Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    The final item in this rundown of last night's game is fantastic:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...x.html?eref=T1
    You are aware that about 1/3rd of the "moments" caught by the "Kiss Cam" are staged and taped in advance with actors playing the role of the people who are being asked to kiss, right?

I am sure the girl sitting between two rival fans was one of these.

--Jason "that said, Kiss Cam is funny and fun and my 2 sons adore it" Evans

Huh?

Quote Originally Posted by calltheobvious View Post
    Dude, relax. We root for laundry.
    Meaning, I'm guessing, that you pull for the uni and not the particular mammal that occupies it?

Otherwise, I don't have a freaking clue what you're talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Latta6970 View Post
    Are you really pleased? At what point did you become pleased, last night? When they made the playoffs? I have to say I'd have a lot easier time pulling for the Hawks if Shelden Williams were still playing for them and a certain other Williams was playing in Antartica.

The scene you describe if I do say so doesn't sound like Atlanta at all. My mom was born and raised in Cumming GA (go ahead make jokes, I know I do.) and I have relatives from Cordele to Marietta. For all we know you and I may be cousins. There are a bunch of posters on DBR from GA, particularly Atlanta, native and transplant alike. (Earl Jam doesn't count, he's from Burlington NC originally and the tainted water fried his brain so badly he thinks he's in Atlantis.) But I have thought something for a long time, and don't take this as a slap directed at you Wilson. It's actually directed at the average sports fan in Georgia, many of whom are my relatives. The state of Georgia has some of the worst sports fans in the world.

I remember Dominique's Hawks playing the Bulls in the Omni years ago. The fans down there were pulling for Jordan, IN THE PLAYOFFS! Granted I loathe Jordan for where he went to school, but they were pulling against the home team. Every NBA draft when they make a bad pick that doesn't address needs I laugh and say it serves them right. If Atlanta wanted a good basketball team they should have been pulling for them the last time they had a decent team.

Then we go to the beloved Braves, everyones favorite baseball team from Gafney SC to Gainsville FL. We Duke fans are called spoiled, and perhaps it's with good reason. But a few years back when the Cubs and Braves met in the playoffs, Cubs fans bought up all the away tickets and Turner field had at least an equal number if not more fans than the Braves. I suppose if I were the owner I might just be glad the games were sold out. But knowing my home city didn't care enough about the most popular team in the city to give a homefield advantage? Well imagine Cameron being 50% or more filled with UNC fans durring a Duke vs. UNC mens basketball game. You can't envision it and neither can I.

Next we go to the Falcons who didn't do anything every single year after being in the NFC championship game against the Cowboys to get the right to lose to the Steelers in the 1979 Super Bowl. The city had high hopes, but year after year it got worse and worse. People in Georgia do LOVE some football and they actually know it better than baseball despite the Braves. It's just a shame all hope of the future went down in a dog fight in a Home Depot lot. Blame PETA all you want to, but season ticket sales haven't been anything to smile about since Jimmy Carter was still in office.

Now UNLIKE North Carolina, Georgia knows, loves and appreciates college football UGA and GT both have national titles. (Although GT's last one was a co-champion and UNC tied them that year so it doesn't really count.) Game day in Athens or Atlanta is actually a happy time filled with hope, unlike recent autumn Saturdays in the triangle. And next to Ibiza Spain, Mardi Gras and anytime my ex wife drinks absynthe there isn't a bigger party than Florida vs. Georgia in football. GT has been to two Final Fours (oddly enough in the same year as Duke went) but even a national title in basketball wouldn't rank up there with an SEC title in football.

