Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    I personally don't think it should be a big deal, but historically the NCAA is pretty tight about its rules and likes to apply them in the absence of common sense. So we'll see what, if anything happens.
    Today's N&O has a blurb on this, Obama game odd but OK:

North Carolina's men's basketball team on Tuesday had what a team official called an extraordinary chance to play basketball with presidential candidate Barack Obama.

So extraordinary that an NCAA rule appears to have been broken -- and the NCAA is apparently going to ignore it.

"This was a unique situation and not an NCAA issue," NCAA media relations director Erik Christianson said in an e-mail message to The News & Observer on Tuesday. "It certainly was a great opportunity for the student-athletes to interact with a presidential candidate."
    Apparently there could technically be two issues: the coach isn't supposed to be there, and there aren't supposed to be any mandatory off-season events. I can't imagine it was too hard to get some players to show up even though it was voluntary, though.

It seems odd that Williams apparently didn't get prior approval, but at least nobody's going to make a stupid rule issue out of this. It obviously wasn't the most competitive pickup game, given that it included some old guy.

Didn't he do this at Indiana, too? I don't know if the coach was there for that one.

NCAA turning head on UNC Violation with Obama

Yeah....

Over on IC they are saying that Coach K will protest, we will have meltdowns on our boards, etc. I don't see that any harm was done, if the situation were reversed I would have liked for our guys to have that opportunity and I am not an Obama supporter.

the issue wasn't with the players playing the pickup game, it was with Roy being in attendance. If K had been in that position, I'm sure he would have asked first. Roy has a history of breaking rules that he thinks are insignficant. K, not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by dukeENG2003 View Post
    the issue wasn't with the players playing the pickup game, it was with Roy being in attendance. If K had been in that position, I'm sure he would have asked first. Roy has a history of breaking rules that he thinks are insignficant. K, not so much.
    Eh, I'm not so sure that K or any other coach would have handled it differently. It's just not a big deal.

Off The Ticket!!

Shame on DBR - this is too much! Come back from the Dark Side!

http://tarheelblue.cstv.com/sports/m...42908aab.html#

Agreed....

Quote Originally Posted by notacolour View Post
    Eh, I'm not so sure that K or any other coach would have handled it differently. It's just not a big deal.
    If you make a big deal out of this is just makes you look like a "whiny, little, rich, kid" that everyone sterotypes us to be anyway.

with the number of Secret Service personnel on site, the coach wanted to be there to make sure that everything went OK.
    The Smith Center usually only sees that kind of defensive coverage once a year, when the Devils visit!

Bill Self is petitioning to have Bob Dole planted beneath a baseline at Allen Fieldhouse either now or after he dies.

We can then hold "extraordinary practices" at any time we choose and with whomever in attendance we please. Recruits? Sure. Coaches? The more the merrier. Players? They have to be there. Dole's there.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Found this vid of Sen. Obama shooting hoops in Chapel Hell...sigh. Another strike against. Is that Reggie on the bench at the end?
    No, that is Sam Perkins on the bench at the end.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    With the dreadlocks? Lotta hair for an old guy!

Hey everyone i just found out senator Clinton is going to play a pickup game with Duke. She swears she's going to play her best.