Ymm Food Network!

We're due for a new Ymmm Food thread. Who's a fan of the Food Network? Aside from watching sports, this is the other main channel I'll watch. I was wondering if there were other Food Network junkies on here. If so, who do you most like to watch? My favorite would have be Bobby Flay, and I could watch Throwdown all day. Also, I love the type of food Paula Dean makes. However, they've taken her over the top with the Queen of the South persona. Last, whenever Iron Chef is on, I can't seem to turn away...even if I have no idea what they're cooking. And I'm always up for a good Ace of Cakes.

Has anyone had a chance to eat at the restaurants these chefs have? I know many of you have been to The Lady and Sons, but what about all the other places?

Quote Originally Posted by ugadevil View Post
    We're due for a new Ymmm Food thread. Who's a fan of the Food Network? Aside from watching sports, this is the other main channel I'll watch. I was wondering if there were other Food Network junkies on here. If so, who do you most like to watch? My favorite would have be Bobby Flay, and I could watch Throwdown all day. Also, I love the type of food Paula Dean makes. However, they've taken her over the top with the Queen of the South persona. Last, whenever Iron Chef is on, I can't seem to turn away...even if I have no idea what they're cooking. And I'm always up for a good Ace of Cakes.

Has anyone had a chance to eat at the restaurants these chefs have? I know many of you have been to The Lady and Sons, but what about all the other places?
    Love me some Food Network, but not nearly as much as my wife and mom do. They are borderline obsessive.

I think I've mentioned elsewhere that anything with Alton Brown is the best thing on the Food Network. Iron Chef, Good Eats, his traveling road show -- all culinary and nerdly genius. Love it.

Not as much a fan of the Flay, but I do like his restaurants.

If you like the Food Network, you should watch Bizarre Foods with Andrew Zimmern on the Travel Channel. That is a great show.

Does the Food Network ever show the old Japanese Iron chef? The American version is fine but it has about 10% of the character of the original.

AB, etc.

I will certainly second the vote for all things Alton. Though I watched some FoodTV before I caught on to Good Eats, there is no way I would have had the confidence to start cooking and entertaining without that show. (Incidentally, a great resource in this regard is the Good Eats Fan Page, which includes transcripts of each episode.)

Recently I have moved away from the Food Network and gravitated towards some of the PBS shows, mostly America's Test Kitchen (which I recommend as highly as Good Eats) and Everyday Food.

I have also just started DVR'ing Rick Bayless's show Mexico: One Plate at a Time, which I recommend - his banter with his daughter on the two episodes I've seen actually works for me, much better than most shows with more than one "host" or with a "helper" (think How to Boil Water, or the old Bobby Flay show). Okay, so the jokes are a little cheesy - I don't know, I guess it reminds me of baking cookies with my dad as a kid.

Food Network HD

Food Network HD was fantastic when it was a separate channel and only showed HD programs. However, since the end of March it's been a simulcast of the SD Food Network and the stretch SD programs are too much to take (especially old reruns of Good Eats, when I know that the newer Good Eats in HD are so good)

I've had to quit watching it.

Quote Originally Posted by billybreen View Post
    Love me some Food Network, but not nearly as much as my wife and mom do. They are borderline obsessive.

I think I've mentioned elsewhere that anything with Alton Brown is the best thing on the Food Network. Iron Chef, Good Eats, his traveling road show -- all culinary and nerdly genius. Love it.

Not as much a fan of the Flay, but I do like his restaurants.
    I'm proud to say that Alton Brown is a graduate of the University of Georgia. He dropped out when he was here, but returned to complete his degree a few years ago.

Thumbs up Molto Mario!

Quote Originally Posted by ugadevil View Post
    I'm proud to say that Alton Brown is a graduate of the University of Georgia. He dropped out when he was here, but returned to complete his degree a few years ago.
    During my middle-of-the-night insomnia, I will see an episode of the original Iron Chef from time-to-time. Having said that, the episodes are now almost ten years old, so they are getting a bit old. I do, however, like the one episode when the Japanese musical artist, Korn, appeared as a judge.

Most of the places AB shoots for his Good Eats are here in North Fulton/Cobb County. Harry's Market is a great place to shop.

For the record, I prefer Giada (former anthropology major).

The one I CANNOT stand is Paula Dean.
    Cheers,
    Lavabe

Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post
    During my middle-of-the-night insomnia, I will see an episode of the original Iron Chef from time-to-time. Having said that, the episodes are now almost ten years old, so they are getting a bit old. I do, however, like the one episode when the Japanese musical artist, Korn, appeared as a judge.

Most of the places AB shoots for his Good Eats are here in North Fulton/Cobb County. Harry's Market is a great place to shop.

I swear Giada has had a head transplant. That thing just doesn't fit her body.

foodie

Count me as a big fan of the Food Network.

I prefer the recipe shows to things like Ace of Cakes and Throwdown.

I'd also rate Alton Brown No. 1 ... Emerl No. 2 ... Tyler Florence No. 3 and Giada No. 4 (you know her father is the famous film producer, right?), Rachael Ray No. 5 (she can be annoying, but I love her 30-minute meals) and Bobby Flay No. 6. I've copied and used quite a few of their recipes.

Not as big a fan of Paula Dean or Robin Miller or Guy What's-His-Name. Don't like the show with Paula's two sons on the road.

BTW, if you like Food Network, anybody watch Hell's Kitchen on Fox?

My TV, for the most part, is on one of two channels ESPN or Food Network. I love Iron Chef and Ace of Cakes. I'm also a fan of Guy Fieri's Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives.

As far as the recipe shows I think I like the food that Paula Dean and Rachael Ray make the best but they are kind of high on the annoying scale. Tyler Florence would probably be my favorite.

Just out of curiosity, what's your favorite dish you've made where you got the recipe from a Food Network show?

Quote Originally Posted by kmspeaks View Post
    My TV, for the most part, is on one of two channels ESPN or Food Network. I love Iron Chef and Ace of Cakes. I'm also a fan of Guy Fieri's Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives.

As far as the recipe shows I think I like the food that Paula Dean and Rachael Ray make the best but they are kind of high on the annoying scale. Tyler Florence would probably be my favorite.

Just out of curiosity, what's your favorite dish you've made where you got the recipe from a Food Network show?

I LOVE Diners, Drive-Ins, & Dives. I always try and think of the places I've been to that would make it on that show.

My favorite recipe I've made is Spaghetti and Meatballs from Barefoot Contessa. The spaghetti was easy, but the meatballs and sauce were great!

Wink What's the deal...

What's the deal with all the close-up shots of cooks washing their hands?
    What's the deal with Elie Krieger going MMMMMMMmmmmmm?
    What's the deal with Dinner Impossible? Has he ever NOT done the job?

BBreen: Yes, Giada's head is disproportionate to her body. But she cooks interesting food.

Cheers,
    Lavabe

Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post

The one I CANNOT stand is Paula Dean.
    Yes and yes.

Although I think Anthony Bourdain's No Reservations on the travel channel has them both beat. If you've never read Kitchen Confidential I highly recommend it. As long as you have a strong stomach and are not offended by deviant behavior.

After watching Food Network tonight, I believe I saw a case of separated at birth.