Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Johnny Dawkins reportedly offered the Stanford job

It's on the front page of Stanford's Scout site, plus a full article here: http://blogs.mercurynews.com/college...-someone-else/

He is apparently 1 of 3 or 4 finalists at this point . . with a decision to come very soon. Wow, I know we were all thinking what will happen with Miles . . but I never thought Dawkins might leave! Didn't Coach K want him to be the successor one day when he retires at Duke?

Stanford - the farm - should be so lucky to have JD. Don't see it happening, however.
    Last edited by Cavlaw; 04-26-2008 at 12:17 AM. Reason: Language - Don't try to get around the filters.

Ahh, good for him! I am glad he is finally considering being a head coach. I can't wait to see what he can do with coaching and recruiting.

And people think Duke fans are arrogant (well, we are but...)

As I posted below that article...

I’m a Duke fan. I’ll say this much, I don’t think Dawkins would come to Stanford, but if he did, you’d be lucky beyond lucky to have him. You CAN NOT find a better combination of experience (as a player and coach) and character. He is, hands down, one of the best men I know. And let’s be serious for a second…if the players that come to Duke WANTED to come to Stanford, they’d get in. Wilner’s choking on a crack pipe writing otherwise. We (and UNC) beat you CONSTANTLY on recruits you’re begging to come to the farm. Give me a freaking break.

If he got the job, it would be good for Duke. He would have head coach experience at a place with similar academic reputation, although not prestige. He could prove if he can be a good head coach before coming back to Duke.

I agree

Quote Originally Posted by Duke09 View Post
    If he got the job, it would be good for Duke. He would have head coach experience at a place with similar academic reputation, although not prestige. He could prove if he can be a good head coach before coming back to Duke.
    Johnny would benefit from it too. Prove himself at a lesser program and nobody questions the hire when he takes over. However, I'm not so sure there's not already a Jimbo Fisher-like contract in place for him.

I'm sure that 968 SAT average does NOT include Zoubek's stellar 1360.

To get on topic, I don't think Dawkins will take the job, but who knows. It's certainly an interesting position, and it would be good to get head coaching experience. I'm sure he would do well in that environment.

prestige

duke09, basketball prestige or academic prestige? I would say that Duke is obviously on another level in terms of basketball prestige and academically, I consider them essentially equal. If an edge is given to one school in terms of prestige, however, it's Stanford. Though the difference is small and pails in comparison to Duke's edge in basketball. Both amongst the best academic schools in the world.

What about a previous comment I thought I remembered that Coach K didn't want any coaching staff changes through thissummer... because of the Olympics...

I've heard that the pay is Stanford is almost laughable.

Trade Johnny Dawkins for Miles Plumlee? Ha Best to luck to Johnny if he is seriously considering this job.

Quote Originally Posted by devilboomer View Post
    I've heard that the pay is Stanford is almost laughable.
    The job includes a million dollar house and the assistants also get nice houses.

Johnny's trip to China this summer might give him a leg up on some Chinese recruits that are just a hop across the Pacific from Stanford

Quote Originally Posted by jma4life View Post
    duke09, basketball prestige or academic prestige? I would say that Duke is obviously on another level in terms of basketball prestige and academically, I consider them essentially equal. If an edge is given to one school in terms of prestige, however, it's Stanford. Though the difference is small and pails in comparison to Duke's edge in basketball. Both amongst the best academic schools in the world.
    I agree with you but will add that Stanford's endowment is considerably higher than Duke's and all of its athletic scholorships are funded, ( I believe by the donation of one individual), and that is the reason that every year Stanford always wins the Sears Trophy

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    The job includes a million dollar house and the assistants also get nice houses.
    A million dollar house in the Bay Area (Peninsula specific) may no longer exist. The minimum is probably $1.5 mil. And, for that price, he'd only have a 3 BR rancher. Probably not as good as what he has now. He needs a $5 mil house in Hillsborough -- with gardening and domestic help. (We might have a few illegals looking for work but...we have lot of legal help there, too.)

If I were him, I'd try to get them to buy him the house, so he can profit from it when (if) he ever leaves.

BTW, it's a great area to educate your children.

