Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Inonehand View Post
    She posts because she is just like the rest of us, we care. Opinions aren't knowledge. Some are simply more informed than others.
    And some think they are more informed than others.

???

Quote Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
    If you think you don't know anything, why would you post your opinions anyway for all the world to see? I don't get it...
    Do any of really KNOW who the next assistant will be, so by your standard this whole thread is irrelevant? As is one about who will start next year? How many wins Coach K will have when we retires? Who we will sign in '09? The list goes on and on.....I agree, lighten up.

Smile For my money, I like Ewing

Jarvis would be an incredible hire for Duke. I doubt he would actually take a job as a college assistant, as this is a guy who has been considered for a head coaching position in the NBA. I love the idea though.

D'Antoni would probably not take a job as a college assistant. He can afford to wait until the right job opens up in the pros, and spend his down time with the Olympic team and maybe some broadcasting.

I wouldn't mind seeing Daniel Ewing on the bench if he's interested. He played alongside TJ Ford in high school, and alongside Jason Williams and Chris Duhon in college. At Duke he played 3 positions (sort of played point guard his senior year) and he spent some time in the pros. He had a really excellent all around package of skills: he could shoot, handle, pass, drive, and I thought he was a really good leader his senior year. Ewing is from Texas, and I'm sure he's remembered back there for his part in the afore mentioned somewhat legendary backcourt, which could be great for recruiting.

From his job title, I think that Nate is good right where he is. It would be nice if Ewing had a little more name recognition, but he's the one that comes to my mind when I think of non-current NBA guys from the past 20 years that might be interested in coaching.

Quote Originally Posted by RepoMan View Post
    Are you really saying that you think there is a chance that D'Antoni would join Duke as an assistant coach? I thought the initial post was sort of tongue in cheek. There is 0% chance that he would take that job, so I don't really see why its worth discussing.
    The odds are about one in a million, so I am saying there is a chance!

I am also saying that it could be discussed depending on D'Antoni's situation. We don't need to make an immediate move as the recruiting contact period is closing again. Coach K and D'Antoni will be in contact quite a bit over the summer, particularly now that D'Antoni has some extra free time.

D'Antoni's strength is the international game, and it would not surprise me if Team USA uses him to scout the Olympic play-in tournaments and the warm-up games the other Olympic teams schedule. D'Antoni's international connections could help uncover potential recruits. I hope he at least shares that info with Duke's staff!

Smile Not sure....

If you think you don't know anything, why would you post your opinions anyway for all the world to see? I don't get it...
    Jumbo, Jumbo. If we self-regulated ourselves to make sure we definitely had something to contribute before submitting a post, what would the DBR Moderators have to do?

sagegrouse

The G-Man would be a super hire, but I doubt he wants to coach or he would be doing it already. Jarvis would be great, too. Laettner would be an intriguing hire. Coach K might be the only coach he could work for, and he has the passion required to motivate anybody.

Mike Jarvis? Seriously? The same Mike Jarvis who left the St. John's program in total disrepair and disrepute? A snowball has a better chance of surviving the week in Hades.

"Lack of Civility - Insulting other posters and generally being an annoying jerk. Focus on the post, not the poster."

Quote Originally Posted by dukemomLA View Post
    Y'all know I don't know anything, but... just an observation from a dummy.
    Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    "Lack of Civility - Insulting other posters and generally being an annoying jerk. Focus on the post, not the poster."
    BD80,

Jumbo's comment was about the post. Let's let this sub-topic go to bed and get back to basketball.

-jk

I say get Nate James. He's more of a forward whereas the other two assistants are guards, you get someone who knows what Duke is all about and you get someone who knows what it takes to win a championship. And it never hurts to have a younger coach on the team; someone who isn't too far removed from what the current players are going through. I like the idea of getting James.

The truth of the matter is that I have seen several people, mods and posters alike say things that were completely inaccurate in regards to the next assistant coach.

Still, people should converse. I can tell you that Duke is in a great situation, having a lot of good candidates and that hires from here to K eternity will be from within the family.

Duke will have their new coach in place in the very near future and a lot will depend on whether some capable folks who've sat on the bench might go west. If this happens, it allows another person on staff now) an opportunity.

Collins and Wojo are staying put. I love Johnny, but in the end the changes will be a good thing for many.

So, we discussed this at lunch the other day, and one name came up that hasn't been mentioned here. Don't know how well it'd work out, since (a) I don't know how much he's interested in coaching and (b) I don't know how interested he is in rehabbing still. How about J-Will? I mean, he had the smarts and the skills that it seems he'd be well-suited for the job (although, granted, doesn't address the big-man coach idea or the FT guru idea). Last I had heard, he was pretty happy working with the younger age group basketball (IIRC), but you never know.

Personally, like the idea of Nate James, too, assuming Coach likes the idea and Nate likes the idea. :-)

There is only one job in the NBA that fits Mike D'Antoni, the Toronto Raptors. The Raptors might fire Sam Mitchell if D'Antoni becomes available.

