Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: miles plumlee

Can there be a Zoubek thread, or can we just stick to the topic of Miles Plumlee by any chance?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    ...It is also worth noting that while Miles is a good prospect and Mason is a very good prospect, their younger brother Marshall is supposedly the best prospect in the family and could easily be a top ten recruit in the class of 2011. I have not problem at all with the Plumlee pipeline running through Duke for the next half dozen years!
    Would it be a recruiting violation to encourage Mr. and Mrs. Plumlee to consider continued procreation?

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Would it be a recruiting violation to encourage Mr. and Mrs. Plumlee to consider continued procreation?
    Let's see if we can get them to make a point guard.

I think that Mason and Miles know if they want to play together. I would imagine that before Miles did anything at Duke, he would talk to Mason about it. After all, they live in the same house so I am betting they would talk about it a bit.

The questions about why Duke did not recruit Miles earlier and whether we would be interested bother me. If the coaching staff likes him and want him now and he is free to pick a school, who are we to question why?

Maybe the loss of King opens up some space for a kid like Miles that would not have otherwise been here? Maybe the coaches took a closer look at Miles while they were evaluating Mason and saw something they had not seen before. Bottom line though is that we MAY be interested now and what happened in the past seems irrelevant right now.

Look, Miles committed to Stanford almost a year ago (June of 2007) and was probably recruited/evaluated by his other schools (Indiana, Virginia, Miami, Vandy, and others) well before that. Duke was focussed on Patrick Patterson and Greg Monroe when Miles was making his college choice. Now, very late in the game after we missed on PP and GM, there is a window of opportunity where Miles is suddenly available and, thanks to our recruitment of his brother, we actually have a good idea of what kind of kid Miles is. We are somewhat uniquely qualified to re-evaluate this kid and make a new decision about him. If the coaching staff is interested (and I am hearing that they are) then we, as fans, should be thrilled about that and counting our lucky stars.

It is also worth noting that while Miles is a good prospect and Mason is a very good prospect, their younger brother Marshall is supposedly the best prospect in the family and could easily be a top ten recruit in the class of 2011. I have not problem at all with the Plumlee pipeline running through Duke for the next half dozen years!

--Jason "for a team that was supposedly height challenged, we are suddenly getting a lot bigger!" Evans
    They could be Duke's Mahaffy family!

Quote Originally Posted by grossbus View Post
    "Except for the travelling part, this is a perfect description of Hansbrough..."

hanstravel has, as shown many times this year, a reliable J out to 15 feet. Z has not even taken a shot that far out.
    And Hansbrough actually has pretty good footwork. Yes, he gets away with a lot of travels, but he also has developed a nice spin move. And Hansbrough CAN actually defend bigs on the perimeter, and moves his feet pretty well for a big guy. There are very few similarities between Hansbrough and Zoubek.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    They could be Duke's Mahaffy family!
    Who?

-JE

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    And Hansbrough actually has pretty good footwork. Yes, he gets away with a lot of travels, but he also has developed a nice spin move. And Hansbrough CAN actually defend bigs on the perimeter, and moves his feet pretty well for a big guy. There are very few similarities between Hansbrough and Zoubek.
    Hansbrough can defend bigs on the perimeter, but not in the post (although taking charges is sometimes an effective defense). There's a reason he had only like 15 blocks all of last season, while Danny Green had 3 times as many. I'd agree that his footwork is pretty good, though, to get into position to take charges. And his J is pretty solid; and I won't question his offensive skills. But his post D in the NBA would be fairly dismal, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    Hansbrough can defend bigs on the perimeter, but not in the post (although taking charges is sometimes an effective defense). There's a reason he had only like 15 blocks all of last season, while Danny Green had 3 times as many. I'd agree that his footwork is pretty good, though, to get into position to take charges. And his J is pretty solid; and I won't question his offensive skills. But his post D in the NBA would be fairly dismal, IMO.
    I agree. I was just commenting on the comment about the similarities between Hansbrough and Zoubek, not Hansbrough's NBA prospects.

