Thread: Duke baseball

Duke baseball

Duke beat Maryland 2-1 today. Duke currently in 8th place in ACC. Only top 8 make ACC Tourny. Unfortunately, Duke's last six ACC games are on the road, albeit against teams they can beat.

Jonathan Foreman pitched seven scoreless innings but Maryland tied the game in the top of the 9th on a two-out infield single off Alex Hassan. Duke got the winning run in the bottom of the ninth on a single, a sac bunt, a K, an intentional walk, a hit batter (Matt Williams, on 0-2!), and a base-loaded walk to Frieman.

Best of all, the weather held up.

Aside from football

Baseball is probably the toughest coaching job at Duke. Coach McNally is doing a wonderful job of turning this program around. They'd be in great position for the tournament if they'd taken care of business at BC. Getting swept by them sucked but hopefully they can pull it out over the next two weekends. I hope that the new AD, whoever it may be, decides to upgrade their facilities, by far the worst in the ACC.

Quote Originally Posted by Inonehand View Post
    I hope that the new AD, whoever it may be, decides to upgrade their facilities, by far the worst in the ACC.
    Baseball is my first love. I made the spring roster after fall practice my freshman year, but had hurt my shoulders so badly playing club football that fall that I never went back out for the team - couldn't throw worth a damn. Of course, I couldn't before I hurt them, either.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

What year?

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    Baseball is my first love. I made the spring roster after fall practice my freshman year, but had hurt my shoulders so badly playing club football that fall that I never went back out for the team - couldn't throw worth a damn. Of course, I couldn't before I hurt them, either.
    When did you try out? Sorry about the shoulder...elbow was my bugaboo.

Fall of '72. Wonder if I got to face Ozzie in an intersquad. I threw over a third of the team's innings that season.

I regret to pass along that Ozzie's classmate Wayne Krivsky, who made the team as a freshman third baseman that season, lost his job as general manager of the Reds the other day, fired by their clownish owner -- a move universally regarded in organized baseball as unfair. Krivsky made far more good moves than bad, including taking a flyer on Raleigh's Josh Hamilton, whom he was able to trade for one of the most promising young pitchers in baseball. And of course, the timing -- 28 days into the season -- absolutely stunk.

I'm optimistic that McNally has finally turned the corner with the program. Eighth place in the ACC is nothing to sneeze at, as I believe that it has passed the SEC and Pac 10 as the country's best baseball conference. Last week, Miami, Fla. St. and UNC were ranked 1-2-3 in the country.

Of the top 9 offensive performers (batting average), 7 are underclassmen, including 4 sophomores and 1 freshman; and of the top 8 pitchers (innings pitched), 7 are underclassmen - including 2 freshmen and 4 sophomores. As long as the juniors stick around for their senior years, and if McNally brings in another strong freshmen class, next year's team should be even better. The future certainly seems bright for Duke baseball.

Team

is not missing much that keeps it out of the top 5-7 of the league. I'd say two quality arms and 2 bats in this linup and they're there this year. However, in baseball, that 2 and 2 recruit combination can take 2 to 3 years to accomplish. Freiman will probably be a pretty high draft choice this year so that would mean 3 hitters needed. Williams is a highly-regarded catcher and wouldn't be drafted as high but will be. Wolcott will be drafted. So, they may need the 4 referenced above and replacements for these three AND a replacement for Nicolla who has had a fantastic year for them. Good thing is the juniors are good students (Nate is brilliant) and maybe they'll stay. Whatever happens, it will have to be an extremely good recruiting class to move up in the best conference in the country.

Keep in mind that Seander, Duke's best pitcher, has missed virtually the entire season with a sore elbow. Manno has taken some major steps forward in recent weeks.

Nate is indeed a superb student, so maybe he comes back. Not sure how high Wolcott gets drafted. Williams? Major league defense but not sure his bat has attracted much attention from the next level. Maybe Duke loses some talent to the '08 draft but in the long run that has to help recruiting.

Getting quality pitching depth is the big variable in whether Duke (or any other program) can move into the high-rent district. Virginia is a vivid local example of how quickly and completely a baseball program can rise up when and if they commit the resources to be competitive. Duke hasn't made that committment yet but with a new AD coming on board, who knows? Might be the perfect opportunity to make that move.

Seander

Does anyone really know what is wrong with Seander? The only time I saw him pitch this year he didn't seem to have much pop or movement. Hopefully the rest is all he needs. As for Williams, I think he has a serviceable bat (.289 in the ACC and a recent 15 game hitting streak spanning at least three ACC seried) and definitely the size/strength to play at the next level. At Duke, signability plays a huge part in whether they will get drafted. Have no idea of their leanings.
    Any new AD is walking into a situation where the administration is on board for a new stadium. And I don't think the $25 million being spent at UNC is needed. Something in the range of 8-12 million would be nice. However, there will be a lot of coaches in the "I need this" line. We shall see where priorities land. Football, Soccer/lax, field hockey, and always basketball will be there with hands out.

Seander? I was told that he felt tenderness in his elbow and Duke was taking it very carefully. I do not expect to see him again this season. Assuming his arm returns to 100% next season, he projects as a high draft pick.

A lack of talent was mine.