily great coaching.

His streak of NIT appearances proves Donovan is NOT up there with Coach K, Jim Calhoun, Roy Williams, Tom Izzo, Rick Pittino, or Bill Self.

"Name another coach not named Coach K or John Wooden who has won back to back NCAA championships?"

Hank Iba, Adolph Rupp, Phil Woolpert, Ed Jucker.

Half of that list consists of coaching immortals.

The other half? Not so much.

Donovan's recruiting

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post

Al Horford
    Joakim Noah
    Corey Brewer
    Marreese Speights
    Taurean Green
    Lee Humphrey
    Chris Richard

His streak of NIT appearances proves Donovan is NOT up there with Coach K, Jim Calhoun, Roy Williams, Tom Izzo, Rick Pittino, or Bill Self.
    I don't know if that was great recruiting or if Donovan was just very fortunate. IIRC, the Horford, Brewer, Noah, and Green class was ranked #12 by Rivals, so nobody expected them to do that much. In fact, not one of those players was ranked in the top 30:

http://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/viewrank.asp

We could argue that Donovan knew something no one else did or that he is great at player development, but his recent results suggest otherwise. No matter what, one of my daughters was at UF at the time, and it was a really fun team to watch. Not to mention that the players were articulate and funny, so they were really great for the school and for college basketball in general.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post

Al Horford
    Joakim Noah
    Corey Brewer
    Marreese Speights
    Taurean Green
    Lee Humphrey
    Chris Richard

A better comparison for Donovan is probably Maryland coach Gary Williams. He had great success with one particular group of players, and otherwise has done well generally, but not been consistent.

Back to the original thread topic, I've not seen anything new on Marshall's recruiting situation. Hope he decides on Duke.
    Last edited by roywhite; 10-27-2009 at 09:50 AM. Reason: back to topic if poss.

So confused

Isn't this the Marshall Plumlee thread?

Quote Originally Posted by chrisheery View Post
    Isn't this the Marshall Plumlee thread?
    Whose wingspan is 9'6" !

These Plumlees are like salted peanuts. You try one, then two, and before you know it, you are craving them by the case. Calling Marcus, Milton, Myron, and Michael Plumlee....

Don't forget Mary for Coach P

I think we would NEED Marshall, If we don't get him then we are left with His two brothers and Josh Hairston for being our Big Man. That's not a real problem but it would be nice to have a fourth post man.

Quote Originally Posted by dukefanbrooklyn View Post
    I think we would NEED Marshall, If we don't get him then we are left with His two brothers and Josh Hairston for being our Big Man. That's not a real problem but it would be nice to have a fourth post man.
    We'll have Ryan Kelly as well.

But, I totally agree that we need a center from the class of 2011, whether it is Marshall or someone else. In what would be Marshall's freshman year, Mason would be starting his junior year and Miles would be a senior. I'm not totally sure that Mason or Miles will be around at that point.

Yea so of them could possibly leave ealier although i hope not. I don't know but until Ryan get's bigger i don't really see him as a true post player. He can play the four but he would be on the peritmeter if he doesn't get bigger. Nice Three point stroke though.

Are these guys like the Lopez (twins) brothers at Stanford?

Quote Originally Posted by FireOgilvie View Post
    We'll have Ryan Kelly as well.

But, I totally agree that we need a center from the class of 2011, whether it is Marshall or someone else. In what would be Marshall's freshman year, Mason would be starting his junior year and Miles would be a senior. I'm not totally sure that Mason or Miles will be around at that point.
    Hi,

I haven't heard where any of the Plumlee kids have talked about leaving early. Are you conjecturing that they could if they get better or have you read something where there is a link?

GO DUKE!

Quote Originally Posted by Kewlswim View Post
    Hi,

I haven't heard where any of the Plumlee kids have talked about leaving early. Are you conjecturing that they could if they get better or have you read something where there is a link?

GO DUKE!
    I haven't heard anything. I'm sure that both of them are totally focused on Duke at this point as they should be. But historically, NBA scouts go crazy over prospects with the kind of speed and athleticism the Plumlees have for their size. Miles already has a vertical higher than anyone near his size in the NBA Draft Combine the last several years. I would guess that if Mason averaged around 8 points and 6 rebounds this year (or higher), he could go in the first round of the draft if he decided to enter; maybe even the lottery, depending on who comes out. It would obviously be really early and it most likely won't happen, especially after one year, but you never know. Based on what I think his pro prospects are, I would say there is a very solid chance that Mason doesn't stay 4 years. The same goes for Miles, but he doesn't have quite the hype that Mason already does, so I'm guessing he'll more than likely be here for all four. Basically, you never know what will happen, although I would love it if both of them stayed as long as possible.

