Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Dawkins is Gone: New Stanford Coach

Congratulations and good luck to Johnny.

This could be great for everybody-- Dawkins, Duke's future, New blood in the coaching staff. Here are a few questions...

1) What kind of hand do we think he has been dealt at Stanford?
    2) Who, if anybody, will become associate head coach?
    3) Will we be getting a big man to be a big man coach?
    4) How does this effect the Olympics?
    5) How does Coach K feel about this?
    6) How does this effect next season?
    7) Will we be seeing a Nate James promotion?

... thats all I can think of for now but I am sure there are many more...

Quote Originally Posted by BlueintheFace View Post
    This could be great for everybody-- Dawkins, Duke's future, New blood in the coaching staff. Here are a few questions...

1) What kind of hand do we think he has been dealt at Stanford?
    2) Who, if anybody, will become associate head coach?
    3) Will we be getting a big man to be a big man coach?
    4) How does this effect the Olympics?
    5) How does Coach K feel about this?
    6) How does this effect next season?
    7) Will we be seeing a Nate James promotion?

... thats all I can think of for now but I am sure there are many more...
    1) A really tough one.
    2) Good question. I would doubt anyone would get the title.
    3) What do you define as a "big man" and why would a "big man" coach "big men" more effectively?
    4) I don't think JD's position on the Olympic team will affect the team's performance in any meaningful way.
    5) No one knows but Coach K. I'm sure he will do everything he can to support JD, obviously.
    6) It means there will be more change. Change is good, but relationships will obviously changed.
    7) I will be shocked if we don't. Shocked.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
    7) I will be shocked if we don't. Shocked.
    I agree. Although somebody brought up an interesting point about Jay Williams being interested in becoming a part of the program. Perhaps he will step in to Nate James' old roll... I'm a little skeptical, but I can see it.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueintheFace View Post
    I agree. Although somebody brought up an interesting point about Jay Williams being interested in becoming a part of the program. Perhaps he will step in to Nate James' old roll... I'm a little skeptical, but I can see it.
    Jay Williams is not in the mix. If it's not Nate, it would be Chris Spatola. But everything I've heard for a while now would indicate that Nate would get the job.

I'm excited about Nate on the bench. He is one of my favorite players. Very good defender, and could hit the three from the corner or get a key rebound when you needed.

He had a really close relationship with Nolan didn't he? I hope this doesn't effect Nolan negatively. Although, i doubt it will.

Quote Originally Posted by Dukebacker View Post
    He had a really close relationship with Nolan didn't he? I this doesn't effect Nolan negatively. Although, i doubt it will.
    I'm with you on this one. This question will probably come up ad nauseum on this board until such questions are affirmatively squashed.

This will work out well for Duke. It gives JD a chance to get some head coaching experience before he returns to Durham to guide the Blue Devils in about 10 or 11 seasons. Dawk deserves this alot, so I am really happy for him. He will run the program with great class while keeping them a winner.

Quote Originally Posted by freedevil View Post
    I'm with you on this one. This question will probably come up ad nauseum on this board until such questions are affirmatively squashed.
    No it won't, because there aren't any questions. Nolan Smith plays for Duke. And we don't allow rumor-mongering.

Well, I think if people are afraid that Nolan will follow Dawkins they should remember one thing. Dawkins is practically a father figure for Nolan and will want what is best for him. Dawkins knows that Nolan will be the next point guard at Duke and that he will get tons of playing time and national exposure under a great man and coach. He probably wouldn't let Nolan come to Stanford.

Nolan is a high character kid. Hes grown close with Kyle and other players so I think if this was before his freshman season it'd be more of an issue. Nolan isn't going to allow Dawk's departure to effect him when hes already playing for a pretty damn good head coach.

Also, why would he want to go to Stanford, which is further from his mother and sister who live in Maryland.

"It doesn’t make sense to us, but then again, it’s not our career: ESPN says Johnny Dawkins has accepted the Stanford job"

A ringing endorsement from the DBR!

Does this affect Miles Plumlees decision to stay at Stanford?

He would have to re-sign with them now since he already had his first LOI ripped up.

Jumbo (and others),

If you had to guess, do you ever see Jay Williams joining the program in some way? It seems to make so much sense in the world of internet prognosticators, but I don't think I've ever actually seen a quote or media report of real interest. I for one would absolutely love to see it happen, and think he belongs on the bench. It could be great for Duke and could be great for Jay. Anyway, thanks as always.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
    Jay Williams is not in the mix. If it's not Nate, it would be Chris Spatola. But everything I've heard for a while now would indicate that Nate would get the job.

From what I can tell, Dawkins will have absolutely no front court and a few average senior guards. Tough road ahead...

Hasn't JD had better openings available in the past and turned them down? Seems odd that he would want to rebuild a basketball program. I guess if anyone can do it, he can.

I hope this doesn't affect our recruiting, he seemed to be one of the best.