Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Good luck to a fine man. We affectionately called you, based on your answers to radio call in questions, "PC" Johnny.

So who's next? Wojo, Collins, Paulus?

Nate James

The addition of Nate James as an assitant coach would add another person with National Championship experience...which can't hurt any.

Wonder if he was advised to get out there and get some head coaching experience?

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron View Post
    What was Johnny's connection with Williams and/or his father (was his Dad a pro?) Or was it just based on his NBA pedigree?
    Who has been Duke's lead recruiter with Leslie McDonald?

Quote Originally Posted by kramerbr View Post
    The addition of Nate James as an assitant coach would add another person with National Championship experience...which can't hurt any.
    Do you mean another person besides Coach K? Could we get Matt D'oh? He's an awesome recruiter.

7. Ultimately, I think he will return to Duke when/if Duke offers him after K retires. Gaining head experience is great for Johnny. He wouldn't want to end up like Guthridge who was in Dean's shadow for 30 years and was then shell shocked when he took the reigns.

Stanford is probably a good choice for Johnny and Johnny is a good choice for Stanford because the two schools have similar acedemic standards. I am sure that had much to do with the mutual decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post
    Do you mean another person besides Coach K? Could we get Matt D'oh? He's an awesome recruiter.
    Nate has a experience as a player on a NC team, however, Wojo and Collins were also assistants on the 01' team. So besides K, Wojo, and Collins, yes.

Any chance

we can hire someone that didn't play at Duke? That maybe has already coached somewhere else already?

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron View Post
    What was Johnny's connection with Williams and/or his father (was his Dad a pro?) Or was it just based on his NBA pedigree?
    It was that JD played a big role in the recruitiment, but K took a special interest in this one too. JD is a fine upstanding fellow and he impressed the Williams family.

Quote Originally Posted by TwoDukeTattoos View Post
    Ultimately, I think he will return to Duke when/if Duke offers him after K retires. Gaining head experience is great for Johnny. He wouldn't want to end up like Guthridge who was in Dean's shadow for 30 years and was then shell shocked when he took the reigns.
    Er...Guthridge took UNC to 2 final fours in 3 years. He didn't do squat recruiting, but he coached the players he had just fine. I don't think he was exactly shell shocked.
    Last edited by Jumbo; 04-26-2008 at 02:46 PM. Reason: fixed quote tag

Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post
    That's an outdated model of thought.
    Please elaborate if you feel the need. This is the way Duke thought about it. I am not saying it is right or wrong, just that it was the case in this situation. So, I suppose your beef is with the way they did things while JD was here.

Best of luck to Johnny! I'm truly going to miss seeing him smile on the bench, which was a bit rare, but always wonderful because it meant Duke had done something really right. He's an intense guy and will do well at Stanford. Palo Alto is beautiful and the weather can't be beat.
    The Pac 10, eh? Kind of scary for a first head coaching job but if that boob Montgomery was able to have some success, JD will surely soar!

I predict a teary day when JD cleans out his office. He's part of the soul of Duke basketball.

May the road rise up to meet you Coach Dawkins!

I don't think this is it for JD at Duke. He WILL come back one dy as the HC. I'll miss him a bunch, but he isn't gone for good.

I know we all talk about this as a stepping stone to the HC job at Duke, but Johnny is going to need a little luck to go with (what I hope) is some coaching ability. So, here is hoping that he gets some great recruits to get that program back on top and lots of luck! After all, he won't be coming back if he doesn't prove himself.

You know what will be interesting? Watching how Dawkins fills out his staff at Stanford.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
    You know what will be interesting? Watching how Dawkins fills out his staff at Stanford.
    Great point! You think there will be any Duke faces?

Smile BEST of luck JD!

Oooh... those DBR job interview vibes strike again!

Congrats Johnny! We now have a big rooting interest in the Pac-10.

Speaking of filling up the staff, what's up with David Henderson?
    Cheers,
    Lavabe
    Last edited by Lavabe; 04-26-2008 at 03:13 PM. Reason: Henderson

About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueintheFace View Post
    Great point! You think there will be any Duke faces?
    I think Johnny's going to want a couple of good recruiters. I doubt he'd go after either of the Duke assistants, but it might happen. Chris Spatola, Nate James, and Chris Carrawell are all currently affiliated with Duke's program but not full-time coaches. Any one of them might be a good pick for Johnny, although their recruiting prowess has not been established.

I'd guess that JD takes one of the five Duke associated folks mentioned above and then pulls in someone else that can bring in the talent. Another poster mentioned Quin, which would be very interesting. I wonder if Stanford would let that happen, given Quin's rep (fair or not)?
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

I think it might be time for a Grant Hill retirement/new job as an assistant haha or maybe Jay Bilas is sick of announcing haha. Dawkins with Hill and Bilas ... a man can only dream