I just wonder if the Hawks were to knock off the Celtics how much talk around the average peach flavored water cooler there would be about it. If they won the whole freakin' title I don't think the city would go half as Gonzo as just going to the Super Bowl. (Oh dirty bird where art thou?) My mom played basketball for Berry College way back in the day, and swears it's where I get my game from. I tell her, "no mom, you're from Georgia, you don't know anything about basketball, I'm good, lol". To the GA DBR posters on here PLEASE don't take this as a knock on any of you. From most everything I've read your knowledge of the game however you came to find it is encouraging if not impressive. But anyone could see fans in the city / state tend to be a little "fickle" to put it nicely. I guess unlike NC when you grow up having teams in all the major sports (Go Flames....I mean Thrashers!) it all gets passe. God knows this state didn't go bonkers when the Hurricane's won the stanley cup like they did when that ugly shade of blue won their last title, so I have no room to talk. And maybe it's being forced to watch the Pathers EVERY bloody week that has me misthinking this state is any more loyal.
    I'm not sure if you know, but I'm also from Atlanta, and have lived here all my life. I am a big fan of all the Atlanta teams, and always have been. I was pleased about the Hawks back in about December when they started nicely, and have been tracking their rebuild throughout. I attended their last playoff victory before this season (in 1999), and have attended probably 20 Braves playoff games, not to mention countless dozens of regular season ones. I have also seen the Falcons play once a season or so since the Georgia Dome was built, as well as in the playoffs. I love Atlanta, and I love Atlanta teams. I agree that my fellow fans sometimes aren't great, but Kevin Garnett himself said that the atmosphere in Philips Arena has been electric this past week. I can't account for other Atlanta fans, because it's not really my problem. Rather, I support my teams as best I can. You can start a discussion about Atlantans' lack of sporting passion, but you definitely can't challenge mine. I promise I'm as big a fan of these teams as any person is of their hometown squads. EarlJam (and others) will vouch for it.
    But thanks for playing.

Also, you misspelled "Antarctica."

marvin williams ejected

more classy play from the Tar Heels....could not POSSIBLY have been more of a punk move...

way to show your style marvin...

Never say never, but it is a 28 point lead mid-way through the 3rd period.

(And yes I am breaking my rule of watching NBA playoffs before the Conference championship level.)

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    I'm not sure if you know, but I'm also from Atlanta, and have lived here all my life. I am a big fan of all the Atlanta teams, and always have been. I was pleased about the Hawks back in about December when they started nicely, and have been tracking their rebuild throughout. I attended their last playoff victory before this season (in 1999), and have attended probably 20 Braves playoff games, not to mention countless dozens of regular season ones. I have also seen the Falcons play once a season or so since the Georgia Dome was built, as well as in the playoffs. I love Atlanta, and I love Atlanta teams. I agree that my fellow fans sometimes aren't great, but Kevin Garnett himself said that the atmosphere in Philips Arena has been electric this past week. I can't account for other Atlanta fans, because it's not really my problem. Rather, I support my teams as best I can. You can start a discussion about Atlantans' lack of sporting passion, but you definitely can't challenge mine. I promise I'm as big a fan of these teams as any person is of their hometown squads. EarlJam (and others) will vouch for it.
    But thanks for playing.

Also, you misspelled "Antarctica."
    Also bear in mind that a LARGE number of Atlantans are transplants. It is easy for a transplant to root for the home team when they are doing well, but also easy to ignore them when things are not going well.

Second - you mentioned Atlanta fans and UGA fans typically focus much more on college football.

Look at Univ of Illinois. The cubs fans are die hard - but until the last 2 years under Zook they couldnt fill half of their football stadium. Same thing with Boston fans and BC football/ Red Sox.

Even in the mid 90s, when UGA football was not good at all, they were filling Sanford stadium.

Just a couple of thinking points - not necessarily bad sports fans. Perhaps just different sports fans. Just because Atlantans are fans of different sports than other cities doesnt make them bad. One more - Montreal has the Canadiens, and everyone acknowledges that they are mad about their hockey. But the Expos couldn't outdraw a high school baseball game. That doesnt make them bad fans.

Oh, and if you ever go to a race a Nascar race at Atlanta Motor Speedway you would see a max crowd of 125,000 - and dont try telling me those fans arent die hard.
    My Quick Smells Like French Toast.

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    more classy play from the Tar Heels....could not POSSIBLY have been more of a punk move...

way to show your style marvin...
    what happened - i am not watching on tv.

About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.
    Quote Originally Posted by steven52682 View Post
    what happened - i am not watching on tv.
    Williams fouled Rondo hard on an open court breakaway. He basically tackled Rondo and did not make a play on the ball. In his defense, though, he did try to catch Rondo - I didn't think he was trying to hurt him - just absolutely prevent him from scoring.

