Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Marshall Plumlee

This maybe way to early to start talking about this kid but we all know that it's going to be brought up sometime. What do you all think. He joins his brothers at Duke? Or takes his abilities to another school?

Quote Originally Posted by Blueequalslife23 View Post
    This maybe way to early to start talking about this kid but we all know that it's going to be brought up sometime. What do you all think. He joins his brothers at Duke? Or takes his abilities to another school?
    It is WAY too early. He is a high school freshman. Had you even started thinking about college at that age? I know he's an elite basketball player, but what's the point in speculating about a decision he won't have to make for quite a long time?

I think he's actually a rising junior (class of 2010). So he would be closer to reaching the serious evaluation/commitment stage for a HS baller...

Quote Originally Posted by Ignatius07 View Post
    I think he's actually a rising junior (class of 2010). So he would be closer to reaching the serious evaluation/commitment stage for a HS baller...
    2011. He's going to be a sophomore. He probably doesn't have his driver's license.

Quote Originally Posted by FireOgilvie View Post
    2011. He's going to be a sophomore. He probably doesn't have his driver's license.
    Yup. As I said, he's still finishing his freshman year in school.

Is there something that you know that I do not when you say join his ,"BROTHERS", at Duke ? I thought Duke at this time is only getting one brother.

Mile and Mason

Quote Originally Posted by NYC Duke Fan View Post
    Is there something that you know that I do not when you say join his ,"BROTHERS", at Duke ? I thought Duke at this time is only getting one brother.
    Read the boards! Read the main page! Miles committed to Duke today and will be eligible in the fall (or so I've been told by trustworthy sources.) Mason will enroll the following fall.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    Read the boards! Read the main page! Miles committed to Duke today and will be eligible in the fall (or so I've been told by trustworthy sources.) Mason will enroll the following fall.
    Haha, seriously - there was probably a thread answering your question directly above the one you posted on.

Marshall being a freshman (thanks for the correction), I then agree it's way too early to be worrying about it. It's nice to know, however, that Duke will likely be among his top choices automatically.

Quote Originally Posted by Ignatius07 View Post
    Marshall being a freshman (thanks for the correction), I then agree it's way too early to be worrying about it. It's nice to know, however, that Duke will likely be among his top choices automatically.

If Marshall were to come to Duke also, and if all three turn out to be good or very good players (large assumptions, granted):

Can you imagine how annoyed opposing fans will be?

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    If Marshall were to come to Duke also, and if all three turn out to be good or very good players (large assumptions, granted):

Can you imagine how annoyed opposing fans will be?
    Especially Carolina fans seeing as the family preferred Carolina but Roy took other 2009 kids and now the family would appear to be huge Duke fans

--Jason "Miles, Mason, and Marshall... oh my!" Evans

It's too early

But I have heard that he is the second coming of Patrick Davidson.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
    It is WAY too early. He is a high school freshman. Had you even started thinking about college at that age? I know he's an elite basketball player, but what's the point in speculating about a decision he won't have to make for quite a long time?
    My only question on him is that the paper listed him at 6-10 also. Are all three boys really 6-10? What are the odds of that?

There is a third Plumlee son playing at Christ School, 6-10 Marshall.
    http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/c...y/1057947.html

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedawg View Post
    My only question on him is that the paper listed him at 6-10 also. Are all three boys really 6-10? What are the odds of that?
    The Hummer brothers who played for Princeton in the mid 60s, one of whose sons started for powerhouse Gonzaga in the DC area Catholic league, which won the city championship this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
    You know what Jumbo, i usually don't disagree with you but this time i do. Maybe this is Duke's problem look at Carolina they got top recruits coming for the next 3 years. Kentucky yesterday signed a 8TH GRADER!! Take the talented players off the board quick so colleges don't come calling. Marshall is a talented player. We all know coach K's strategy he doesn't offer to youngsters so maybe a switch in recruiting strategy could do some good.

You know what Jumbo, i usually don't disagree with you but this time i do. Maybe this is Duke's problem look at Carolina they got top recruits coming for the next 3 years. Kentucky yesterday signed a 8TH GRADER!! Take the talented players off the board quick so colleges don't come calling. Marshall is a talented player. We all know coach K's strategy he doesn't offer to youngsters so maybe a switch in recruiting strategy could do some good.
    just a correction - UK did not sign anyone. They got a verbal from an 8th grader - similar to the verbal that TK gave UCLA when he was in 8/9 grade, and the one OJ Mayo gave UK in 8th grade (I think). It is meaningless.
    My Quick Smells Like French Toast.

the story itself made it clear how ridiculous the 8th grader thing is, the kid doesn't even know where he's going to HS yet, but he's committed to UK. Silly stuff...

We're a program that prides itself on character right? Lets wait and see what type of people these guys develop into, students, athletes and personalities. UNC is gambling, taking players as early as they do in my opinion. We'll see though...

(also surely it leads to some level of complacency/big-headedness if you've commited to UK as an 8th grader right? I lmean would you keep working your butt off to the same level if you've had it handed to you like that? Just speculating but that might have been part of TKs issue, he's had people telling him he's good since he was in middle school, and thus didn't feel the need to care about things like getting in shape...)

Clemson had four Mahaffey brothers who pretty much bracketed the '60s and they were all within about an inch of each other, 6'7", 6'8."

As far as Marshall is concerned, I hope the Duke fan base will give him the time and space to grow and develop without putting too much pressure on him too soon. There are no guarantees. Both Danny Hurley and Jason Capel elected to go their own way in part to avoid the expectations set by their brothers.

Personally, I think it's pretty abhorrent to start recruiting 8th and 9th graders. These are kids, and need time and room to grow. They need to be protected. For college coaches to come at them, trying to woo them, at age 13 or 14, opens a pandora's box of potential problems. I hope Duke continues to stay away from any strategy of "getting 'em young."

Quote Originally Posted by davekay1971 View Post
    Personally, I think it's pretty abhorrent to start recruiting 8th and 9th graders. These. are kids, and need time and room to grow. They need to be protected. For college coaches to come at them, trying to woo them, at age 13 or 14, opens a pandora's box of potential problems. I hope Duke continues to stay away from any strategy of "getting 'em young."
    Meh. My wife's god-kid has been playing the AAU circuit for years. He got his first letters when he was 11. The system is so broken; there is so much money. I'm afraid that bus has left the station.

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    Meh. My wife's god-kid has been playing the AAU circuit for years. He got his first letters when he was 11. The system is so broken; there is so much money. I'm afraid that bus has left the station.

-jk
    Yah, boy, with my ability to spot a problem years after it's begun, I should go into politics. I could point out that social security and the medical system may be in need of reform, then alert America that some terrorists don't like us very much.