Any writers on the board?

If so, I"m looking for your most effective way to get past writer's block. I've tried all my usual methods, and for the first time--nothing is working. I have a deadline with my publisher this week, so I need to get unstuck. Any ideas?

Sorry, my post won't help you at all. I have a difficult enough time coming up with material for the OTB.

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Hmmm, since I don't know the nature of the writing you are doing, here's a suggestion. When I'm trying to write a play and I can't get my head around a particular character, I try writing a letter as the character. I've written letters to the characters' mothers or their best friends or sometimes, the personal essay for a college application. I usually find out things about them I didn't know before which helps me. When I'm still stuck, I go work on something else, either another play or I pull out my knitting. Knitting is always good for writer's block.

If you're writing non-fiction, I'm probably not much help. If you're searching for ideas, do the Will Rodgers route, read the papers. I also will sit on a park bench or even in the subway and make up names/jobs/snippets of a life story for the people I see around me, either that or make myself think of someone famous they look like.

The biggest way for me to get around a writer's block is to disconnect from the distraction of the Internet, and specifically the distraction of the DBR. Once I focus, I'm fine!

Seriously, though, for me it's a change of scenery. I write non-fiction -- geeky books to teach programming languages to other developers. My block is usually in finding a fun example to illustrate a programming concept without being specific to one kind of business. Going to a bookstore lets me look at a bunch of books to find an unusual topic that everyone can relate to. Going to a sandwich or coffee shop isn't as helpful as there's less of a visual array of ideas, though the deserts are usually better (not so good for the waistline if writer's block persists). Sitting in a park sometimes is the best, as I'd watch the passers-by and envision how they might be able to use the functionality I'm trying to explain.

Sometimes even moving to the back porch, listening to the birds (or lawn mowers and leaf blowers in my fairly densely populated subdivision) is good, and I can explain my idea to the trees, birds, or my dogs. They are very kind to not interrupt my idea flows with their own ideas, and they always look at me as if I am very wise, giving me confidence in my ideas.

Thanks for all the suggestions--Devil 84--one of yours worked--sitting on the patio. Don't know why, just worked. Isn't writer's block interesting? And by the way, I do write non-fiction, and needed an interesting, user-friendly way to set up some research. Fresh air this morning did it for me. Thanks again.

I assume y'all have seen Barton Fink?

How to Get Unstuck from Writer's Block

I have used several different ways to get unstuck from writer's block. One way is to just go outside and connect with nature and sit quietly for a few minutes. Then I feel more centered and I can begin writing. Another way is to write about what you feel has been keeping you from writing what you need to. Finally I read another writer's work. This often inspires me, and once again I feel the writing bug come out. ~ John Seeley.
    Last edited by -jk; 04-27-2008 at 05:21 PM. Reason: removed advertisement

Have your spouse ask you "gotten any checks lately?"

Sure works for me.

BCGroup, glad that one of my suggestions worked! Fresh air sure clears the mind sometimes. Writer's block sure is interesting.

And jimsumner's idea works pretty well...if you work well under pressure!

Sitting back and smoking a cigar works for me. Don't know why. It also helps for me to be the least stressed as possible.