D'Antoni's strength is the international game, where he coached for a while. His system would fit few other teams.

His reputation for lack of defense will scare off some organizations.
    All of that is 100% not true. He's already coveted by a number of teams. He'll have his pick of several open jobs, but could just as easily take the year off.

Yeah, college assistant jobs "often" open up at prestigious universities with a hall of fame coach who is also the Team USA coach who has also developed a relationship with the recently FIRED "winning" NBA coach. Does the "fired" negate the "winning" appellation? There are more than a few NBA coaches who have taken college coaching jobs less prestigious than assistant to Coach K.
    There is absolutely no precedent for such a thing. A college assistant job? Making chump change, being forced to recruit, carrying Coach K's clipboard? D'Antoni is an incredibly high achiever. In no way, shape or form would he leave the highest level of basketball to serve as an assistant at any college. He wouldn't even leave to run a college program.

I did not say it was likely. It is worth discussing. I happen to think the situation at Duke would merit D'Antoni's consideration for a year while the right job opens up.
    No, the whole premise is so silly that it's not worth discussing. It's just as likely that, as one poster said, Duke would unearth Red Auerbach's body and put him on the bench next year.

Taking for granted that there is some basis for your condescending post, where is D'Antoni going to be next year?
    I'm sorry that you find it condecending. Pardon me for trying to inject a dose of reality into random, baseless speculation. As far as where I see D'Antoni going if he's not in Phoenix, I'd rate the possibilities this way:
    1) Toronto
    2) New York
    3) Another potential NBA opening
    4) Broadcast booth/studio

Quote Originally Posted by MHTorringjan View Post
    So, we discussed this at lunch the other day, and one name came up that hasn't been mentioned here. Don't know how well it'd work out, since (a) I don't know how much he's interested in coaching and (b) I don't know how interested he is in rehabbing still. How about J-Will? I mean, he had the smarts and the skills that it seems he'd be well-suited for the job (although, granted, doesn't address the big-man coach idea or the FT guru idea). Last I had heard, he was pretty happy working with the younger age group basketball (IIRC), but you never know.

Personally, like the idea of Nate James, too, assuming Coach likes the idea and Nate likes the idea. :-)
    JWill is in the mix. He is a former national POY and all everything that could point to what Duke did for him. I think he'd do a fine job, but I have to wonder if he is ready. He seems to have a lot of business affairs that would need tying up. He is cetainly recognizable and the sooner he got in the better for the prospects these days have short memories. For instance, if he were recruiting a sixteen year old, he would have been nine when Duke won the title with JWill.

Nate has been close to the program of late. He's worked the clinics and seems to focus in on what he wants. The fact that he did play down low, cannot hurt and I feel certain he'd hit the AAU trail hard. Nate has D.C. connections and JWill Jersey connections. Both are super candidates.

Others have shown interest too and they all have different things to bring to the table. It's a no lose situation for K to make, other than he'll have other great prospects in the wings.

Quote Originally Posted by CMS2478 View Post
    Do any of really KNOW who the next assistant will be, so by your standard this whole thread is irrelevant? As is one about who will start next year? How many wins Coach K will have when we retires? Who we will sign in '09? The list goes on and on.....I agree, lighten up.
    I think you're missing my point. If I were to post that I think Bobby Flay needs a new sous-chef, should add more garlic to his recipes and find a BBQ sauce expert, then finished that post with "but I know nothing about cooking," what would be the point of my post? I'd basically be telling someone what to do, then admitting that it's not an area I understand.
    That's how I read DukeMom's post -- she suggested three changes and then said, "but I don't really know anything." That came off as weird to me. Sorry if it offended you.

Waterloo, Ontario (unfortunately, no longer in London England).
    Mike D'Antoni would be a great one year hire! Toronto really wants him (the Suns new management does not) but how do you fire a guy that is doing well with the team?
    Toronto doesn't want him - all of the talk is just that, talk. And it is coming from the talking heads in the media, not from the team itself.

Waterloo, Ontario (unfortunately, no longer in London England).

D'Antoni's strength is the international game, and it would not surprise me if Team USA uses him to scout the Olympic play-in tournaments and the warm-up games the other Olympic teams schedule. D'Antoni's international connections could help uncover potential recruits. I hope he at least shares that info with Duke's staff!
    Well we've seen how well giong international has worked out for the Raptors.

Quote Originally Posted by colchar View Post
    Well we've seen how well giong international has worked out for the Raptors.
    Quite well. They've turned around a franchise that was headed nowhere, have found a way to go small and utlilize a multi-talented big guy (Chris Bosh), have unearthed a fantastic point guard (Jose Calderon), etc. Toronto is on the way up, has a great GM, and if they could somehow steal D'Antoni, he'd be a perfect fit for the next phase of the franchise's climb.

recruiting

I prefer someone that is connected that can recruit effectively. Looks like JWill and Nate have that in their favor. My guess JWill would get the nod over Nate.