It was ruled a Flagrant 2 foul, and Williams was ejected.
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

Quote Originally Posted by steven52682 View Post
    Same thing with Boston fans and BC football/ Red Sox.
    A couple of thoughts on this point:

1) BC is a private university and relatively small(8500 undergrads) compared to the other schools you mention, this does limit the number of fans.
    2) Boston is a pro sports town, in fact most of the Northeastern cities(Boston, NYC, Philly, etc.) strike me as pro sports towns. In the Southeast, except for Atlanta and recent additons in Florida and North Carolina and Nashville, there isn't the pro competition you might face up here.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    A couple of thoughts on this point:

1) BC is a private university and relatively small(8500 undergrads) compared to the other schools you mention, this does limit the number of fans.
    2) Boston is a pro sports town, in fact most of the Northeastern cities(Boston, NYC, Philly, etc.) strike me as pro sports towns. In the Southeast, except for Atlanta and recent additons in Florida and North Carolina and Nashville, there isn't the pro competition you might face up here.
    #2 is exactly my point. Just because Atlanta fans are more college fans than pro doesnt make them any worse than other fans who are more pro rather than college. I am not saying Atlanta sports fans are as good as Boston's. They arent. I was just making an analogy.

"In his defense, though, he did try to catch Rondo "

It appeared to me that he tried to catch him by the neck.

IMO, it was indefensible, dangerous play in a game long since decided. Lots of NBA fouls are designed to stop a basket but don't even approach the danger level of Williams' take-down of Rondo.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post

IMO, it was indefensible, dangerous play in a game long since decided. Lots of NBA fouls are designed to stop a basket but don't even approach the danger level of Williams' take-down of Rondo.
    agreed...3-5 game suspension for marvin would be my guess...just a chump play...

I found Williams' response of his ejection to be hilarious. Michelle Tafoya reported that Williams said he didn't think it was a flagrant at all and that Rondo is his friend. Uhhhhh...Marvin, it wouldn't matter if it's your childhood sweetheart, you still get ejected.

agreed 100%, video here:

http://awfulannouncing.blogspot.com/...nes-rajon.html
    and
    http://ballhype.com/video/marvin_wil...s_rajon_rondo/

That was every bit as hard a foul as you will ever see. Regardless of what Marvin said, it was flagrant. Marvin could have fouled him without closelining him. Bad play and he got what he deserved. I am just thankful that Rondo was no injured and can continue to play.

On another note, I found it funny that Mike Bibby called Celtic fans badwagon fans. Yet how many sellouts did the Hawks have this season before the playoffs?

As you say, 'stay classy, Carolina.'

Quote Originally Posted by denniden View Post

On another note, I found it funny that Mike Bibby called Celtic fans badwagon fans. Yet how many sellouts did the Hawks have this season before the playoffs?
    Whoa Whoa Whoa! Are you calling Atlanta fans bandwagon? A significant percentage of them NEVER care about the pro teams, even when they're good.

I was watching for a while in the first half when the Hawks were behind but still in the game. Then I had some stuff to get done so I went away from the game for about 30 minutes.

I came back and turned to TV on to see if the Hawks were making a run. The score popped up...

70 - 34 mid way through the 3rd quarter.

I was dumbfounded. That's a Duke vs. (overmatched directional school in December) score. DAMN! What a beatdown the Celtics put on the Hawks.

Still, the Hawks can be proud of how well they played at home. This team is close to being a real contender. All they need is a new PG, a legit C, a creative coach, and a front office with a clue and they are right in there. Oh, they also need to get rid of thier starting SF. But they are really close.

--Jason "Marvin Williams will be suspended for the first few games of next season so the Hawks may get off to a hot start next year" Evans

That's exactly what he/she meant...

Quote Originally Posted by slower View Post
    Meaning, I'm guessing, that you pull for the uni and not the particular mammal that occupies it?

Otherwise, I don't have a freaking clue what you're talking about.
    It's an old Seinfeld bit from back in the day. Since the players change teams so much, we're basically just cheering for laundry (i.e., the uniforms).

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    All they need is a new PG, a legit C, a creative coach, and a front office with a clue and they are right in there. Oh, they also need to get rid of thier starting SF. But they are really close.

--Jason "Marvin Williams will be suspended for the first few games of next season so the Hawks may get off to a hot start next year" Evans
    I still don't get your hatred for Marvin Williams as an NBA player. He averaged 15 points per game for a team with two big-time presences essentially at his position. He has actually turned into a pretty solid SF in the NBA.

The biggest knock against Williams that I can see is that he's not Chris Paul and he's not Deron Williams. But just because he hasn't become an NBA All-Star doesn't mean he's a bad player. And not having him available won't actually make the Hawks a better team.