Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: miles plumlee

Okay NOW I'm Confused

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    No reports have surfaced of Miles contacting schools other than Duke, except to the extent that Coach Dawkins has said he will talk to Miles.

I don't believe that other schools are allowed to contact Miles until he is released from his letter of intent from Stanford. It sounds like the timing of Miles' announcement does not contemplate opening up recruiting.
    Yes I was confused before, but my parents were at Woodstock so I have an excuse. One post is saying Miles knows where is transfering to, and another saying Dawkins will try and convince him to stay but wouldn't be surprised if he ended up a Blue Devil. Then you said, "I don't believe that other schools are allowed to contact Miles until he is released from his letter of intent from Stanford". If another school can't talk to a player until being released from the LOI, how can he KNOW where he can or will go. What I'm saying is, let's say Joe Blow is the top recruit for Georgetown, they lose their coach and Joe wants to go elsewhere. It's not like once out of his LOI Joe can demnd to go to Kentucky, UCLA or where ever. So there has to be some communication doesn't there? Is there a contradiction there that only I am seeing? Or is what you are saying correct and someone, somewhere is breaking NCAA rules?

What this thread needs is some good speculation, possibilities and rumor mongering about Patrick Patterson, Monroe and John Riek!

I believe Miles is allowed to contact schools, who may then talk to him, but schools other than Stanford are not allowed to initiate contact.

Another question, are schools allowed to contact Miles' coach now to convey that they would be interested in Miles once he is released from his LOI?

Which Coach?

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    I believe Miles is allowed to contact schools, who may then talk to him, but schools other than Stanford are not allowed to initiate contact.

Another question, are schools allowed to contact Miles' coach now to convey that they would be interested in Miles once he is released from his LOI?

Which Coach? Dawkins, his high school coach; can they contact his parents? You explained my first question very well, but you have to be specific because every answer is just leading to a new question.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Corey View Post
    Okay, Mike...I'll bite (so to speak) on your juicy post

The rumors are finally bearing fruit; this is a plum acquisition; there are three plums in Duke's basketball future?

Plums?

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Okay, Mike...I'll bite (so to speak) on your juicy post

The rumors are finally bearing fruit; this is a plum acquisition; there are three plums in Duke's basketball future?
    Those are plums? I thought they were grapes, as in sour grapes. Which I'm allergic to by the way; I break out in hives and my throat swells to the point I can't breathe.

Quote Originally Posted by Latta6970 View Post
    ...sour grapes. Which I'm allergic to by the way; I break out in hives and my throat swells to the point I can't breathe.
    Do what I do. Avoid sour grapes by never losing and never being wrong.

Does anybody have an idea as to what kind of time-frame we are working with here? When might Plumlee decide?

Quote Originally Posted by BlueintheFace View Post
    Does anybody have an idea as to what kind of time-frame we are working with here? When might Plumlee decide?
    I believe his release comes through, if at all, on Monday, 5/5.

Who Are You?

Quote Originally Posted by Truth View Post
    Do what I do. Avoid sour grapes by never losing and never being wrong.
    Are you my ex wife, the 1st one. The second one had PMS and ESP, potty mouth thought she knew everything. LOL! Seriously though, I can't drink wine or even eat a raisin.

People I love this potty mouth censor!!!!! It actually allows the reader to insert a word of profanity of their own choosing!

Interesting turn of events...

Quote Originally Posted by 3rd Dukie View Post
    They all went to LaGrange High School in LaGrange, GA, and every year for what seemed like millenia, they constantly obliterated my high school team in the state tournament.
    There had to have been several dozen of them!
    Wow, I can't believe there is such familiarity with the Mahaffy family. One of my best friends through six years of jr. high and high school was Tom Mahaffy's daughter. I knew they all played at Clemson, but I didn't think anyone but me knew about them.

Quote Originally Posted by Latta6970 View Post
    Who are you?
    I am Truth, the ever-living...

Like I thought

Quote Originally Posted by SilkyJ View Post
    Careful using words like "duty" with regard to coach K. You'll find your definition and his vary greatly. I doubt he views it as his "duty" to go after Miles Plumlee.

Jeff Capel ain't...wait for it...Johnny Dawkins. JD is light years closer to coach K than Jeff ever was or is. Not to mention recruiting straight up (i.e. going after Blake Griffin) is not the same as going after a recruit after his future coach leaves the school, and one of your best friend's is hired to replace him. I could elaborate, but I don't really think I need to.

A) obviously not every Duke fan expects him to do that. you are arguing with one who does not expect him to do that.

B) There are not only two options as you suggest: 1) recruit miles or 2) coax him to go back to stanford. He could also 3) sit back and do nothing while letting Johnny give it a go at re-recruiting him, which is what I believe he will do. (Then if johnny is unsuccessful he can go after him).

For the record, I am pretty to very confident that we (Duke) will get Miles.

I'm not here to say "I told you so," but just like I envisioned, Plumlee was granted his release yesterday afternoon and had signed with Duke by dinner time.

What that tells me is that Krzyzewski didn't call the dogs off just because Dawkins was the coach and he shouldn't have. It was naive to think that Krzyzewski would or should take a back seat in the recruitment because Dawkins was named Stanford coach. It's naive because the kid didn't want to be at Stanford regardless of who ended up being coach; which is why Kryzyzewski didn't waste any time in pursuing the kid.

Welcome aboard, Miles..

just curious, but does anyone have the slightest idea why Miles suddenly wanted out of Stanford? Not that I'm complaining, but the whole situation just seems a little odd.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronCrazy'11 View Post
    just curious, but does anyone have the slightest idea why Miles suddenly wanted out of Stanford? Not that I'm complaining, but the whole situation just seems a little odd.
    I would say first and foremost, the coach that recruited Miles (Trent Johnson) is no longer there. No college basketball player wants to enter a situation where they're playing for a coach that didn't recruit them because there are no real loyalties or deep ties; if a player can avoid that situation, they will. Given that Miles hadn't yet enrolled, it was a situation he could somewhat easily avoid. In some ways, he's fortunate things turned out the way they did when they did.

For instance, one of my teammates in high school was recruited by Oliver Purnell to play at Dayton; he signed and went. His (and my) freshman year, he played 15-20 minutes a game on a veteran team and the future was looking bright for him (they actually came to CIS and played Duke over winter break that year). Purnell goes to Clemson after his freshman year, Brian Gregory comes in and the kid never sees solid playing time again. Some of that has to do with him personally but the bottom line is that Gregory brought in his own kids and that was that.

But based on what the parents said, Stanford wasn't very responsive to the Plumlee family and didn't really make an effort to keep them apprised of what was going on, how the search was going, etc. That justifiably turned them off from Stanford. If you really want the kid, then you do your best to keep them informed.

Whatever. Their loss is our gain...

Quote Originally Posted by CameronCrazy'11 View Post
    Just speculation, but it could have been the reality of his situation sinking in. As a high school junior, leaving your family to go across the continent to Stanford might seem exciting. Then, he plays a year with BOTH brothers on the same team, and starts going on trips to Duke and realizes how alone he will be on the west coast. His family is excited about Duke and about how many games they will be able to see in person. He is impressed with the Duke staff and facilities - which he never got to see before committing to Stanford.

Then a scholarship at Duke opens up.

Then the coaching staff at Stanford leaves, the guys he was familiar with. Now he would be totally alone on the west coast.

An opportunity to reconsider the situation arises.

Duke is interested.

I don't see his decision as odd at all.

It is fate