Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Waterloo, Ontario (unfortunately, no longer in London England).
    Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Duke has plenty of serious and qualified candidates for JD's old job. Enough we don't have to visit Fantasy Island with a wish list.
    But its the off-season...what else are we going to do with our time?

Quote Originally Posted by colchar View Post
    Well, we know you have to work on your dissertation. I have to play golf and swim.

Quote Originally Posted by colchar View Post
    He's right. Some of the names that have been coming up are ridiculous. We could spend our time on at least mildly intelligent musings.

Intelligence is overrated!!

Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post
    He's right. Some of the names that have been coming up are ridiculous. We could spend our time on at least mildly intelligent musings.
    Nah, that's too much work. Since Walton and Bilas are too in love with themselves on TV, I'll nominate Billy King: coaching experience, NBA connections, proven winner, not much going on right now...

What's not to like?

Quote Originally Posted by drjcs3 View Post
    I was not intending to suggest that Kareem or Patrick would want a full time assistant's job, but even a few days of their knowledge would be helpful. Of course, having the post players (plural) would be a prerequisite.

Getting back to realistic possibilities is OK, but it's occasionally nice to dream...
    The overwhelming evidence out there is that being a great player is irrelevant when it comes to being a great coach.

So why do people persistently think otherwise?

Quote Originally Posted by gvtucker View Post
    The overwhelming evidence out there is that being a great player is irrelevant when it comes to being a great coach.

So why do people persistently think otherwise?
    Because of how awesome Magic was as the Laker's head coach?

Because of how awesome Magic was as the Laker's head coach?
    Or Thomas' stellar career on the bench?

Waterloo, Ontario (unfortunately, no longer in London England).
    Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Well, we know you have to work on your dissertation.
    Not yet I don't...I have to travel to Britain for research first. Then the writing phase will commence. But let's not talk about that. Ever.

Oh, yeah, and one other thing...there is also overwhelming evidence that a coach's height and position he played in college is irrelevant when it comes to that coach's ability with big men.

Oh, yeah, and one other thing...there is also overwhelming evidence that a coach's height and position he played in college is irrelevant when it comes to that coach's ability with big men.
    Really? I'd love to hear more about this. I'm not being sarcastic either. It would be really interesting to know the height and former position of big men coaches at places that have historically had really good big guys, ie UConn, Georgetown, UNC, Cincinnati under Hugs, Kansas under Roy, maybe UK under Tubby, etc.

I don't even know if those programs have designated "big men coaches".

Why not Bill Russell? Or Bill Walton? What's Nate Thurmond doing these days? Or Jerry Lucas? Lefty Driesell was a pretty good big man coach in his time and he's a Duke grad.
    I heard Jesus was a monster at the 4-spot (and won the sportsmanship award a bunch too). Maybe he is looking? Also, any news on whether or not the great greek warrior Ajax is still looking for a coaching position... you can't teach size right?

Really? I'd love to hear more about this. I'm not being sarcastic either. It would be really interesting to know the height and former position of big men coaches at places that have historically had really good big guys, ie UConn, Georgetown, UNC, Cincinnati under Hugs, Kansas under Roy, maybe UK under Tubby, etc.

I don't even know if those programs have designated "big men coaches".
    Start with Pete Newell, the man that runs the big man camp. I had the good fortune to meet him last fall. We looked eye to eye, and I'm just a bit over 6'.

The best big man coach when I was a kid was John Wooden, a point guard.

For years, UNC was famous for the development of their big men. The big man coach for practically Dean Smith's entire tenure was Bill Guthridge, a guard.

I'm not sure who on the UConn staff is responsible for big men, but the two guys that have been there for a while are both point guards.

I'm not sure whether Bob Huggins or Andy Kennedy had responsibility for the big men at Cincinnati. No matter, both were guards.

Regarding the other two teams you reference, UK under Tubby and Kansas under Roy, I'm not sure who the assistants were or what the responsiblities were.

Yes, John Thompson had a great rep as a big man coach, and he was indeed a post player, and a pretty darn good one. So I guess you can't make the argument that height is inversely proportion to ability to coach big men.

More seriously

Where is Tony Lang these days? I know he played overseas for awhile. What a great guy and I will never forget how he went to the floor after "the shot".

