Quick Boston trip advice

I'm going to a bat mitzvah in Northampton, MA on July 5. I fly into Boston Logan on July 2 (10pm, so straight to the hotel), and then will drive to Northampton on July 4 afternoon.

This gives me a full day on the 3rd, and at most half a day on the 4th, to check out Boston. I've never been... any suggestions on where to go/what to see?

Also, any thoughts on where to stay in Boston- hotels &/or areas? I had a bit of sticker shock when first looking at prices, but I seem to have gotten over that somewhat (thank goodness I used miles for my flight!).

Thanks in advance!
    Sue

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    A hotel in Boston is going to be more expensive than in the burbs. Still since you're getting in kind of late on the 2nd, I'd pick one along the river for the nice views. Those are actually in Cambridge. The Royal Sonesta comes to mind or the Embassy Guest Suites. Perhaps those are less expensive. That one is on the Boston side and it's kind of stuck out there by the road but the views would be lovely. There's a free rehearsal for the annual 4th of July concert on the Esplanade (I think) on the 3rd. It might be worth googling that if that event holds any interest.

I'd head out towards Northhampton for the evening of the 3rd if you want to get a less expensive hotel. It's about an hour drive, maybe more, from Boston proper. If you're a knitter though, you really should check out Webs in Northhampton (http://www.yarn.com) great website but and even better store. It's outstanding. I actually make the drive out there 1-2 times a year just to go that store. It's knitters' heaven. I'm sure it won't be open on the 4th but maybe the 5th.

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    I'd head out towards Northhampton for the evening of the 3rd if you want to get a less expensive hotel. It's about an hour drive, maybe more, from Boston proper.

The hotel we're staying at in Northampton is $200+/nt, and I'm already there on the 4th & 5th. So I figured I'd treat myself to Boston since I'll be seeing the sights anyway and it's not that much of a bump in price (especially considering I'm not staying on the night of the 4th).

Forgot to mention- I checked out Cambridge/Harvard U. for about 3 hours once while visiting with a friend who worked at Harvard at the time. Other than that, I've never been to Boston!

Quote Originally Posted by sue71 View Post
    The hotel we're staying at in Northampton is $200+/nt, and I'm already there on the 4th & 5th. So I figured I'd treat myself to Boston since I'll be seeing the sights anyway and it's not that much of a bump in price (especially considering I'm not staying on the night of the 4th).

Forgot to mention- I checked out Cambridge/Harvard U. for about 3 hours once while visiting with a friend who worked at Harvard at the time. Other than that, I've never been to Boston!
    Take a shot at the 'Name your price' feature on Priceline. You may well be able to get a 4-star in downtown Boston for less than $200 per night.

I use it for all of my business travel, and I frequently get 30-50% off of the listed room rates.

Don't know if you're into museums. The Fine Art Museum is superb and worthy of a day. I often suggest to travel clients who visit a city for the first time that they do a city tour soon after they arrive. It's a good way to see get oriented and also see quite a bit.