Who?

-JE
    The Mahaffy brothers who played at Clemson in the 60's. There was a set of twins and one or two others. Donny, Randy, etc., etc. They were big guys that took up a lot of space on the court in the days when Clemson regularly was at or near the bottom of the ACC. I recall that Press Maravich may have coached the oldest brothers.

For what it's worth - and it may not be much - Miles is ranked 101 in the current rivals class of 2008 rankings. Czyz is #113.
    Singler is IRON

I STILL GOT IT! -- Ryan Kelly, March 2, 2013

Quote Originally Posted by mr. synellinden View Post
    For what it's worth - and it may not be much - Miles is ranked 101 in the current rivals class of 2008 rankings. Czyz is #113.
    I don't think we want to send a scholarship to another project. Those who say we need him are just thinking that we need new blood down low, but I think it is better to wait for a true impact big-man later rather than taking a chance on a project today

Who?

-JE
    The Mahaffey family sent 4 boys to Clemson from '60 to '70:

Tom Mahaffey – 6’7” 1960-1962

Donnie Mahaffey – 6’8” 1962-1964

Randy Mahaffey – 6’7” 1965-1967

Richie Mahaffey – 6’7” 1967-1970

http://www.sportsstats.com/bball/ind...r_index.html#M

Miles was injured during his high school season and this played a role in Masons rise. The Rivals rankings are a joke. I saw the kid play at last seasons NBA Top 100 camp and again during the state chamionships this season. Having interviewed all three Plumlee sons, asking their Father and Mom for quotes and knowing his high school coach I can tell you that they have communicated with one another. If you happened upon my article on Mason for Blue Devil Weekly, you will see where he had entertained playing alongside his brother, but that Duke just felt like the right choice. Miles was present during ALL of those visits to campus. Surely, seeing their sons play together at one school would be enticing to the family. Needless to say, I've had a pretty good grip on the Plumlee's and they are solid prospects.

"I've had a pretty good grip on the Plumlee's and they are solid prospects."

and not "projects", right wat?

Perhaps now with JDawk going to Stanford, Miles will consider staying there? Having the Plumlee brothers in a Duke uniform, however, sounds like a fun prospect...

As for asking the Plumlee parents to procreate us another prospect, we should hold off. I remember chanting "One more son" to the Hills on Grant's senior day. Similar restraint toward the Plumlee's would be advisable.

Quote Originally Posted by davekay1971 View Post
    As for asking the Plumlee parents to procreate us another prospect, we should hold off. I remember chanting "One more son" to the Hills on Grant's senior day. Similar restraint toward the Plumlee's would be advisable.
    Now the stakes are even higher! "We" need some athletically and academically talented bigs for Johnny D at Stanford as well.

I've got a Barry White CD I can loan out ...

Quote Originally Posted by grossbus View Post
    "I've had a pretty good grip on the Plumlee's and they are solid prospects."

and not "projects", right wat?
    All prospects excpet for a few are projects. But in the sense you are asking, no. What they are is late bloomers. Some kids take a year or so more to fully mature physically. The Plumlees had to catch up to their bodies. Miles will be courted by many. I am sure JD will play into it, but he had little to do with Mason's recruitment. It could be fair to say that starting a relationship with JD could happen, but it is also fair to say that he is already familiar with Duke through his brother and meeting K and the bunch.

Here's my solution watzone... Miles goes to Stanford and Derrick Favors commits to Duke... can you please let them know that this is the plan... thanks.

Wouldn't it be a little odd if Miles came to Duke now that JD is going to Stanford? I recognize it's more complicated than that, but still...

Quote Originally Posted by freedevil View Post
    Wouldn't it be a little odd if Miles came to Duke now that JD is going to Stanford? I recognize it's more complicated than that, but still...
    Not a very fair trade...