Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bobcats fire Head Coach

So now they go after Larry Brown, I'd imagine? At least if they get him, UNC fans won't be able to use the coaching staff as an excuse as to why that team constantly underperforms.

Sure they are. In the paper yesterday I think, was an article about that, saying "The source, who requested anonymity because of the sensitivity of the subject, said Brown had not been contacted by the Bobcats. However, there were other signs the Bobcats are at least curious. Two sources said shortly after Brown resigned as executive vice president with the Philadelphia 76ers Thursday, a Bobcats employee contacted the 76ers for biographical information on Brown."

http://www.charlotte.com/sports/story/596890.html

And Tom Sorenson is pushing for the hire:
    "Little went right for the Charlotte Bobcats before the recent public relations debacle and nothing has gone right for them since. Owner Bob Johnson's remarks to this newspaper, in which he blamed Charlotte's business community for his failure to sell suites and tickets, alienated a city that has never been crazy about him.But Johnson just got lucky. He was just offered the opportunity to prove that, darn it, he really does care. The opportunity's name is Larry Brown."
    http://www.charlotte.com/sports/story/597040.html

Quote Originally Posted by freedevil View Post
    So now they go after Larry Brown, I'd imagine? At least if they get him, UNC fans won't be able to use the coaching staff as an excuse as to why that team constantly underperforms.
    Poor Ray Felton. Larry has never had very good relations with his point guards. It is said he is a bit demanding.

Bet Quin's former father-in-law already had his suitcase packed and was ready and just waiting to visit Carlotte.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Devilsfan View Post
    Bet Quin's former father-in-law already had his suitcase packed and was ready and just waiting to visit Carlotte.
    Does Larry Brown ever bother to unpack?

The Charlotte Tar Heels

Lets see, Lawson and Hansbrough aren't going to be high picks. This means that the Bobcats can use their high picks this year and next to trade down in the draft and pick up some other used heels. This year's pick and Jason Richardson for NJ's pick and Vince Carter (in very used condition), they can still draft Lawson down at 21 and get Ellington in the second round. Adam Morrison for Marvin Williams (in almost new condition). Swap next year's #1 and Ekafor to Washington for a #1 and Brenda and Jamison - that pick will still be high enough to get Hansbrough - Green will be available in the second round. Gerald Wallace is probably enough to get your choice of Brandon Wright, Jerry Stackhouse or Rashad McCants. That would make about 13 heels.

Put Larry Brown in charge and have MJ scrimmage with them and off you go.

The only one I would feel badly for is Jamison!

Hmm, player reviews in end of season exit interviews are why he got fired? There is definitely an agency issue there(is a player ever going to blame his poor play?).

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Hmm, player reviews in end of season exit interviews are why he got fired? There is definitely an agency issue there(is a player ever going to blame his poor play?).
    Remind me, at WHAT point in the season do you pay attention to the NBA?

It's the Bobcats. As with the Hawks, I simply cannot follow this tier of NBA teams.

Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post
    Remind me, at WHAT point in the season do you pay attention to the NBA?

It's the Bobcats. As with the Hawks, I simply cannot follow this tier of NBA teams.

Ahhh, caught in a web of...I peeked to see who was coaching the Bobcats. I have yet to witness any live game action on TV or otherwise.

This should be a business school case study in how to totally ruin a sports franchise.

Quote Originally Posted by Devilsfan View Post
    This should be a business school case study in how to totally ruin a sports franchise.
    You can't ruin something that was never any better than awful.

The bobcats orginization is a disaster. Anytime the owner CHARGES the team for appearances at games, you know the team is in trouble...

A bunch of over-rated former unc players + Bad leadership + a city where nobody cares about the team = the Charlotte Bobcats

Quote Originally Posted by godukecom View Post
    The bobcats orginization is a disaster. Anytime the owner CHARGES the team for appearances at games, you know the team is in trouble...

A bunch of over-rated former unc players + Bad leadership + a city where nobody cares about the team = the Charlotte Bobcats
    Hmmm, the Hornets were pretty popular when I lived in Charlotte. Then Shinn started acting weird.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Hmmm, the Hornets were pretty popular when I lived in Charlotte. Then Shinn started acting weird.
    Well. Nobody cares about the Bobcats because the Bobcats have never been any good as far as I know. Plus since its basically UNC-Pro its hard for people that aren't Carolina fans to cheer them on. At least that's how it is for me. Stop pandering to UNC fans and start getting good players and see what happens.

There's almost a disinterest, as opposed to disgust (which was how folks felt toward the end about Shinn). You get the UNC fans who are happy about the players, but when you don't win...There was a bump of excitement when MJ bought in, but the recent public relations fiasco when Bob Johnson gave an interview to the Observer took care of that. For example, Scott Fowler said:
    "Johnson's conversation with the Charlotte Observer on Monday, a conversation he initiated, was unbelievable. Billionaire Bob feels unappreciated, and he wants your love and money, and not in that order.How would you feel if you were a Bobcats sponsor and were all but told you weren't doing enough?Many of this city's executives are fighting to turn a profit without laying off employees, and buying a luxury suite probably is not at the top of their to-do list."
    http://www.charlotte.com/sports/story/582830.html

And, from the same column, what probably bothered more people:
    "Johnson said Michael Jordan, who owns a chunk of the team and runs the basketball operation, expects to be compensated for appearances. Are you kidding me? I found that singularly offensive."

All that to say the people who still cared despite the losses weren't too thrilled about any of that. Most people I talk to are like, "whatever"

Vincent was a total disaster as the HC; it looks inept to make another change after just one season but it had to happen. Hiring Brown would at least buy the team a little credibility - it's really not a bad group of players, esp. in the Eastern conference, but they were horribly coached last season.

Quote Originally Posted by BCGroup View Post
    There's almost a disinterest, as opposed to disgust (which was how folks felt toward the end about Shinn). You get the UNC fans who are happy about the players, but when you don't win...There was a bump of excitement when MJ bought in, but the recent public relations fiasco when Bob Johnson gave an interview to the Observer took care of that. For example, Scott Fowler said:
    "Johnson's conversation with the Charlotte Observer on Monday, a conversation he initiated, was unbelievable. Billionaire Bob feels unappreciated, and he wants your love and money, and not in that order.How would you feel if you were a Bobcats sponsor and were all but told you weren't doing enough?Many of this city's executives are fighting to turn a profit without laying off employees, and buying a luxury suite probably is not at the top of their to-do list."
    http://www.charlotte.com/sports/story/582830.html

And, from the same column, what probably bothered more people:
    "Johnson said Michael Jordan, who owns a chunk of the team and runs the basketball operation, expects to be compensated for appearances. Are you kidding me? I found that singularly offensive."

All that to say the people who still cared despite the losses weren't too thrilled about any of that. Most people I talk to are like, "whatever"

I think its worth mentioning that the reason most Charlotte Citizens have turned their back is because they had to fund the $265 million arena for Billionaire Bob, despiting voting it down.

I agree--forgot that part! It was so interesting to watch how the officials bungled that entire mess. And now they are figuring out how to do it with minor league baseball to move it uptown. People are not interested in using tax dollars for entertainment venues, particularly given the current economic state. As a side note, I remember when the "new" Charlotte Coliseum was built out near the airport. Now I can say I remember when the "old" Charlotte Coliseum was destroyed at a very young age.