Johnny's trip to China this summer might give him a leg up on some Chinese recruits that are just a hop across the Pacific from Stanford
    So he and K will both find the next Yao Ming and compete for him? I'll bet they can both find a 7 foot agile center there. Over a billion folks to choose from. Still, might be a needle in a haystack.

My comments won't post on the article website, so I'll just paste it here since I already took the time to write it and I hate when people twist statistics around like this...

Inonehand's point is that someone like Sean Dockery (with an SAT in the 900s) would get into Stanford IF he wanted to go there to play basketball. But he didn't want to go there, so his SAT score has no bearing on Stanford's "admissions standards." which do not magically become higher every time that someone with a low SAT score decides to play elsewhere. To make a blanket statement like that based on SAT statistics is misleading, and in this case, just wrong.

Besides, filling the Stanford bench with a bunch of walk-ons drastically improves those numbers...

http://stanford.scout.com/a.z?s=18&p...id=555&yr=2006

http://duke.scout.com/a.z?s=167&p=8&c=2&nid=354&yr=2006

As you can see, Stanford's team here has 3 extra players to pad the stats. So you can massage the statistics all you want, but it's fairly safe to say that if the top player in the country wanted to play at "The Farm," he'd get in so long as he were eligible by NCAA standards.

Thumbs up A job interview?? OTB'ers know what that means

He'd be silly not to investigate and pursue. I hope he is offered the position. He has given his life to Duke; he deserves nothing less than the best for his family. At the very least, I hope JD gains tremendously from the process of job searching.

I agree with duke09's sentiments that taking such a position would put him in better stead for taking a Duke position, if offered, later.

And the thought of Duke connections at Harvard and Stanford sounds intriguing!

I say we send JD DBR job interview vibes.

Cheers,
    Lavabe

Quote Originally Posted by Blueequalslife23 View Post
    Trade Johnny Dawkins for Miles Plumlee? Ha Best to luck to Johnny if he is seriously considering this job.
    My bet is that if JD gets the Stanford job, Miles would stay in place at Stanford.

Just a guess, but that would make some sense, ya know?

--Jason "Stanford would be quite fortunate to get JD" Evans

I may be in the minority here but I think the Stanford job would be great for JD. You have a school with a solid basketball tradition, similar academic standards to Duke, a competitive conference in the Pac-10 but not all of the pressure that comes with coaching one of the elites. I'd like to see Dawkins hone his head coaching skills before he takes the Duke job and Stanford would be a great place for him to do so. I hope they offer it to him and I hope he takes it. I'll definitely be a cardinal fan.

That is one BIG hop.

I hope Johnny goes to Stanford. I do not want a head coach at Duke that never held a head coaching position first. Annointed ones do not always succeed without the experience of making the hard decisions.

Actually, you are trying to compare new apples and old apples

Quote Originally Posted by El_Diablo View Post
    My comments won't post on the article website, so I'll just paste it here since I already took the time to write it and I hate when people twist statistics around like this...

Inonehand's point is that someone like Sean Dockery (with an SAT in the 900s) would get into Stanford IF he wanted to go there to play basketball. But he didn't want to go there, so his SAT score has no bearing on Stanford's "admissions standards." which do not magically become higher every time that someone with a low SAT score decides to play elsewhere. To make a blanket statement like that based on SAT statistics is misleading, and in this case, just wrong.

Besides, filling the Stanford bench with a bunch of walk-ons drastically improves those numbers...

http://stanford.scout.com/a.z?s=18&p...id=555&yr=2006

http://duke.scout.com/a.z?s=167&p=8&c=2&nid=354&yr=2006

As you can see, Stanford's team here has 3 extra players to pad the stats. So you can massage the statistics all you want, but it's fairly safe to say that if the top player in the country wanted to play at "The Farm," he'd get in so long as he were eligible by NCAA standards.
    To put down my point and then actually use it in the last sentence...well, thanks, I guess. Good job. However, you can't look at last year's rosters and compare the authors review of SAT scores. Doesn't work. Not talking about the same years, in fact you have no idea what years he's writing about.

Stand by my statement...Stanford would take pretty much any of our recruits, and get them in.