Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
    So your premise is that legalization wont increase the number of people smoking mary j?
    I'm not going to say the number of people smoking weed won't increase at all but, IMO, it wouldn't increase that much. People who don't smoke marijuana don't do so because they don't want to, not because it's illegal. Not to mention, a TON of people in this country smoke weed to begin with.

With how easy it is to obtain weed in this country, I don't think access or legality is the reason more people don't smoke. There are enough negatives (mental, physical, etc.) to deter people from smoking chronic than its mere illegality.

Heck, if you only smoke weed on your property or at your place of residence and you're not selling it, the chances of you getting into legal trouble are slim to none. Chances are you could smoke and go about your business without ever having any issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Classof06 View Post
    People who don't smoke marijuana don't do so because they don't want to, not because it's illegal. Not to mention, a TON of people in this country smoke weed to begin with.

With how easy it is to obtain weed in this country, I don't think access or legality is the reason more people don't smoke. There are enough negatives (mental, physical, etc.) to deter people from smoking chronic than its mere illegality.

Heck, if you only smoke weed on your property or at your place of residence and you're not selling it, the chances of you getting into legal trouble are slim to none. Chances are you could smoke and go about your business without ever having any issue.
    Uhm. Im not sure thats entirely true...
    Now at age 40 I have a lot more to lose by getting busted smoking weed, than I did at say age 20. I dont want my home or car seized... hey anythings possible..

I see where you are going... but I wouldnt be sooo dismissive of the mere technicality of illegality.

well, if all you're doing is smoking a little weed, and you don't have like a bunch of baggies lying around, and you didn't sell any, and you don't have a bunch of cash lying in the box with your weed...more than likely, it's a simple possession thing and you can get an attorney to get you into the drug school and prolly never have it on your record. (i'm not saying i KNOW, but that's what i've heard).

but you are right, as an adult, you've got a lot more to lose when you piss off the cop at 3 am and all of a sudden you've got a kilo of coke in your trunk that you never knew was there..

Quote Originally Posted by wilko View Post
    Uhm. Im not sure thats entirely true...
    Now at age 40 I have a lot more to lose by getting busted smoking weed, than I did at say age 20. I dont want my home or car seized... hey anythings possible..

I see where you are going... but I wouldnt be sooo dismissive of the mere technicality of illegality.
    You would have a lot to lose by getting busted (as would I), but you'd more than likely have to take substantial risk (transporting it in your car, smoking in your car) and/or be reckless to get busted. If you're putting yourself in the line of danger like that, you probably deserve to get busted.

You also have to think about the negative stigma of marijuana in our society. Even if the government suddenly reversed track and legalized weed tomorrow, people who don't do it wouldn't just forget the X amount of years they'd heard so many negative things about it. You can make it legal but you can't erase the fact that most people are raised with the notion that marijuana is bad, for any number of reasons. Even if it is legalized, I don't see people suddenly forgetting what they've been told their whole lives and lighting up.

This is a general statement but I don't see anyone over the age of 30 who doesn't smoke marijuana suddenly starting because it's made legal.

Quote Originally Posted by Classof06 View Post
    You would have a lot to lose by getting busted (as would I), but you'd more than likely have to take substantial risk (transporting it in your car, smoking in your car) and/or be reckless to get busted.

You also have to think about the negative stigma of marijuana in our society. Even if the government suddenly reversed track and legalized weed tomorrow, people who don't do it wouldn't just forget the X amount of years they'd heard so many negative things about it.

This is a general statement but I don't see anyone over the age of 30 who doesn't smoke marijuana suddenly starting because it's made legal.
    Let me clear! I can fill the cup now with no issues. I havent used weed in years and its been longer still since I bought any. So Im NOT taking any risks at all these days. (its been much longer than 5 yrs, put it that way)

Im not so worried about the stigma.
    That kinda thing doesnt phase me. I like to delude myself into thinking I march to my own drummer. Thats prolly why I tried it to begin with ... Even with Nancy doing her "just say no bit" and that dude comparing my brain to an egg in my formative HS yrs.

I dont have faith in the Government to tell me the truth about anything. I'd be more concerned at what my healthcare provider thought and decided to Jack my premiums, than what Uncle Sam had said on the issue.

IF it were legal today I go buy some. Dang Skippy!! I dont know when or where I'd smoke it ... if ever. But it would make me feel alot better about my country to know that I could if I wanted to without a hassle.

I will still support Josh if he continues to use. I wish him luck, for good or ill he has made himself a large target. I applaud his honesty. But I doubt his life will be easier by going public.

Thers a large gap between being a current user and fomer user.