Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Josh Howard admits to using marijuana in off season

I'm not judging his personal choices, I doubt I have standing

But to publicly admit to illegal activities and to conduct which I believe violates the CBA, not smart:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3368139

In fact, anything Stephen A. Smith can call stupid must be really stupid. SAS was droning on that it makes all black players look bad. They ought to give Laettner a quick call.

I hope Josh likes peeing in a cup, I'll bet he gets a bunch of opportunities over the next year.

Well, he's not exactly the smartest Wake has ever had.

Dumb

Clearly, Josh likes a challenge. Or likes to challenge.

Or, maybe is a challenge.

"Appearing on the Michale Irvin show"
    What the heck kind of a show is that to announce your substance issues on?

I say good for him. It worked for Walton at UCLA.

Legalize

I know I will probably be berated for this, but I think they should legal pot. I think that the government should produce it and distribute it. It cost virtually nothing and could generate huge money for the states. They should lower the price down just enough to eliminate drug dealing (maybe $45 for a quarter bag down to $35). I don't smoke weed but I am all for anything that would cut my taxes. Why not let drug user pay them for me. Ethically the government doesn't always make the best decisions anyway. Who do you have to stand behind in line at the gas stations because they are filing out hopeless dreams called lottery tickets, the poor. And what kills more people than all drugs combined? Cigarettes. Lets legalize. Sorry I know it's a little off topic, but oh well. Howard can join all the others of wasted talent (Manigault, DT, Bias, among others).

I would normally let an player from Wake/unc/UMD/etc have it but as a Mavs fan I like Josh Howard. Bad time to announce during the playoffs but I hope he can solve his personal problems and the Mavs can solve the Hornets.

Josh Howard=Dumb but lets deal with it after the playoffs

Why talk about it

I don't care if every basketball player in the NBA smokes weed. Just don't talk about it as if it's perfectly fine when my son watches games and will hear that it doesn't affect their performance. When I have to tell him how bad it is for you and I can't touch the rim anymore, bong hit or not, and a guy that can score 20 a game in the NBA says that it's no big deal, I'm struggling in that battle. Just keep your big mouth shut, Josh. Especially after you pass the pipe.

pass it

Quote Originally Posted by MIKESJ73 View Post
    I know I will probably be berated for this, but I think they should legal pot. I think that the government should produce it and distribute it. It cost virtually nothing and could generate huge money for the states. Ethically the government doesn't always make the best decisions anyway. Who do you have to stand behind in line at the gas stations because they are filing out hopeless dreams called lottery tickets, the poor. And what kills more people than all drugs combined? Cigarettes. Lets legalize. {
    Amen. You got my vote.

tuff one

Quote Originally Posted by Inonehand View Post
    I don't care if every basketball player in the NBA smokes weed. Just don't talk about it as if it's perfectly fine when my son watches games and will hear that it doesn't affect their performance. When I have to tell him how bad it is for you and I can't touch the rim anymore, bong hit or not, and a guy that can score 20 a game in the NBA says that it's no big deal, I'm struggling in that battle. Just keep your big mouth shut, Josh. Especially after you pass the pipe.
    Im a dad too and can empathize a bit.

My kids are 5 and 3 so weeds grow out in the yard... Its not a danger for them them AT THE MOMENT. But that will change in time. I used to be QUITE indulgent back in the day... so Im torn on how to handle for my kids when the time comes. If I lie Im a hypocrite. I cant do nothing... Best thing is for them to legalize it and put an age limit on it...

Heck if it were legal... I'd have some now.

Quote Originally Posted by happydays1949 View Post
    Well, he's not exactly the smartest Wake has ever had.

I disagree, and I'm someone who wasn't crazy about Howard (even though I respected his talent) because of the trash talking he used to get into with Dahntay. Plus I've never been a Mavs fan. But I've come around to realizing that Howard is actually one of the more thoughtful guys in the pros.

This recent incident really wasn't very smart at all (with the team being in the playoffs), but Howard himself isn't a terrible guy. I liked TrueHoop's account of the situation. And the interview he did with Howard last year changed my opinion of him a little bit. It's worth checking out.

Funny how Howard got so much crap for what he said about our little adventure in Iraq when he was at Wake -- looking at his comments right now, he seemed quite prescient for a "dumb jock" from Wake.

A Dukie in The Big Easy?

Looks like someone "smoked" Josh in his final game this year:

Smoke this

Josh Howard had to know it was coming. As he stood by the scorer's table, awaiting the start of the second half, one of the few moments when the arena is relatively quiet, a fan within earshot barraged Howard with all the expected lines such as, "After tonight you can smoke all the weed you want." Howard eventually looked up at the heckler and muttered something under his breath. Howard can only hope the smoke clears by next season.
    http://www.star-telegram.com/287/story/613516.html

BTW, though I defended Howard as an interesting guy a few days ago, his play this last week was horrific beyond words...he pretty much deserved all the catcalls about weed smoking. I wonder if he'll end up on another team after all is said and done.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    We can give him hell for being stupid all we want, but the fact is that unless more people in the public eye open up about it, legalization will be an even longer time coming than it already is. I used to smoke plenty, but like others here have said, I have kids now, and have chosen not to in partake while they are living at home. Personally, I feel our jails are filled with enough people who truly deserve to be there. If we took out all the people who have been put in prison for marijuana offenses, there would be more resources available for better use.

the only reason it's NOT legal is cause there are no PFIZER or SQUIBB lobbyists on the case. Pot-heads can't seem to get their financial ducks in a row to de-demonize the wicked weed.

i agree with some of you....it's hard to look back at my own early years (hack, wheeze, cough!) and take a hard line in a hypocritical way, but the under theme is that smoking weed IS bad for you health...smoking ANYTHING is bad for your health. I truthfully believe i gave up a pretty darn good swimming career because i got hooked on cigs...

i wrote a letter to MJ and SI when he won his first Title and they had him on the cover smoking a cigar...not a good influence for the kids.

I agree that we should legalize it, put it under control (tobacco also!! ) and put an age limit on it...

the billions we take in on taxes alone could pay for...well, could pay for a whole WEEK of this iraq war thing...

Avery gone, Howard next

Howard just helped get Avery fired and Howard will definitely be on another team next year. What a waste of talent.

I wonder how leaglized marijuana would affect children...

How many parents would have their children around 2nd hand marijuana smoke? I see 2nd graders showing up for class with a buzz.

humm

Quote Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
    I wonder how leaglized marijuana would affect children...

How many parents would have their children around 2nd hand marijuana smoke? I see 2nd graders showing up for class with a buzz.
    You are assuming they dont already show up that way..

I guess about as many that are currently showing up for class drunk or as many showing up with a firearm now.

What some of these posts have to do with Josh Howard is now beyond me. It'll be interesting to see if Dallas wants to try and deal Howard in the offseason. His stats indicate that he's progressing towards becoming a star in the league, and he's a match up problem for teams all over the league. So, will Dallas be generous in trying to get rid of him and take very little in return, expect a huge trade, or keep him around?