Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Jamil Wilson recruitment

http://www.prepspotlight.com/home/us...it--free-story

Nice story on Jamil who seems to be a great, bright kid with his head on straight. It seems like he and his family would be attracted to Duke's academics and the family-like atmosphere of the program. Check out one of his dad's quotes:

“It’s been OK,” said Wilson’s father James, a former Division III ball player who stands at 6-foot-8. “It’s been good. It’s a good learning experience for him. Right now I tell him, ‘Take it with a grain of salt and appreciate what’s happening to you. Continue to work on your game, work on your craft because right now you’re a dime a dozen. There are a whole bunch of you out here. There’s a whole bunch of 6-foot-7 sophomores out here that can play basketball. You’ve gotta have the whole package. You’ve got to be able to play, rebound, shoot, score, play defense and most important you’ve gotta keep your books in order.’”

Jamil says he wants to stay close to home but check out his thoughts on Duke and Coach K:

“I grew up watching Michael Jordan so I was always more of a North Carolina fan,” he said. “But as I started watching more basketball Mike Krzyzewski, I always liked the way he coached and I always liked the way his teams played. So I was a big fan of going to Duke but now that I think, that’s a little [too] far away but I could go that far but I have to sit down and talk to my family.”
    Singler is IRON

I STILL GOT IT! -- Ryan Kelly, March 2, 2013

Is he in Plumley's class or 2010?

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Beem View Post
    Is he in Plumley's class or 2010?
    Plumlee's

Singler is IRON

I STILL GOT IT! -- Ryan Kelly, March 2, 2013

Quote Originally Posted by mr. synellinden View Post
    http://www.prepspotlight.com/home/us...it--free-story

Nice story on Jamil who seems to be a great, bright kid with his head on straight. ...
    Nice read. Thanks for the link.

For what its worth the following Rivals link says he's not closing door on Duke, yet:
    http://basketballrecruiting.rivals.c...tid=&mid=&rid=

I think once we get him on campus and he sees the place and meets the players, we'll be right in the mix.

Maybe..

Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post
    I think once we get him on campus and he sees the place and meets the players, we'll be right in the mix.
    When a player says "I want to stay close to home".. Its really tough to get him to leave. A visit does help, but I wouldnt count on anything.

Im sure Watzone knows a little more, but im thinking we are on the outside looking in(Just from articles, and from what i have heard). Im not a subscriber to any premium info. Have some friends though...

More importantly, I havent heard anything recent on Terrell Vinson or any other targets. I heard they all have been playing well, but not when they are going to make a decision.

Red face Time will tell

Quote Originally Posted by DukeBlood View Post
    When a player says "I want to stay close to home".. Its really tough to get him to leave. A visit does help, but I wouldnt count on anything.

Im sure Watzone knows a little more, but im thinking we are on the outside looking in(Just from articles, and from what i have heard). Im not a subscriber to any premium info. Have some friends though...
    I'm definitely not counting my chickens, but I just remember Jason Williams' mom dragging him to Durham, thinking Boozer wouldn't leave the West coast, thinking we could never get an elite NC kid (Shav) into a Duke uniform, etc. I feel like I've heard the story before, and then when the kid finds out what Duke is all about, things can shift somewhat...

Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post
    I'm definitely not counting my chickens, but I just remember Jason Williams' mom dragging him to Durham, thinking Boozer wouldn't leave the West coast, thinking we could never get an elite NC kid (Shav) into a Duke uniform, etc. I feel like I've heard the story before, and then when the kid finds out what Duke is all about, things can shift somewhat...
    I agree with you to an extent. Duke isn't out of the running for this kid. If he were to decide today, He would stay close to home. Duke will have to blow him away with his visit.

Its not impossible for kids that say I want to stay close to home to leave the state. But it really is that much harder. Im just saying Duke will have to make a better impression then Wisky or Marquette.

I agree with you to an extent. Duke isn't out of the running for this kid. If he were to decide today, He would stay close to home. Duke will have to blow him away with his visit.

Its not impossible for kids that say I want to stay close to home to leave the state. But it really is that much harder. Im just saying Duke will have to make a better impression then Wisky or Marquette.
    Yes, I agree with you as well. I think we are just really good at getting ourselves in the position of being in a players top 3 or 4 choices, and often as one of the only out-of-state choices, ie Elliott Williams: UT, Memphis, UVA, Duke. I also think that it's easy on a kid to just say he wants to be close to home so that he doesn't take a lot of local heat during the recruiting process. It's politically better and easier on the recruit if those home schools stay in the mix until the end. In a bunch of cases, the home state schools are on the recruit's short list because that's where they want to go, but I think also that kids can keep their home state schools in the mix as a nod to the local fans, and to make things easier on themselves.

