Why did Bobby Hurley never get into coaching?

I heard somewhere that he was into horseracing or something like that but you never really see him anymore whether on TV,I don't know if he even comes to Duke games

But why did he never get into coaching when his father is the greatest HS basketball coach in New Jersey and his brother currently is one of the top HS basketball coaches in the country.

Im a younger guy so I never saw him play or know anything about him other than classic games shown from early 90's Duke.

Quote Originally Posted by Franzez View Post
    his father is the greatest HS basketball coach in New Jersey and his brother currently is one of the top HS basketball coaches in the country.
    Perhaps that is why...

Maybe the auto accident recovery gave him a different perspective on life.

Horses

He is into horse racing and ownership. That is a labor of love as well and takes a lot of energy.

Smile Friendly reminder

I heard somewhere that he was into horseracing or something like that but you never really see him anymore whether on TV,I don't know if he even comes to Duke games

But why did he never get into coaching when his father is the greatest HS basketball coach in New Jersey and his brother currently is one of the top HS basketball coaches in the country.

Im a younger guy so I never saw him play or know anything about him other than classic games shown from early 90's Duke.
    You can see just how much he's into horse racing by checking out DevilHorse's thread on "Hurley Horse Happenings."

Cheers,
    Lavabe

I should keep an eye on that thread in case he ever has any entries at Arlington International. It's down the street from my parents' house and make sure to get over there a few times each summer. Would enjoy the opportunity to lay a wager on a Hurley Horse.

I don't know how regularly he comes to Duke games, but he was at Duke/Carolina a few years back (3-4).

Stream Cat finished 4th I believe..

Quote Originally Posted by Cavlaw View Post
    I should keep an eye on that thread in case he ever has any entries at Arlington International. It's down the street from my parents' house and make sure to get over there a few times each summer. Would enjoy the opportunity to lay a wager on a Hurley Horse.
    Cavlaw,

I believe that Stream Cat finished 4th in the Arlington Million last year. He was coming up fast and likes the turf; perhaps he'll be back this year. He is still in training.

Larry
    Devilhorse

Miami

i saw him on TV at the Miami game in Miami.

Diversify the portfolio

The more outstanding achievements for Duke basketball alumni outside the athletic arena the better it is for the program.
    Hurley made it out of that hospital bed and is doing great things with his life. That reflects on his talent, inner strength, family, Coach K and Duke.
    Success like that is what Duke fans should be proud of.
    Oh yeah, and that 3 when we were down 5 against Vegas in the last two minutes in the semifinals was pretty good too.

I seem to recall that Bobby coached the JV or freshman team at the Pine Crest School in Fort Lauderdale, FL. I believe that his children do or did attend that school. Maybe someone has more on that.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    I seem to recall that Bobby coached the JV or freshman team at the Pine Crest School in Fort Lauderdale, FL. I believe that his children do or did attend that school. Maybe someone has more on that.
    He has children?

Hes one of the greatest to ever wear the Duke uniform but fans like me know so little about him he could disappear in time when regarding Duke.

25 years from now guys my age might be saying Jason Williams is the great Duke PG of all time,and just saying Hurley because the older guys said he was good.

Bobby applied for the Columbia head coaching job about 5 years ago and didn't get it. Never understood why he didn't try to work his way up from an assistant position.

I recall reading an article on the 10-year anniversary of his near-fatal accident; and in that article Hurley talked about how he still struggled deeply when he thought about his NBA career that could have been.

While the overall message of the article was a good, powerful one, that particular part was kind of sad. Can't remember his exact quote, but it was touching.

Maybe with the loss of the NBA career, he just wanted to move on from the sport all-together...heartbreak and all that.

Pure speculation of course. I love to see an interview with him. He's my all-time favorite Duke player.

-EarlJam

He has children?
    He has two beautiful girls; I met them in the women's room in Cameron one year... oh, by the way, one of them is named Cameron! That's love of Duke basketball, isn't it?
    DukeDevilDeb

First, Dick Groat is my all time favorite Duke basketball player, but Bobby is tied for second with a whole bunch of classy guys. The Duke family is duly proud of all of them.

I like your post about Bobby for what it says about him, and for what it says about us for feeling the way we do about him, and everyone else that makes us proud of being a part of the Duke family. The Hurley story is one that inspires us all.

Quote Originally Posted by EarlJam View Post
    I recall reading an article on the 10-year anniversary of his near-fatal accident; and in that article Hurley talked about how he still struggled deeply when he thought about his NBA career that could have been.

While the overall message of the article was a good, powerful one, that particular part was kind of sad. Can't remember his exact quote, but it was touching.

-EarlJam
    I remember reading it too. It was probably this article: http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/column...ian&id=1683981

And the following was the quote:

"If my career didn't take a certain path, it would be easy now," Hurley said. "Maybe coaching would heal me a little bit. But when your career went like mine did, where I had built up all these expectations, put in so much work, and then just everything falls apart ... it was tough. And it still is. I'm not saying I was on the way to being an All-Star, or a Hall of Fame career, but I know there could still be a job in that league for me... The way it ended, it's never really going to resolve itself for me.