For these reasons, I think it's definitely in Duke's best interest to pick up a center in 2011 (although I don't know of any possible targets outside of Marshall at this time).

Quote Originally Posted by dukefanbrooklyn View Post
    We are also recruiting Quincy Miller in the class of 2011. He's listed as a 3/4

http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75...=1&nid=3959638

Quote Originally Posted by jesus_hurley View Post
    We are also recruiting Quincy Miller in the class of 2011. He's listed as a 3/4

http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75...=1&nid=3959638
    From everything I've read, Quincy really likes Duke and the feeling is mutual. Hopefully, the issues with Clifton won't affect his eligibility. I think a lot of people are sleeping on Josh Hairston too. He could be a great player for us. IIRC, he's the 18th ranked PF in the '10 class after playing at a small school and not getting much exposure. He's now transferred to Montrose Christian and I'm interested to see how he's rated after this year in a bigger spotlight.

Back to MP3, I think he can be a great talent as he grows into his body. He's already visited Duke twice this offseason so there's definitely interest there too. I'd love to see a class of Rivers, Miller, Plumlee, and maybe one more if there's room in '11.

In terms of kids projected as centers (as opposed to 3s or 4s who could play the post if needed), MP3 is apparently the only '11 guy on Duke's list.

That said, the whole 5 position thing is kind of being replaced by K with a "Big" and "Small" understanding. But if the opposing team has a 6-11, 260# hoss, having three guys who are 6-8 and 220# presents defensive problems.

So, yes, MP3 would be a good get, especially if MP1 or MP2 might go early.

Quote Originally Posted by CEF1959 View Post
    In terms of kids projected as centers (as opposed to 3s or 4s who could play the post if needed), MP3 is apparently the only '11 guy on Duke's list.

That said, the whole 5 position thing is kind of being replaced by K with a "Big" and "Small" understanding. But if the opposing team has a 6-11, 260# hoss, having three guys who are 6-8 and 220# presents defensive problems.

So, yes, MP3 would be a good get, especially if MP1 or MP2 might go early.
    As he stands now, MP3 would not be able to hold his own against a guy that big but honestly there aren't too many of them in CBB. Obviously, MP3 is still young and has time to grow so, I agree he'll be a big get as he bulks up.

I guess you are an optimist

Quote Originally Posted by FireOgilvie View Post
    I haven't heard anything. I'm sure that both of them are totally focused on Duke at this point as they should be. But historically, NBA scouts go crazy over prospects with the kind of speed and athleticism the Plumlees have for their size. Miles already has a vertical higher than anyone near his size in the NBA Draft Combine the last several years. I would guess that if Mason averaged around 8 points and 6 rebounds this year (or higher), he could go in the first round of the draft if he decided to enter; maybe even the lottery, depending on who comes out. It would obviously be really early and it most likely won't happen, especially after one year, but you never know. Based on what I think his pro prospects are, I would say there is a very solid chance that Mason doesn't stay 4 years. The same goes for Miles, but he doesn't have quite the hype that Mason already does, so I'm guessing he'll more than likely be here for all four. Basically, you never know what will happen, although I would love it if both of them stayed as long as possible.

For these reasons, I think it's definitely in Duke's best interest to pick up a center in 2011 (although I don't know of any possible targets outside of Marshall at this time).
    You do realize that Miles barely played last year? And know you're worried about him going pro early? It's possible, of course, and I certainly don't think anyone is ruling it out, but it doesn't seem very likely.

Relax David Stern

MChambers brings up a very good point that's applicable to Marshall Plumlee as well.
    MP3 might prove to be a great college player, and if we've offered him I'm completely happy about that.
    But in 40+ years of following Duke recruiting, I can't think of another guy who got a Duke offer after scoring only three points per game in his previous high school year. Three: as in one, two...
    Sure, I know he didn't play much, so I'm not worried about it, but I think I'd lay off the NBA talk for any Plumlees at this point.