Our best opportunity would be for him to visit in January when he can get on a plane where it is a balmy 8 degrees with a wind chill well below zero and land in Durham where it is 45 or 50 degrees. Sure did the trick for me oh so many years ago

Since the new education/practice facility has been finished, have we had a recruit visit and turn us down?

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Our best opportunity would be for him to visit in January when he can get on a plane where it is a balmy 8 degrees with a wind chill well below zero and land in Durham where it is 45 or 50 degrees. Sure did the trick for me oh so many years ago

Since the new education/practice facility has been finished, have we had a recruit visit and turn us down?
    Greg Echenique.

I read the rivals article on Jamil Wilson. Without giving away too much insider info (I would gladly do so, but that would be disrespectful to other paid subscribers), I have a great feeling about our chances to land this kid. His quotes about Duke showed me he really loves Duke and is dying to play for us. We just haven't offered. I also think that the fact that he is making an official visit to Duke when we haven't even offered him is a good sign.

Quote Originally Posted by houstondukie View Post
    I read the rivals article on Jamil Wilson. Without giving away too much insider info (I would gladly do so, but that would be disrespectful to other paid subscribers), I have a great feeling about our chances to land this kid. His quotes about Duke showed me he really loves Duke and is dying to play for us. We just haven't offered. I also think that the fact that he is making an official visit to Duke when we haven't even offered him is a good sign.
    Thank you for that information.

But why would he say Locatoin is a factor? It could be Edouble said and its just to keep the media off his back(something I didnt really think of, a great tactic as well).

Anyway, Why doesnt Duke offer? They have one more offer available...

Kenny Boynton
    Leslie McDonald
    Mason Plumlee(committed)

Do they have 2 more available?? I know Vinson and a few others are on the radar.. Why dont they start giving scholarships out?

Thank you for that information.

But why would he say Locatoin is a factor? It could be Edouble said and its just to keep the media off his back(something I didnt really think of, a great tactic as well).

Anyway, Why doesnt Duke offer? They have one more offer available...

Kenny Boynton
    Leslie McDonald
    Mason Plumlee(committed)

Do they have 2 more available?? I know Vinson and a few others are on the radar.. Why dont they start giving scholarships out?
    I do think location will play a big factor, but my feeling is that if Duke offered him, he will ultimately decide to leave home. Just a feeling, but a very good feeling.

I don't know why Duke hasn't offered? Perhaps Coach K thinks he doesn't fit our style of play. Not sure.

Should have 2 available to offer seems Echinique went elsewhere and King transfered.

Quote Originally Posted by kramerbr View Post
    Should have 2 available to offer seems Echinique went elsewhere and King transfered.
    Yup, I thought i was missing someone. Guess not.

On the radar. Favors, Vinson, Jon Hood, and Wilson. Im not sure of the others. Dawkins checked out John Wall and a couple others, but not sure if they are "On the radar" anymore or not. Hopefully Coach K will grab a couple more.

I dont think its a good idea to sign 5 players from this class. One or Two of them would almost certainly transfer. Three or maybe four would be great(Boynton, McDonald, Plumlee, and Favors/Vinson/Wilson or Hood)

Quote Originally Posted by houstondukie View Post
    I don't know why Duke hasn't offered? Perhaps Coach K thinks he doesn't fit our style of play. Not sure.
    I don't think we'd be recruiting him in the first place if we didn't think he was a fit. Typically, we recruit a bunch of players but are very frugal with our scholarships. I'd chalk it up to that.

Yup, I thought i was missing someone. Guess not.

On the radar. Favors, Vinson, Jon Hood, and Wilson. Im not sure of the others. Dawkins checked out John Wall and a couple others, but not sure if they are "On the radar" anymore or not. Hopefully Coach K will grab a couple more.

I dont think its a good idea to sign 5 players from this class. One or Two of them would almost certainly transfer. Three or maybe four would be great(Boynton, McDonald, Plumlee, and Favors/Vinson/Wilson or Hood)
    Are we still going after Painter and/or Riley? We seemed to be showing interest and then recently, I haven't heard anything. I agree that I would rather not have a class of 5. It seems that whenever we sign a really large class that we either suffer transfers or the following year we have a really small class which inevitably leaves us with a season without seniors.

Location WAS a factor...unfortunately it was because his mother was sick and he wanted to be close to her..duh. if i understand correctly his mother has sense passed away. that is why i think we havent pursued him too hard until now. he seems like a great kid with his head squarely on his shoulders....hopefully we can knock his socks off on his visit

Quote Originally Posted by devilboomer View Post
    Greg Echenique.
    ... canceled his visit. (Correct?)