Quote Originally Posted by BlueintheFace View Post
    I heard Jesus was a monster at the 4-spot (and won the sportsmanship award a bunch too).
    Not true, Jesus Shuttlesworth was a 2 guard.

I suppose you could move up the chain and see if God is willing to give up his current hoops career.

Exclamation The List

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Lighten up Francis.

Sorry if we have wasted your precious time or offended your sensibilities.

Please provide us with the list of "serious and qualified candidates" so that we may proceed with "at least mildly intelligent musings."
    Serious and Qualified Candidates for the Assistant Coach Position at Duke

Nate James
    Chris Spatoli (sp?)
    Chris Carrawell
    Jason Williams
    Daniel Ewing
    Sean Dockery
    Roshod McClod
    Trajan Langdon
    Lee Melchioni
    Shelden Williams
    Nick Horvath
    Jesus
    Ajax
    Horace Grant
    Harvey Grant
    John Malcovich
    Dean Smith
    myself (Francis)

I know a couple of these guys are playing professionally, but you never know if they'd rather cut their pro career short to take a spot on Duke's bench now when the opportunity is available (see: Wojo).

Some of the credible names made public are

Nate James
    Jason Williams
    Chris Carrawell
    Roshown McLeod
    Vince Taylor
    David Henderson

There are some not made widely public. Don't ask.

Given his administrative experience AD would make more sense for Billy King than would an assistant coach's job.

Start with Pete Newell, the man that runs the big man camp. I had the good fortune to meet him last fall. We looked eye to eye, and I'm just a bit over 6'.

The best big man coach when I was a kid was John Wooden, a point guard.

For years, UNC was famous for the development of their big men. The big man coach for practically Dean Smith's entire tenure was Bill Guthridge, a guard.

I'm not sure who on the UConn staff is responsible for big men, but the two guys that have been there for a while are both point guards.

I'm not sure whether Bob Huggins or Andy Kennedy had responsibility for the big men at Cincinnati. No matter, both were guards.

Regarding the other two teams you reference, UK under Tubby and Kansas under Roy, I'm not sure who the assistants were or what the responsiblities were.

Yes, John Thompson had a great rep as a big man coach, and he was indeed a post player, and a pretty darn good one. So I guess you can't make the argument that height is inversely proportion to ability to coach big men.

Thanks, great post.

On the same note as John Thompson, and with regards to Jim Sumner's list, what about Laettner? He said on the radio interview that someone posted on Selection Sunday this year that he wants to get into coaching. He seems like a legitimate candidate. He involved in a lot of business stuff, so it looks unlikely, but he did say that he wants to get into coaching. Maybe it would take a head job to get him to change his current focus though.

King for AD

Nate James
    Jason Williams
    Chris Carrawell
    Roshown McLeod
    Vince Taylor
    David Henderson

Given his administrative experience AD would make more sense for Billy King than would an assistant coach's job.
    He'd be great! He's smart, media savvy, and truly does care about more sports than just basketball. Heck, even his free throws were more like shotputs.

Nate James
    Jason Williams
    Chris Carrawell
    Roshown McLeod
    Vince Taylor
    David Henderson

While I don't have any idea how these guys got along with K, the above post makes a lot of sense. Not only are they all former players who played with heart, they're African-American. If Duke should pick, say, Laettner or Hurley to fill Dawkins's spot, our bench might not look very inviting to some of the players we recruit.

It would be really interesting to know the height and former position of big men coaches at places that have historically had really good big guys, ie UConn, Georgetown, UNC, Cincinnati under Hugs, Kansas under Roy, maybe UK under Tubby, etc.
    Coach Krzyzewski, 6'0", Duke University, see: Ferry, D; Laettner, C; Parks, C; Abdelnaby, A; Brand, E; Boozer, C; Williams, S; Randolph, S; McRoberts, J. Except for one year of Jay Bilas, the tallest assistant has been Johnny D at 6'3"???

This has been discussed ad infinitum about a big man coaching big men. THE big man coach, the standard by which all others are judged, Pete Newell, is 6' 2".

http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/...ell#post124838

Wojo has participated as a coach at Pete Newell's Big Man camp to learn how to better coach big men.